can I sell my phone number?

Last response: in Network Providers
April 13, 2005 9:03:18 PM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Cellular phone number portability makes me, in a sense, the effective owner
of my phone number. By accident, it just so happened that my number spells
something that could be considered very desirable by a whole lot of
companies (I won't say what it spells for reasons of privacy). If I had to
guess, I'd say there are companies that would pay thousands for it.

Is it possible for me to actually sell my phone number, and if so, how can I
go about doing it?

More about : sell phone number

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 9:03:19 PM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Your cellular phone number does *NOT* belong to you any more than your
landline phone number belongs to you. Just because the number can now be
used with most cellular providers does not make it yours.

Bobby

"homer simpson" <homer@simps.on> wrote in message
> Cellular phone number portability makes me, in a sense, the effective
> owner
> of my phone number. By accident, it just so happened that my number spells
> something that could be considered very desirable by a whole lot of
> companies (I won't say what it spells for reasons of privacy). If I had to
> guess, I'd say there are companies that would pay thousands for it.
>
> Is it possible for me to actually sell my phone number, and if so, how can
> go about doing it?

April 13, 2005 11:46:26 PM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Who does it belong to? My service provider? What if I port it to another
service provider? If the number is the property of the original service
provider, how come I can easily deprive them of their property without
their concent?

Isn't the situation similar to Internet domain names? They definitely get
bought and sold.

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote:

> Your cellular phone number does *NOT* belong to you any more than your
> landline phone number belongs to you. Just because the number can now be
> used with most cellular providers does not make it yours.
>
> Bobby
>
> "homer simpson" <homer@simps.on> wrote in message
>> Cellular phone number portability makes me, in a sense, the effective
>> owner
>> of my phone number. By accident, it just so happened that my number
>> spells something that could be considered very desirable by a whole lot
>> of companies (I won't say what it spells for reasons of privacy). If I
>> had to guess, I'd say there are companies that would pay thousands for
>> it.
>>
>> Is it possible for me to actually sell my phone number, and if so, how
>> can I
>> go about doing it?
Related resources
April 14, 2005 12:44:52 AM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:46:26 -0700, homer simpson <homer@simps.on>
wrote:

>Who does it belong to? My service provider? What if I port it to another
>service provider? If the number is the property of the original service
>provider, how come I can easily deprive them of their property without
>their concent?
>
>Isn't the situation similar to Internet domain names? They definitely get
>bought and sold.

Prefix is assigned to a specific entity whether that's cingular,
Qwest, Verizon, Southwestern Bell or Somerset Telephone Company. If
someone ports their number out of that carrier the number goes back to
the original assignee if the number is disconnected.

April 14, 2005 12:59:01 AM

homer simpson wrote:

> Who does it belong to?
>
> <snip>

The FCC?

Notan
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:59:02 AM

Notan wrote:

> homer simpson wrote:
>>
>> Who does it belong to?
>>
>> <snip>
>
> The FCC?

I don't have the answers, that's why I'm asking questions. But if it belongs
to the FCC, I can probably just sign a contract with someone saying that
other party will use my number from now on (Effectively selling it).
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:27:24 AM

homer simpson wrote:
> Notan wrote:
>
>> homer simpson wrote:
>>>
>>> Who does it belong to?
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>
>> The FCC?
>
> I don't have the answers, that's why I'm asking
> questions. But if it belongs to the FCC, I can probably
> just sign a contract with someone saying that other party
> will use my number from now on (Effectively selling it).

Interesting idea but I don't think it will work.
Go to www.nanpa.com to see the guys who handle
the numbers.

I don't think you could sell it because it's been assigned
to the providers. Even if it can be passed from one provider
to another. If you simply terminate your service you lose
your number. You have to port the number when you terminate
service with a provider. You have to have another provider to
port it to. No plan, no number. So I think you would need to
collaborate with a provider to transfer your number to a
particular person or entity. I guess you could get the plan
or service and then maybe transfer financial liability to a
company much like VZW lets you do but I'm not sure how
valuable that would be to a company. For real money I
would think a company would want to legally own the number
and I don't think that's going to happen.

Brings up another good question. Seems that you can keep
your number as long as you maintain service but is this just
the way it's done or is your number actually part of your
service contract?

-Quick
April 14, 2005 2:58:06 AM

homer simpson wrote:
> Cellular phone number portability makes me, in a sense, the effective owner
> of my phone number. By accident, it just so happened that my number spells
> something that could be considered very desirable by a whole lot of
> companies (I won't say what it spells for reasons of privacy). If I had to
> guess, I'd say there are companies that would pay thousands for it.
>
> Is it possible for me to actually sell my phone number, and if so, how can I
> go about doing it?

Technically, a service provider "owns" the number, but you have a
contract that provides you exclusive use of it for whatever legal reason
you prefer. Yes, you can choose to port the number to another service
provider, and so long as the contract is maintained, you're use of it
remains. However, if you choose to discontinue your use of it, or you
default on your contract, you lose your exclusive use of it. Once that
happens, the number reverts back to the original owner, and if ported,
becomes unported, pooled and available for reassignment under a new
contract for someone else.

I am unaware of any way a provider has to facilitate a directed transfer
of usership between parties. Numbers are randomly assigned from a pool
of availabilities specifically to make a directed transfer next to
impossible. Sometimes, a provider will allow a new customer to choose
one of several randomly picked numbers from the pool, but in your case,
your use of it would have to have already been terminated at some prior
time.

I can tell you what will happen if you attempt to engage your provider
to assist you in a directed transfer of your number - they'll refuse
because their service policy says they don't even want to get that
started. If they did it for one, they'd be buried in a week.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Let's see if I can make it simple for you...You are paying for a service.
Currently, that service is associated with a number...your number. Should
you decide to cancel the service and not port the number, it goes back into
the pool, and will eventually given to someone else. You do *NOT* own the
service. you do *NOT* own the number. You are paying for the privilege of
using the service. You are paying to use a certain number while you are
paying for that service. Surely this is simple enough for even you to
understand.

> Who does it belong to? My service provider? What if I port it to another
> service provider? If the number is the property of the original service
> provider, how come I can easily deprive them of their property without
> their concent?
>
> Isn't the situation similar to Internet domain names? They definitely get
> bought and sold.
>
> "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote:
>
>> Your cellular phone number does *NOT* belong to you any more than your
>> landline phone number belongs to you. Just because the number can now be
>> used with most cellular providers does not make it yours.
>>
>> Bobby
>>
>> "homer simpson" <homer@simps.on> wrote in message
>>> Cellular phone number portability makes me, in a sense, the effective
>>> owner
>>> of my phone number. By accident, it just so happened that my number
>>> spells something that could be considered very desirable by a whole lot
>>> of companies (I won't say what it spells for reasons of privacy). If I
>>> had to guess, I'd say there are companies that would pay thousands for
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Is it possible for me to actually sell my phone number, and if so, how
>>> can I
>>> go about doing it?

April 14, 2005 3:56:20 AM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote:

> Surely this is simple enough for even you to
> understand.

Get a life, creep. Insulting strangers on USENET under the pretense of
answering questions, while hiding behind your monitor, does not count as
one. PLONK
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:56:21 AM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

What is a "PLONK"? Is it a new swear word?

Thanks,

Bubba

> "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote:
>
>> Surely this is simple enough for even you to
>> understand.
>
> Get a life, creep. Insulting strangers on USENET under the pretense of
> answering questions, while hiding behind your monitor, does not count as
> one. PLONK
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 4:32:33 AM

In article <1157546.CKdT0RIOnR@yahoo.com>,
homer simpson <homer@simps.on> wrote:

> Cellular phone number portability makes me, in a sense, the effective owner
> of my phone number. By accident, it just so happened that my number spells
> something that could be considered very desirable by a whole lot of
> companies (I won't say what it spells for reasons of privacy). If I had to
> guess, I'd say there are companies that would pay thousands for it.
>
> Is it possible for me to actually sell my phone number, and if so, how can I
> go about doing it?

Try eBay.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 6:48:42 AM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> Is it possible for me to actually sell my phone number, and if so, how can
> go about doing it?

Just lease it to someone...for a monthly fee have the calls forwarded to
whoever wants to pay you for using the number. As long as they pay you'll
keep forwarding it.

Good luck
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 7:13:45 AM

homer simpson wrote:

> Cellular phone number portability makes me, in a sense, the effective owner
> of my phone number. By accident, it just so happened that my number spells
> something that could be considered very desirable by a whole lot of
> companies (I won't say what it spells for reasons of privacy). If I had to
> guess, I'd say there are companies that would pay thousands for it.
>
> Is it possible for me to actually sell my phone number, and if so, how can I
> go about doing it?

Suggest you post this question in comp.dcom.telecom DO NOT cross post.
The group is moderated and they seem to be pretty knowledgeable.

BTW IMHO you can sell it because you are not really selling the number you are
"selling" the right of some other party to use the number. What you want to do
is nothing more than a name change for which you want to be paid. Again, ask
over at comp.dcom.telecom.

LB
April 14, 2005 9:09:44 AM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Ive been thinking about "selling" a 212 area code (after reading the
New York Times article about how sought after those numbers are). It
seems to me that all you would have to do is use a cellular account as
a temporary pass-through conduit: (1) Move your landline to a cellular
account, (2) transfer ownership/financial responsibility of the
cellular account to the purchaser, and (3) the purchaser can either (a)
keep using that cellular account, or (b) trasnfer the number from that
account (which they now own) to any other account, land line or
otherwise, that they own. The sellular account that you use can either
be one that is about to expire, to reduce the cost, or a new one that
is specified by the buyer: e.g. put the number on a new Nextell
account...

Its not a simple sale, but I don't think its impossible.

While the comp.dcom.telcom group may be a good place to talk about
this, I suspect the answer lies more in creative contract law than in
previously established telcom technology, policies and practices.

An interesting first step to exploring this further might be to solicit
feed back from people who have transferred cellular accounts about the
status of the transferred account. (Such transfers are actively
encouraged by Verizon and others if you call to ask about getting out
of your contract before it has expired: is there anyone that you know
who would be willing to take over this account...)

Phone Home.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 9:51:02 AM

homer simpson wrote:

> Is it possible for me to actually sell my phone number, and if so, how can
> I go about doing it?

You don't own it. If you're willing to allow someone else to take over
landline service at the same location, you can avoid new installation
charges. But the phone company will require the person taking over the
service to verify in writing that they'll be responsible for any left over
charges, along with any new ones they incur. What you're suggesting is not
a transfer of service at a defined landline location, but a change of
assignee for the phone number, not the service, for your own profit. I
don't see how you could get away with that one. ;-)

Bill K
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 11:02:43 AM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:56:19 -1000, "NoNoBadDog!"
<mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote:

>Let's see if I can make it simple for you...You are paying for a service.
>Currently, that service is associated with a number...your number. Should
>you decide to cancel the service and not port the number, it goes back into
>the pool, and will eventually given to someone else. You do *NOT* own the
>service. you do *NOT* own the number. You are paying for the privilege of
>using the service. You are paying to use a certain number while you are
>paying for that service. Surely this is simple enough for even you to
>understand.

How trollific of you.

Let me guess without even looking -- Outlook Express user?

>>From: "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com>
>>Newsgroups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon
>>Subject: Re: can I sell my phone number?
>>Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:56:19 -1000

Yep.

Idiot.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:35:55 PM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:27:12 -0700, "Bubba DeBub"
<BubbaDeBub@rRideUmCowboy.com> wrote:

>What is a "PLONK"? Is it a new swear word?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bubba
>
>"homer simpson" <homer@simps.on> wrote in message
>> "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Surely this is simple enough for even you to
>>> understand.
>>
>> Get a life, creep. Insulting strangers on USENET under the pretense of
>> answering questions, while hiding behind your monitor, does not count as
>> one. PLONK

Plonk means that he added the sender to his kill file. If he replied
to your post you would have been plonked 5 times. One for each of the
groups you posted to.
April 14, 2005 12:49:47 PM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Send me your number in email and I'll send you back a check for $1000.

-Frank

"homer simpson" <homer@simps.on> wrote in message
> Cellular phone number portability makes me, in a sense, the effective
> owner
> of my phone number. By accident, it just so happened that my number spells
> something that could be considered very desirable by a whole lot of
> companies (I won't say what it spells for reasons of privacy). If I had to
> guess, I'd say there are companies that would pay thousands for it.
>
> Is it possible for me to actually sell my phone number, and if so, how can
> go about doing it?
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:08:00 PM

homer simpson wrote:
> Cellular phone number portability makes me, in a sense, the effective owner
> of my phone number.

Uhm, actually, it doesn't. You'll find that in many user agreements,
you don't retain any "ownership" to the number assigned to you. Even at
its most permissive interpretation, "ownership" of that phone number
doesn't transfer to you when porting a number; it just transfers to your
new telecom carrier, and ownership reverts back to the originating
company if you ever drop that line for any reason without porting again
somewhere else.

> By accident, it just so happened that my number spells
> something that could be considered very desirable by a whole lot of
> companies (I won't say what it spells for reasons of privacy). If I had to
> guess, I'd say there are companies that would pay thousands for it.
>
> Is it possible for me to actually sell my phone number, and if so, how can I
> go about doing it?

You might be able to entice a business to pay you to release that number
so that they can have a crack at it. Even then, there's no guarantee
that the number will end up in the useable pool again for quite some time.

Another option is to have a business pay you to transfer the liability
of your account to them (I know Sprint has a transfer of liability form
for this purpose). But, you would effectively be "selling" them your
whole account, not just your number. Assuming the carrier actually
allows this, you would have to start fresh with a new account as well as
a new number.

Then there other complications. If it's Sprint PCS number, the
business might want to port it to a landline (unless they want to run
their whole business off one cell phone). Unfortunately, porting regs
are more restrictive when it comes to porting a cell number to a
landline than it is to go the other way around. The cell number must be
served out of the same local calling area (sometimes even the same
building) as an existing number, or else the port won't go through.

And of course, the carrier might not allow the transfer of a personal
account to a business entity, and would certainly put the kibosh on the
deal if they knew you were getting paid for it.

Lastly, if ANYTHING happens to that number... say, an area code split
occurs, or an exchange has to be reassigned, requiring the business to
change its phone number through no fault or action of its own... you can
bet the company will probably attempt to sue you for misrepresenting
your ownership of that phone number. Phone number assignments are
ultimately at the discretion of the phone company serving the number,
and they can generally change your number, whether you want the change
or not, anytime they please. They just don't normally do this unless
its necesary for some technical reason, because that would anger a lot
of people and would be a headache for them to adminster those changes
anyway. However, in claiming ownership of that number and "selling"
that ownership to the company, you're making a (false) representation
that you - and by extension, the business you "sell" it to - have the
right to keep that number indefinitely.... when in truth, neither of you
really do have that right.

Porting is a convenience service offered by the phone companies, but it
does not guarantee that a number will stay with you forever. If a
public utilities commission decides that your area code needs to change,
or if NANPA decides that exchanges need to be juggled around, then those
changes will occur whether your number is ported or not.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
April 14, 2005 3:21:31 PM

homer simpson wrote:
> Who does it belong to? My service provider?

In the strictest sense, the number doesn't even belong to te service
provider. It is essentially public property, and assignment is
administered by the North American Numbering Plan Administration
(http://www.nanpa.com). They assign blocks of numbers to carriers on
request, issue new area codes, and make decisions on the allocation of
North America's (dwindling) pool of phone numbers.

From NANPA.com:

"NANPA holds overall responsibility for the neutral administration of
NANP numbering resources, subject to directives from regulatory
authorities in the countries that share the NANP. NANPA's
responsibilities include assignment of NANP resources, and, in the U.S.
and its territories, coordination of area code relief planning and
collection of utilization and forecast data."

> What if I port it to another
> service provider? If the number is the property of the original service
> provider, how come I can easily deprive them of their property without
> their concent?

Because the FCC and NANPA has told them they MUST release that number,
IF it meets certain requirements.

> Isn't the situation similar to Internet domain names? They definitely get
> bought and sold.

This is an apples to oranges comparison. Domain names get bought and
sold because they are a bit more complex. Many of them have content
related to trademarked names and phrases.... at the moment, you can't
really trademark a number and have it stick.

And most importantly, domain names only mask the underlying IP address,
which is more equivalent to a phone number. Those most certainly can't
be bought and sold so easily.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
April 14, 2005 3:24:58 PM

homer simpson wrote:
> "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote:
>

>>Surely this is simple enough for even you to
>>understand.
>

> Get a life, creep. Insulting strangers on USENET under the pretense of
> answering questions, while hiding behind your monitor, does not count as
> one. PLONK

Just because he's providing you with an answer that disagrees with what
you want to hear does NOT mean that he's insulting you.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
April 14, 2005 3:24:59 PM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> Just because he's providing you with an answer that disagrees with what
> you want to hear does NOT mean that he's insulting you.

And what do you think THIS quote from his message was meant to convey?

"Surely this is simple enough for even you to understand."

-Frank
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:25:57 PM

Anoymous wrote:

> How trollific of you.

Funny that, an anonymous troll calling someone else a troll. :)

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
April 14, 2005 4:39:22 PM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Bubba,

Some news reader programs will allow you to exclude certain people from
being listed by the newsreader. Another words you never see things posted by
that person. This is called plonking. Outlook Express allows you to do this.
Look under "message" and click on "create rule".

Dave M.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 6:49:50 PM

Frankster wrote:
>>Just because he's providing you with an answer that disagrees with what
>>you want to hear does NOT mean that he's insulting you.
>

> And what do you think THIS quote from his message was meant to convey?

That quote wasn't his whole message. Read the original again:

http://tinyurl.com/3utlc

Context is everything. It's a shame that some of us on here are so
easily swayed when someone spins the context to suit them.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
April 14, 2005 8:49:11 PM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Ha, that's funny. I think there was a big stink not to long ago about this
topic. Someone had 867-5312 from the song and tried to sell it on ebay. I
think it was taken down because they did not have authority to sell the
number.

> In article <1157546.CKdT0RIOnR@yahoo.com>,
> homer simpson <homer@simps.on> wrote:
>
> > Cellular phone number portability makes me, in a sense, the effective
owner
> > of my phone number. By accident, it just so happened that my number
spells
> > something that could be considered very desirable by a whole lot of
> > companies (I won't say what it spells for reasons of privacy). If I had
> > guess, I'd say there are companies that would pay thousands for it.
> >
> > Is it possible for me to actually sell my phone number, and if so, how
can I
> > go about doing it?
>

> Try eBay.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 8:49:12 PM

Chris wrote:

> Don't you mean 8675309 ???

I was thinking the same thing, but couldn't remember the number.

Thanks!

Notan
April 14, 2005 9:28:28 PM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"homer simpson" <homer@simps.on> wrote in message
> Cellular phone number portability makes me, in a sense, the effective
> owner
> of my phone number. By accident, it just so happened that my number spells
> something that could be considered very desirable by a whole lot of
> companies (I won't say what it spells for reasons of privacy). If I had to
> guess, I'd say there are companies that would pay thousands for it.
>
> Is it possible for me to actually sell my phone number, and if so, how can
> go about doing it?

I am involved in the buying and selling of businesses. It is common for the
transaction to include transfer of telephone numbers (and Yellow Pages ads,
premises leases, equipment leases, employee contracts, and other rights
pertaining to assets that the seller doesn't actually own). The buyer
doesn't own the number just as the seller doesn't. But the seller transfers
to the buyer whatever rights to use the number that seller has. As part
performance of the contract, the seller cooperates with the buyer in getting
the account transferred. The telephone companies are very cooperative about
this. Happens every day. Some assets of this sort are sold subject to the
rights of others to approve the transfer. But in my experience, the company
having the right to approve or disapprove will almost always cooperate.

There should be no problem with transferring a personal account to a
business. (Transferring the other way around could be a problem, but that's
another discussion). In most cases the telephone company doesn't know what
use the customer will make of the phone number. People sign up for cell
phone accounts to use personally, or to use in their business, without the
telephone company knowing or caring. When someone buys a business,
including the phone numbers, everyone should understand that the number
might be lost in the future, just as the seller could have lost it.

There are limits to the value of the product you are selling. Since your
number is not an 800 number, the buyer company will have to advertise the
number with the area code included. Callers from outside the local calling
area will be paying higher rates and therefore won't call. So the company
doesn't get a nationwide benefit from buying your rights in the number.
Still, if you can find a buyer, go for it.

McGyver
(misc.legal)
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:13:41 AM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:03:18 -0700, homer simpson <homer@simps.on>
wrote:

>Cellular phone number portability makes me, in a sense, the effective owner
>of my phone number. By accident, it just so happened that my number spells
>something that could be considered very desirable by a whole lot of
>companies (I won't say what it spells for reasons of privacy). If I had to
>guess, I'd say there are companies that would pay thousands for it.
>
>Is it possible for me to actually sell my phone number, and if so, how can I
>go about doing it?

Ok,since by now you know you can't sell the number, and every number
is unique and can not be duplicated, plus you are the one with the
number; how about you tell us what it spells?

SloPe
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:13:42 AM

Slope wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:03:18 -0700, homer simpson
> <homer@simps.on> wrote:
>
>> Cellular phone number portability makes me, in a sense,
>> the effective owner of my phone number. By accident, it
>> just so happened that my number spells something that
>> could be considered very desirable by a whole lot of
>> companies (I won't say what it spells for reasons of
>> privacy). If I had to guess, I'd say there are companies
>> that would pay thousands for it.
>>
>> Is it possible for me to actually sell my phone number,
>> and if so, how can I go about doing it?
>
> Ok,since by now you know you can't sell the number, and
> every number is unique and can not be duplicated, plus
> you are the one with the number; how about you tell us
> what it spells?

uhhh... because he is worried about his privacy
not his number's privacy?

-Quick
April 15, 2005 12:13:23 PM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:27:12 -0700, "Bubba DeBub"
<BubbaDeBub@rRideUmCowboy.com> wrote:

>What is a "PLONK"? Is it a new swear word?

*plonk!* Is the sound made when someone's email address falls into
someone's kill file.

April 15, 2005 6:03:27 PM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

yeah. sorry. my bad. 3 things start going when you get old but i can't
remember what they are.

> Chris wrote:
> >
> > Don't you mean 8675309 ???
>
> I was thinking the same thing, but couldn't remember the number.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Notan
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:10:43 PM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:52:15 -0700, "Quick"
<quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>Slope wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:03:18 -0700, homer simpson
>> <homer@simps.on> wrote:
>>
>>> Cellular phone number portability makes me, in a sense,
>>> the effective owner of my phone number. By accident, it
>>> just so happened that my number spells something that
>>> could be considered very desirable by a whole lot of
>>> companies (I won't say what it spells for reasons of
>>> privacy). If I had to guess, I'd say there are companies
>>> that would pay thousands for it.
>>>
>>> Is it possible for me to actually sell my phone number,
>>> and if so, how can I go about doing it?
>>
>> Ok,since by now you know you can't sell the number, and
>> every number is unique and can not be duplicated, plus
>> you are the one with the number; how about you tell us
>> what it spells?
>
>uhhh... because he is worried about his privacy
>not his number's privacy?
>
>-Quick

Yeah, well...I guess that is a good enough reason not to say. I'm
still curious though.

SloPe
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:10:44 PM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Arrrrrgh!! This thread will still be going at Christmas. :-(

"Slope" <slope7shit@excite.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:52:15 -0700, "Quick"
> <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Slope wrote:

>>> Ok,since by now you know you can't sell the number, and
>>> every number is unique and can not be duplicated, plus
>>> you are the one with the number; how about you tell us
>>> what it spells?
>>
>>uhhh... because he is worried about his privacy
>>not his number's privacy?
>>
>>-Quick
>>
> Yeah, well...I guess that is a good enough reason not to say. I'm
> still curious though.
>
> SloPe
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 11:43:32 PM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"homer simpson" <homer@simps.on> wrote in message
> Who does it belong to? My service provider? What if I port it to another
> service provider? If the number is the property of the original service
> provider, how come I can easily deprive them of their property without
> their concent?

It is their concern. You can change it because the GOVERNMENT meddeled in
private business. The original owner had to pay for that number. They are
purchased in blocks. As with land lines, the agreement that you have with
the carrier states clearly that the number does NOT belong to you! Read the
first few pages of your phone directory sometime. Among other things it (and
your cellular agreement) clearly states that the number doesn't belong to
you. And it also states that the number can be changed at the will of the
carrier.

> Isn't the situation similar to Internet domain names? They definitely get
> bought and sold.

Not at all! A domain name is "dreamed up" by the person/company/people who
then subscribe to it. Once the subsctiprion is paid for and all renewalls
are done in a timely manner it is that persons.

Buying and selling of domain names has a proceedure set up for just that.
The old technical person and old "owner" can assign a new owner and
technical person. Thus if you had a domain name that I wanted, we could
negotiate a price and complete the transaction by changing the two above
things.

>> Your cellular phone number does *NOT* belong to you any more than your
>> landline phone number belongs to you. Just because the number can now be
>> used with most cellular providers does not make it yours.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 11:46:02 PM

> Notan wrote:
>
>> homer simpson wrote:
>>>
>>> Who does it belong to?
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>
>> The FCC?
>
> I don't have the answers, that's why I'm asking questions. But if it
> belongs
> to the FCC, I can probably just sign a contract with someone saying that
> other party will use my number from now on (Effectively selling it).

Actually, as I think about it there is a form that the carriers all have
that allows for changing of "Financial Responsibility". I have moved my
number from my personal account to a company account and back again several
times over the years!

I suppose that you could call this selling. Find out who wants the number,
have them agree to the change of financial responsibility (after collecting
your price) and it is then theirs to use or port or whatever they then want
to do with it.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 11:48:14 PM

> Brings up another good question. Seems that you can keep
> your number as long as you maintain service but is this just
> the way it's done or is your number actually part of your
> service contract?

I think that if you read your service contract it says that the number
belongs to the carrier and that they can change it at their will.

I haven't read a contract since the number portability has taken place but
mine (dated 1986) definatly states that they own the number and can change
it at any time.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 12:01:26 AM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

>> Brings up another good question. Seems that you can keep
>> your number as long as you maintain service but is this just
>> the way it's done or is your number actually part of your
>> service contract?
>
>I think that if you read your service contract it says that the number
>belongs to the carrier and that they can change it at their will.

If they DON'T have that in there, think about what happens during
area code splits.

>I haven't read a contract since the number portability has taken place but
>mine (dated 1986) definatly states that they own the number and can change
>it at any time.

And the number HAS been changed lots of times for a lot of people.
Area code splits are the best example I can think of affecting a
lot of people, but I think on occasion there have been "prefix
splits" in small areas where they needed to divide lines to an
overloaded switch to have some of them go to a different one (and
some of the older switches have to do the whole prefix or none of
it).

Some areas also have number changes over which you have some control.
"If you want to order touch-tone, you'll have to change your number."
(certain prefixes in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, although it's
probably not limited to there). Want to keep your number? Don't
order anything new.

Gordon L. Burditt
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 3:04:36 AM

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:13:23 -0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:27:12 -0700, "Bubba DeBub"
><BubbaDeBub@rRideUmCowboy.com> wrote:
>
>>What is a "PLONK"? Is it a new swear word?
>
>*plonk!* Is the sound made when someone's email address falls into
>someone's kill file.
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I've got my sound scheme set up so when I KF somebody it sounds like a
toilet flushing - that's where a killfiled post can go, as far as I
care.
April 16, 2005 8:59:34 AM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:09:09 -0700, "Bubba DeBub"
<BubbaDeBub@rRideUmCowboy.com> wrote:

>Arrrrrgh!! This thread will still be going at Christmas. :-(

And there's no reason for you to continue to read it if you don't want
to either! There's also no reason why you can't snip the irrelevant
bits. But that would take work on your part.

April 16, 2005 10:16:14 AM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

sure you can. go to the phone co. and get an assignment of number form.
it is done all of the time with bulk sale transfers..(business sales)
the hawk
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 11:41:57 PM

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Besides being insulting you're also wrong. But apparently not understanding
things is also your speciality.

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
> Let's see if I can make it simple for you...You are paying for a service.
> Currently, that service is associated with a number...your number. Should
> you decide to cancel the service and not port the number, it goes back
into
> the pool, and will eventually given to someone else. You do *NOT* own the
> service. you do *NOT* own the number. You are paying for the privilege
of
> using the service. You are paying to use a certain number while you are
> paying for that service. Surely this is simple enough for even you to
> understand.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 2:48:42 PM

In article <3818099.A1VIuvmXNr@yahoo.com>, homer@simps.on says...
> Notan wrote:
>
> > homer simpson wrote:
> >>
> >> Who does it belong to?
> >>
> >> <snip>
> >
> > The FCC?
>
> I don't have the answers, that's why I'm asking questions. But if it belongs
> to the FCC, I can probably just sign a contract with someone saying that
> other party will use my number from now on (Effectively selling it).

I'm FAR from a lawyer. But I know that Sprint will simply allow a
"transfer of liability" from one person to another. If the other person
pays you to carry that out, I'm unaware of any rule that would disallow
it.

--
RØß
O/Siris

E wrote:

> Ha, that's funny. I think there was a big stink not to long ago about this
> topic. Someone had 867-5312 from the song and tried to sell it on ebay. I
> think it was taken down because they did not have authority to sell the
> number.
>
> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> In article <1157546.CKdT0RIOnR@yahoo.com>,
>> homer simpson <homer@simps.on> wrote:
>>
>> > Cellular phone number portability makes me, in a sense, the effective
> owner
>> > of my phone number. By accident, it just so happened that my number
> spells
>> > something that could be considered very desirable by a whole lot of
>> > companies (I won't say what it spells for reasons of privacy). If I had
>> > guess, I'd say there are companies that would pay thousands for it.
>> >
>> > Is it possible for me to actually sell my phone number, and if so, how
> can I
>> > go about doing it?
>>

>> Try eBay.
But the song is 867-5309 so he is selling a nebulous number. You must be
singing it wrong.
--
Dave
Anonymous

Archived from groups: misc.legal,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Hi,

but as long as he's a current subscriber it's "his"....

kinda sorta....

so I can see a scenario where he might decide to drop that
subscription for some compensation so that the "other" party could get
it....

NoNoBadDog! wrote:

> Let's see if I can make it simple for you...You are paying for a service.
> Currently, that service is associated with a number...your number. Should
> you decide to cancel the service and not port the number, it goes back into
> the pool, and will eventually given to someone else. You do *NOT* own the
> service. you do *NOT* own the number. You are paying for the privilege of
> using the service. You are paying to use a certain number while you are
> paying for that service. Surely this is simple enough for even you to
> understand.
>
> Bobby
>
> "homer simpson" <homer@simps.on> wrote in message
>
>>Who does it belong to? My service provider? What if I port it to another
>>service provider? If the number is the property of the original service
>>provider, how come I can easily deprive them of their property without
>>their concent?
>>
>>Isn't the situation similar to Internet domain names? They definitely get
>>bought and sold.
>>
>>"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Your cellular phone number does *NOT* belong to you any more than your
>>>landline phone number belongs to you. Just because the number can now be
>>>used with most cellular providers does not make it yours.
>>>
>>>Bobby
>>>
>>>"homer simpson" <homer@simps.on> wrote in message

Leinad .22/.45/.410 Over & Under Derringer Parts Set
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7155...

Leinad .45/.410 Pepperbox Derringer Kit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7155...
!