Acceptable if New LCD Monitor has a Dead Pixel ?

Elucidesign

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2003
My (formerly) new SGI 1600 also had a dead pixel, and except for the few times I tried to erase it, boy was that hard ;) , while working in Photoshop I don't really notice it at all now. I've been using it for about 3 years now and won't part with it, flawed or not! I believe that manufacturers and resellers have widely varying policies for 'pixel death,' but from all the dead pixels I've seen in my life (Cameras, Panels, etc.) I would imagine: Only under warranty, and only if you have >/= the allowable number dead, which, for your sake I hope is one.

You should contact the seller/manufacturer or look for their policy online.

If anyone else can comment on industry standard policies or what a good dead pixel policy should look like, I'd like to look at it. hehe.

"It is alright to decorate construction, but never construct decoration." -Pugin

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Wow, u musta gone real hard w/ the eraser tool on photoshop!:) Eh, not as bad as when I spent 30 mins editing a pic cause it was darker on the top, only to realize it was b/c the viewing angle.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

BobA

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
No, it is not. But you might not be able to do anything about it. You should try everything in your power to get it replaced, whether the dead pixel bugs you or not. Manufacturers have no business releasing panels with defective pixels. Do you know the phrase 'the squeaky wheel gets the grease' ?

-Bob

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Dude, do u have ANY idea what it takes to produce an lcd? There are bound to be defects, so yes, a few dead pixels are normal, and in a field of 1310720 pixels, one will not make that big of a difference!

- Mario Andretti

BobA

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
Well, I would never settle for a dead pixel LCD, and I don't care how many panels the manufacture has to scrap. It's all very fine and well to say it is no big deal if someone else purchases a LCD with a few defective pixels, but I think you might change your mind if you purchased a defective one. Do you think Tom Pabst would keep a LCD with a dead pixel? The industry has to be made to produce a quality product, or just get out of the business.

-Bob

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
FYI, I used to own a TFT7020 till I returned it b/c crap response time. It had 2 dead pixels and 3 dead subpixels on it. It was fine- I would have kept it. I'm sorry, but from what you say, it seems you have not taken a very good look at an actual lcd. Have you? I think you will find it's not very noticeable, and u have to go hunting for it to find it.....

- Mario Andretti