My PC is done! :D now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpark90

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
hey everyone! my new computer is finally built with windows 7 64bit installed. Now my question is what should i install, update, do with my computer before i start loading games etc on it?

Solution
Usually, just make sure your video card drivers are the latest version, is the main thing. And obviously, install an antivirus program before you go on the web. You can literally get attacked within minutes.

You can check and see if there have been any important motherboard or BIOS updates released ... but those are usually something where you don't mess with either of them unless your current versions giving you issues. And I think Windows 7 is pretty good about taking care of that for you, so maybe don't even bother.

Other than that, as long as the system is running with no problem, you're good to go. Maybe install CoreTemp if you want to make sure the thing isn't overheating. But once Windows is installed, you can pretty much use...
Usually, just make sure your video card drivers are the latest version, is the main thing. And obviously, install an antivirus program before you go on the web. You can literally get attacked within minutes.

You can check and see if there have been any important motherboard or BIOS updates released ... but those are usually something where you don't mess with either of them unless your current versions giving you issues. And I think Windows 7 is pretty good about taking care of that for you, so maybe don't even bother.

Other than that, as long as the system is running with no problem, you're good to go. Maybe install CoreTemp if you want to make sure the thing isn't overheating. But once Windows is installed, you can pretty much use it as-is.

Solution

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Once the os is installed, you should run windows update as quickly as possible to install all drivers and updates that microsoft has in their database for your computer - then load up an antivirus program to from then on protect your computer while searching for any missing drivers or better drivers that windows didn't install.

Status
Not open for further replies.