Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

NPC selection and equipment

Tags:
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 8:20:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

Howdy--I'm on my second run at BG2 and I wanted to try it with a
different party this time--but I'm not sure who to take and what
equipment to give them. I was wondering what are your favorite NPC
combo's and what do you like to stock them with?

In my first run, I had:
my character (mage)
Jaheira (and pursued the romance)
Minsc
Korgan
Viconia
Imoen

This time, I'm thinking:
my character (kensai, dualling to mage)
Korgan (I really liked his character)
Viconia (I want to try the romance with her)

after those, I'm undecided, but I like:
Jan (seems like he might be fun--but a bit of an overlap with Imoen)
Imoen (I'm unsure about her--I want spaces for new characters, but it
doesn't seem right to omit her)
Mazzy (I'm not sure how to use her--does she tank well?)
Minsc (I like the dynamic with him and Korgan, but when you count BG1,
he's been in all my parties so far)
Haer'dalis (never had a bard in a party before)

it'll be a shame to drop Jaheira and not have a druid, but I just
finished a game with her as the focus of a romance, so I need someone
new

I don't know how I should outfit Mazzy and Jan if I take them--there
were so many good 2-H swords that it was easy to outfit Minsc last
time, but am I correct in thinking that halflings can't use them?

what do you all recommend?

Thanks,
Chuck

More about : npc selection equipment

Anonymous
April 21, 2004 2:47:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

benchcoat@yahoo.com (benchcoat) wrote in message news:<9801cba2.0404201520.3ad6a829@posting.google.com>...
> Howdy--I'm on my second run at BG2 and I wanted to try it with a
> different party this time--but I'm not sure who to take and what
> equipment to give them. I was wondering what are your favorite NPC
> combo's and what do you like to stock them with?
>
> In my first run, I had:
> my character (mage)
> Jaheira (and pursued the romance)
> Minsc
> Korgan
> Viconia
> Imoen
>

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

s

> This time, I'm thinking:
> my character (kensai, dualling to mage)
> Korgan (I really liked his character)

For Korgan: +3 Throwing Axe "Rifthome". Choose the dark side as soon
as possible, Luke, and you'll find it. Also in Nalia's Keep there is
the +3 Frost Reaver Axe. A _very_ nice weapon dealing elemental
damage to trolls, stoneskinned magi, etc.

> Viconia (I want to try the romance with her)

Any girdle of giant strength, and the best magic sling you can find,
and the shield of reflection. She looks HOT in Balduran's Plate. And
she's a cleric, so equip her with lots of potions, lotions, wands and
handcuffs ... err spells, yeah. (Ow! Cut it out, Jaheira!)

>
> after those, I'm undecided, but I like:
> Jan (seems like he might be fun--but a bit of an overlap with Imoen)

Jan needs a girdle of giant strength, the best crossbow he can carry,
and a good shortsword or staff. I like to give the Arbane sword to
any mage who can wield it, so hold person can't affect at least one of
my mages.

> Imoen (I'm unsure about her--I want spaces for new characters, but it
> doesn't seem right to omit her)

I always gave Imoen the best staff I could find, and the best
shortbow. Those +2 shortbows are great early on. With +2 arrows she
is at +7 to hit and +4 damage. Later, Tansheron and Geshen bows are
both real nice, its hard to choose sometimes.

Later, Staff of Magi, and a gem bag with all the thieving rings, and
she was my scout / thief.

> Mazzy (I'm not sure how to use her--does she tank well?)

Oh yeah.

> Minsc (I like the dynamic with him and Korgan, but when you count BG1,
> he's been in all my parties so far)
> Haer'dalis (never had a bard in a party before)

Do you like bad poetry?

>
> it'll be a shame to drop Jaheira and not have a druid, but I just
> finished a game with her as the focus of a romance, so I need someone
> new
>
> I don't know how I should outfit Mazzy and Jan if I take them--there
> were so many good 2-H swords that it was easy to outfit Minsc last
> time, but am I correct in thinking that halflings can't use them?

Rush to Umar and rescue Mazzy while she's Level 8. Give her two pips
each in 2-handed swords and 2-handed weapon style. Give her the
Geshen Bow and Gith Vorpal Sword.

And always give the helm of charm protection to the halfling wielding
the vorpal weapon, man.

>
> what do you all recommend?
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 3:31:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

benchcoat wrote:

> Imoen (I'm unsure about her--I want spaces for new characters, but it
> doesn't seem right to omit her)

You could take her just four Chapters Four and Five, and let her go when
you get her soul back.

> Mazzy (I'm not sure how to use her--does she tank well?)

She's a better archer.

> I don't know how I should outfit Mazzy and Jan if I take them--there
> were so many good 2-H swords that it was easy to outfit Minsc last
> time, but am I correct in thinking that halflings can't use them?

No, they can in BG/2ed, but she starts with no proficiencies in
two-handed swords.

>
> what do you all recommend?

Since you have Korgan and Viconia, I'd suggest Haer'Dalis and Jan, with
Imoen filling the last party slot and getting traded out in Chapter
Eight if you have ToB. Trying to fit any good character other than
Imoen into that party would be--out of place. This is a little
magic-heavy for my usual playing style, but it can work.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 3:33:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

Suddenly, Phaenar, drunk as a lemur, stumbled out of the darkness and
exclaimed:

> And always give the helm of charm protection to the halfling wielding
> the vorpal weapon, man.
>

That truly deserves to be someone's sig quote.

--
Billy Yank

"The squirrel has not yet found the acorn that will grow to the oak that
will be cut to form the cradle of the babe that will grow to slay me."
- Neil Gaiman "Stardust"

Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 4:53:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

Kish <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:<Uoihc.24740$kX7.3467@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>...
> benchcoat wrote:
>
> > Imoen (I'm unsure about her--I want spaces for new characters, but it
> > doesn't seem right to omit her)
>
> You could take her just four Chapters Four and Five, and let her go when
> you get her soul back.
>
> > Mazzy (I'm not sure how to use her--does she tank well?)
>
> She's a better archer.

I can see her working well as an archer. How effective are archers in
BG2? in my last game I had Viconia with a sling and Imoen
spellcasting and shooting arrows as "support fire" for my tanks
(Minsc, Korgan, and Jaheira). They never seemed to make a big impact,
but that might just be because they both spent a fair amount of time
spellcasting.

won't I be pretty short on front-line offense if I have Mazzy as an
archer? Viconia doesn't seem like a good front-liner, and even if I
dual my kensai at level 13, he'll be more of a secondary fighter (plus
there will be a long time when he's not a fighter at all). It seems
like Jan almost has to be a missile weapon guy (or maybe a
backstabber). How is Haer'dalis best used?

>
> > I don't know how I should outfit Mazzy and Jan if I take them--there
> > were so many good 2-H swords that it was easy to outfit Minsc last
> > time, but am I correct in thinking that halflings can't use them?
>
> No, they can in BG/2ed, but she starts with no proficiencies in
> two-handed swords.

seems odd, but also appealing (it seems like a funny visual)

>
> >
> > what do you all recommend?
>
> Since you have Korgan and Viconia, I'd suggest Haer'Dalis and Jan, with
> Imoen filling the last party slot and getting traded out in Chapter
> Eight if you have ToB. Trying to fit any good character other than
> Imoen into that party would be--out of place. This is a little
> magic-heavy for my usual playing style, but it can work.

I've generally played a straightforward group (BG1 and my one BG2
game) with around 3 tanks in front and spellcasters/archers in back
(with maybe a thief taking a stealth approach here and there). A
magic heavy group might be fun--I'll have to think about fights a bit
more. I do have TOB, and

spoiler













I like having Sarevok in the group, so I would probably dump somebody
after SoA.
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 2:21:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

"benchcoat" <benchcoat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:9801cba2.0404221153.4f6d59af@posting.google.com...
> Kish <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:<Uoihc.24740$kX7.3467@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>...
> > benchcoat wrote:
> >
> > > Imoen (I'm unsure about her--I want spaces for new characters, but it
> > > doesn't seem right to omit her)
> >
> > You could take her just four Chapters Four and Five, and let her go when
> > you get her soul back.
> >
> > > Mazzy (I'm not sure how to use her--does she tank well?)
> >
> > She's a better archer.
>
> I can see her working well as an archer. How effective are archers in
> BG2? in my last game I had Viconia with a sling and Imoen
> spellcasting and shooting arrows as "support fire" for my tanks
> (Minsc, Korgan, and Jaheira). They never seemed to make a big impact,
> but that might just be because they both spent a fair amount of time
> spellcasting.

When Mazzy has 5 pips in short bows, she has 4 attacks per
round with the Tuigan Bow and does +4 damage per shot
(from my bare head: 3 for Grand Mastery and 1 for the bow).
So with normal arrows (1d8) she does an average of 9
damage per shot or 36 per round, assuming she always
hits. Not bad for ranged damage.

Compare this to Minsc, using Lilarcor (1d10 + 3), two
attacks per round, doing +5 damage because of strength
and skill, which makes 27 damage per round on average,
if he hits both times.

Viconia is limitted to one attack per round, has a much
lower THAC0 and completely relies on the sling to do
extra damage (she doesn't have the +3 damage because
of Grand Mastery). So when she use a +3 sling, and if
she hits, she does an average of 1d4 + 3 = 5.5 damage
per round, using normal bullets. Better cast a spell.

Imoen can fire one set of Magic Missiles per round,
doing 5 x (1d4 + 1) = 17.5 damage on average.
(I know, there are more powerful spells, it's just
an example)

So I would so say Mazzy is fairly effective.

>
> won't I be pretty short on front-line offense if I have Mazzy as an
> archer?

With Minsc, Korgan and Jaheira you have plenty.

> Viconia doesn't seem like a good front-liner, and even if I
> dual my kensai at level 13, he'll be more of a secondary fighter (plus
> there will be a long time when he's not a fighter at all).

Personally I dual my kensai to mage when he reaches
level 9, to shorten the time when he's just a mage. Then
he becomes my main fighter, because he's better then
Minsc and Korgan together: He doens't take damage
because of Spirtit Armor, Stone Skins and Mirror Image,
he's strong because of a spell or a belt and he is dual
wielding katana's that gives him three attacks/round,
he can do maximum damage for 10 seconds because
of his Kai and he will do that when he's improved
hasted. He has +3 for Grand Mastery and + 3 for
being a level 9 kensai: 6 attacks per round, 10 seconds,
katana's + 1, 19 strength: 10 x (11 + 7 + 3 + 3) =
240 damage in 10 seconds. Available to you in chapter 2.
Secondary fighter...?

> It seems
> like Jan almost has to be a missile weapon guy (or maybe a
> backstabber). How is Haer'dalis best used?

Don't know, never had him.

>
> >
> > > I don't know how I should outfit Mazzy and Jan if I take them--there
> > > were so many good 2-H swords that it was easy to outfit Minsc last
> > > time, but am I correct in thinking that halflings can't use them?
> >
> > No, they can in BG/2ed, but she starts with no proficiencies in
> > two-handed swords.
>
> seems odd, but also appealing (it seems like a funny visual)

I see a two-handed sword, sticked in the ground,
with Mazzy clinging on to it, waving in the wind.

She already has one or two pips in short swords when
she joins you, why not keep her to short sword? If she
must fight melee, she can use her inate strength spell
for a boost.

Wim
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 2:22:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

"Wim Dekker" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:<4088d1d2$0$15375$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>...
> "benchcoat" <benchcoat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:9801cba2.0404221153.4f6d59af@posting.google.com...
> > Kish <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> news:<Uoihc.24740$kX7.3467@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>...
> > > benchcoat wrote:
> > >
> >
> > I can see her working well as an archer. How effective are archers in
> > BG2? in my last game I had Viconia with a sling and Imoen
> > spellcasting and shooting arrows as "support fire" for my tanks
> > (Minsc, Korgan, and Jaheira). They never seemed to make a big impact,
> > but that might just be because they both spent a fair amount of time
> > spellcasting.
>
> When Mazzy has 5 pips in short bows, she has 4 attacks per
> round with the Tuigan Bow and does +4 damage per shot
> (from my bare head: 3 for Grand Mastery and 1 for the bow).
> So with normal arrows (1d8) she does an average of 9
> damage per shot or 36 per round, assuming she always
> hits. Not bad for ranged damage.
>
> Compare this to Minsc, using Lilarcor (1d10 + 3), two
> attacks per round, doing +5 damage because of strength
> and skill, which makes 27 damage per round on average,
> if he hits both times.

some snips

> So I would so say Mazzy is fairly effective.

definitely looks like it to me!
>
> >
> > won't I be pretty short on front-line offense if I have Mazzy as an
> > archer?
>
> With Minsc, Korgan and Jaheira you have plenty.

that's the problem, though--I was going to leave Minsc and Jaheira
behind to make room for other NPC's

> Personally I dual my kensai to mage when he reaches
> level 9, to shorten the time when he's just a mage. Then
> he becomes my main fighter, because he's better then
> Minsc and Korgan together: He doens't take damage
> because of Spirtit Armor, Stone Skins and Mirror Image,
> he's strong because of a spell or a belt and he is dual
> wielding katana's that gives him three attacks/round,
> he can do maximum damage for 10 seconds because
> of his Kai and he will do that when he's improved
> hasted. He has +3 for Grand Mastery and + 3 for
> being a level 9 kensai: 6 attacks per round, 10 seconds,
> katana's + 1, 19 strength: 10 x (11 + 7 + 3 + 3) =
> 240 damage in 10 seconds. Available to you in chapter 2.
> Secondary fighter...?

this sounds like a good approach--with some good defensive spells,
kensai/mages look like great fighters--maybe even front line. Throw a
mislead in there and it seems like he should be able to huge damage
given/damage taken ratio.

do you think that Korgan and a buffed kensai/mage is enough for a
front line?

> I see a two-handed sword, sticked in the ground,
> with Mazzy clinging on to it, waving in the wind.
>
> She already has one or two pips in short swords when
> she joins you, why not keep her to short sword? If she
> must fight melee, she can use her inate strength spell
> for a boost.
>
> Wim

there are some nice short swords in the game--although many of them
seem geared towards theives. If I did go a front line route with her,
flail/short sword could be a nice combination--if Korgan's going
axe/hammer

Chuck
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 2:47:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

"benchcoat" <benchcoat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:9801cba2.0404221153.4f6d59af@posting.google.com...
> > No, they can in BG/2ed, but she (Mazzy) starts with no proficiencies in
> > two-handed swords.
>
> seems odd, but also appealing (it seems like a funny visual)
>
PC: Hey Mazzy, where are you going?
Mazzy: As soon as my sword knows, I'll let you know.
Anonymous
April 24, 2004 1:31:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

"benchcoat" <benchcoat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:9801cba2.0404230922.5cc4864e@posting.google.com...
> "Wim Dekker" <a@b.c> wrote in message
news:<4088d1d2$0$15375$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>...
> > "benchcoat" <benchcoat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:9801cba2.0404221153.4f6d59af@posting.google.com...
> > > Kish <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> > news:<Uoihc.24740$kX7.3467@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>...
> > > > benchcoat wrote:
> > > >
> > >
> > > I can see her working well as an archer. How effective are archers in
> > > BG2? in my last game I had Viconia with a sling and Imoen
> > > spellcasting and shooting arrows as "support fire" for my tanks
> > > (Minsc, Korgan, and Jaheira). They never seemed to make a big impact,
> > > but that might just be because they both spent a fair amount of time
> > > spellcasting.
> >
> > When Mazzy has 5 pips in short bows, she has 4 attacks per
> > round with the Tuigan Bow and does +4 damage per shot
> > (from my bare head: 3 for Grand Mastery and 1 for the bow).
> > So with normal arrows (1d8) she does an average of 9
> > damage per shot or 36 per round, assuming she always
> > hits. Not bad for ranged damage.
> >
> > Compare this to Minsc, using Lilarcor (1d10 + 3), two
> > attacks per round, doing +5 damage because of strength
> > and skill, which makes 27 damage per round on average,
> > if he hits both times.
>
> some snips
>
> > So I would so say Mazzy is fairly effective.
>
> definitely looks like it to me!
> >
> > >
> > > won't I be pretty short on front-line offense if I have Mazzy as an
> > > archer?
> >
> > With Minsc, Korgan and Jaheira you have plenty.
>
> that's the problem, though--I was going to leave Minsc and Jaheira
> behind to make room for other NPC's
>
> > Personally I dual my kensai to mage when he reaches
> > level 9, to shorten the time when he's just a mage. Then
> > he becomes my main fighter, because he's better then
> > Minsc and Korgan together: He doens't take damage
> > because of Spirtit Armor, Stone Skins and Mirror Image,
> > he's strong because of a spell or a belt and he is dual
> > wielding katana's that gives him three attacks/round,
> > he can do maximum damage for 10 seconds because
> > of his Kai and he will do that when he's improved
> > hasted. He has +3 for Grand Mastery and + 3 for
> > being a level 9 kensai: 6 attacks per round, 10 seconds,
> > katana's + 1, 19 strength: 10 x (11 + 7 + 3 + 3) =
> > 240 damage in 10 seconds. Available to you in chapter 2.
> > Secondary fighter...?
>
> this sounds like a good approach--with some good defensive spells,
> kensai/mages look like great fighters--maybe even front line. Throw a
> mislead in there and it seems like he should be able to huge damage
> given/damage taken ratio.
>
> do you think that Korgan and a buffed kensai/mage is enough for a
> front line?

I think it is. Remember though that you kensai-mage
will not progress as a fighter but as a mage. That means
that his THAC0 will not progress significantly and he
will get very few extra weapon profs. So you rely
on magic to make it an excelent fighter. Use sequencers
to buf with spell protections like Spell Shield, Spell
De/Reflection and potect yourself against Dispell
Magic with Spell Immunity to Abjuration. When
combined with Improved Invisibillity, Spirit Armor,
Blur, Mirror Image, Chaotic Commands (from a cleric),
Tenser's Transformation, et cetera, you are practically
invulnerable. Most batles don't require that much
buffing, only the major ones. Use Korgan to stand
for a round or two, while your kensai uses his
sequencers, then kick ass.

> there are some nice short swords in the game--although many of them
> seem geared towards theives. If I did go a front line route with her,
> flail/short sword could be a nice combination--if Korgan's going
> axe/hammer
>
> Chuck

I think specialization pays off more than generalization.
Remember it takes 3 stars to have decent dual-wielding,
another 5 stars for the flail, plus 3 ones for the short sword.
That means that Mazzy needs to level up 33 time to
be there. So unless you want the flail to be her main
weapon, leave it and concentrate of the sword shorts.
Then take two weapons style and finally learn to use
a new weapon. Two-weapon style only gives you
one extra attack per round. It is especially interesting
when the off-hand weapon adds some features, like
immunity to Hold. Also remember that when you
equip Mazzy with an off-hand weapon, she is no
longer able to use a two-handed weapon like the bow.
It gets tedious to go to the inventory screen every
time you want to change melee/ranged fighting style.
!