Sign in with
Your question

Micro ATX Build. Do I have to sacrifice performance?

Last response: in Systems
September 3, 2010 2:05:42 AM

Hey, everyone, I just typed up this long question and erased it all, because I want to start simple.

Lets say I want 8GB ram, and a $200 - $300 video card and a $200 - $300 processor, 120GB - 128GB SSD, DVD Burner and a sufficient power supply all in a Micro ATX case. Is it possible? :o 

What about if I want a 2 TB HDD on the outside with at lease eSata or usb 3.0 speed? Do they make motherboards/cases that will handle this?

Thanks!

September 3, 2010 2:43:31 AM

My Buy Time is between now and October. My monitors are dual 1680x1050. I look around first, but always end up shopping at Newegg, and I'm in America. I would put productivity software first, gaming second, small form factor third, watching/encoding video fourth and no blinking or glowing or neon lights fifth.
m
l
September 3, 2010 3:00:42 AM

There's no reason you can't get that in an mATX build. If you wanted more memory or more than dual-GPUs, it could be a problem. I believe most mATX cases will hold 2 hard drives. It's really only when you get into the super small form factors that it becomes a problem.

See this Gigabyte board for most of what you're looking for on an H55 board, X58 or AM3 should be easier to find.
m
l
Related resources
September 3, 2010 3:24:23 AM

The mATX must accommodate a big video card, not all of them can do that.
m
l
September 3, 2010 4:54:54 PM

8GB of Ram is for Photoshop, visual studio, gaming and opening 200 firefox tabs with firebug at once. I'm going 64 bit, so i might as well take advantage of more addressable memory.

Can it be done with 2x4BG sticks?
m
l
September 3, 2010 5:01:26 PM

Thanks Everyone, Just wondering: What are the most powerful small form factor video cards. Is heat going to be my main enemy if I get a Micro ATX case?
m
l
September 3, 2010 5:23:38 PM

The 1366 platform is quite hot. You can get the AM3 or 1156.
m
l
September 4, 2010 4:20:11 PM

secondsystem said:
Thanks Everyone, Just wondering: What are the most powerful small form factor video cards. Is heat going to be my main enemy if I get a Micro ATX case?

Small form factor video cards. Wha? You mean low profile? Well that depends...

Just to show you a really powerful mATX motherboard, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
September 4, 2010 5:04:31 PM

Actually i do up more SFF/mATX these days and for these kind of rigs forget about CF/SLI and find out after market HSF height limitation as per casing of choice (if applicable) before buying hehe
m
l
!