Sapphire 5870 with Starcraft 2 lockups

Memphisk

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
The problem that i am having is when i play, sometimes the game will lock up (freeze) for a few seconds, then resume. Some other times it will freeze, few seconds later, screen turns a certain color, then resumes again. Last night i was playing on the campign and during the cut scenes, they would talk, but no moving images, or the game will freeze, then go again. Anyone else having the same issue?

update:

So i was playing the campaign again, and during a mission, my screen froze for 2-3 seconds then went solid green. After about 5-10 seconds, the game resume to work perfectly fine.

Memphisk

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
System Manufacturer: BIOSTAR Group
System Model: TH55B HD
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4088MB RAM
Page File: 2125MB used, 6047MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
ATI Sapphire 5870 10.7 cata

welshmousepk

Distinguished
have you overclocked the GPU?

sounds like an unstable overclock. if you havn't i would assume either a temperature issue (download GPUz and monitor temps) or just a problem with the driver (use driver sweeper and roll back to an older catalyst suite.)

hardwaretechy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Another question to ask is, does this behavior happen in any other games? Specifically any games that are more taxing than SC2?

This is probably redundant but when you installed the 10.7 drivers did you properly uninstall & clean the old drivers? Did you go back into CCC afterwards to make sure that your settings didn't reset to default? What 3D settings are you actually running?

I have a Sapphire 5870 too, running on an older driver version (10.3a actually), and the game is smooth as butter.

You might also want to take a look at the HDD that holds your virtual memory (pagefile), make sure its defragged. This should have no impact on a cut scene but games are known to make heavy use of the pagefile sometimes and if the drive performance is less than optimal, you could see these kinds of delays. Typically having 4GB of RAM, your pagefile should be no larger than 512MB, forcing most things into RAM.

I had that happening during the Beta, but it was mainly due to using crossfire. By disabling Catalyst A.I., it fixed the issue. However, I currently do not need to disable A.I. and it's been running very well so I'm a bit at a loss as to what the problem might be.

If your card is overclocked, then I'd definitely suggest lowering the memory clock and see if it helps.

Memphisk

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
My psu is currently 650. As far as overclocking my video card, its set at stock. I also disabled the Catalyst A.I. and the issue still wasnt fix.

Odd thing, last night i changed all my settings from ultra to Low, and it seemed to play fine. I cant say this for sure because i only did 2-3 missions, but it seemed fine. Other games that i play are WOW and Mass Effect 2. Both games which i run everything at ultra setting without any problems

BTMoonlight

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

the problem you are going through with is known as amdkmdap. I am also suffering from this.
Event log 4101.

I am also hoping for a fix.

Memphisk

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010

If this is the issue, why does it only happen when i play starcraft 2? when i play WOW, masss effect 2, crysis, none of them has this issue

Ishkrish

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I too experience this issue.

Win 7 x64 Ultimate
AMD Athlon x2 2.8ghz
4gb ram
ATI HD 5770 1gb GDDR5
DX11

Fresh installation of windows, latest drivers, latest windows updates.
Tried rolling back drivers to catalyst 10.6 and 10.4 with the same issue occuring.

Crash only occurs during gameplay and happens at random intervals. I also experience the issue regardless of settings on ULTRA or LOW. There are no framerate issues at all, only a sudden pause in gameplay and crash to desktop.

Its starting to appear like a bug from the research I've done.
All proposed fixes have not corrected the issue.

I've tried
- modifying the ini file with framerate min and max values.
- reinstalling the game
- reinstalling windows (No antivirus was installed before I installed the game)
- older and newer drivers
- latest bios update
- manual install of c+++ redist, .net framework 3.5 etc.
- DX11 june 2010

I've been led to believe that the game is primarily optimized for single core for compatibility reasons, although I have no way of confirming this. So I was going to try adjusting the affinity in the task manager on the process to a single core and see how that pans out when I get home.

TRENDING THREADS