Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Games
  • Starcraft 2
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 236 U Graphics card
July 29, 2010 12:41:38 PM

just an FYI for readers, looks as if bit-tech is out of the gate first with a review

But StarCraft 2 is good. Very good. Utterly absorbingly good. The gameplay may be a decade old but it’s been balanced and tuned to a razor sharp point before being wrapped in an engrossing storyline and excellent campaign mode. The game is chock full of quality missions and set pieces and while there are some ideas that fall a bit flat, the highlights shine through like a high power laser through wet toilet paper.

The production values throughout are stratospherically high too, from the superb voiceovers to the simply jaw dropping rendered cut scenes, all of which leaves you with a feeling of, well, grandeur. So much care and attention has been shown in the making of the game that after sitting down and playing StarCraft 2’s single player, we were left with just one way to describe it; “epic.”

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2010/07/29/starcraft-...

I've never played the original, other then the Civ games never really liked RTS. although blizzard does make great games.

More about : star craft review

July 29, 2010 12:52:54 PM

i really dont like rts games either, i prefer first person shooters, sandbox games ( like gta4 and saboteur) and anything else except sport games ( their all horrible)
a c 236 U Graphics card
July 29, 2010 1:32:22 PM

here's a good break down of CPU + GPU performance.

http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performan...

currently a strong advantage in Nvidia cards. the 9800GT outpacing the better ATI 4850, similar to the GT 240 and ATI 5670, GTX260 and ATI 5850 offer equal performance at ultra 1680x1050.

on the CPU side, the AMD CPU (especially athlons) don't look so hot. as with Beta, two cores are just as good as four....even better in some cases.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2010 3:26:00 PM

It's a shame they didn't make it more capable of supporting Multi-core as CPU intensive as the game is you'd think they would have programmed it better - but I'll wait awhile before buying due to their dropping of LAN support - esp. seeing that even the reviewer mentions how he and another person couldn't both get stable connections on Battle.net in order to play in the same place - they really need to either spend the extra Money needed to handle all of their customers during launches and the additional load the new release brings or put back the LAN support ! - I mean they force us to use Battle.net to play against\with others in our home and then cant even give us a reliable connection to do so because their system is overloaded
July 30, 2010 7:23:12 AM

SC2 has a known GPU melting issue... :-(
Quote:
'Anyone else have StarCraft II try to melt their hardware? Blizzard admits that it's a known issue and has a fix for you.

Apparently, the game's menu screens aren't framerate-limited. This means that when there's nothing else going on, your graphics hardware renders the bejeezus out of those screens, causing nasty overheating problems. The fix is easy, requiring players to add the following lines to your "Documents\StarCraft II Beta\variables.txt" "Documents\StarCraft II\variables.txt" file (nice catch, commenter LegolElf):

frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60

Good to know. Personally I would have appreciated a heads-up before my video card fried, but maybe this can save someone else from the hassle I've been dealing with since yesterday afternoon.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/28/blizz...
a c 273 U Graphics card
July 30, 2010 7:36:04 AM

Renseru said:
SC2 has a known GPU melting issue... :-(
Quote:
'Anyone else have StarCraft II try to melt their hardware? Blizzard admits that it's a known issue and has a fix for you.

Apparently, the game's menu screens aren't framerate-limited. This means that when there's nothing else going on, your graphics hardware renders the bejeezus out of those screens, causing nasty overheating problems. The fix is easy, requiring players to add the following lines to your "Documents\StarCraft II Beta\variables.txt" "Documents\StarCraft II\variables.txt" file (nice catch, commenter LegolElf):

frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60

Good to know. Personally I would have appreciated a heads-up before my video card fried, but maybe this can save someone else from the hassle I've been dealing with since yesterday afternoon.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/28/blizz...

I do hope you are not spamming the forum with this as I've seen it three times now. :non: 
!