Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sony Vaio VGN-SZ750N cant find external monitor in Win 7

Last response: in Windows 7
December 27, 2009 4:24:33 PM

I did a clean install of 64 bit Win 7 Ultimate over 32 bit Vista Business on a Vaio VGN-SZ750N. It only finds the screen on the laptop. Neither Geek Squad nor Online Sony customer help can fix this. Can someone help me? Thanks.
December 27, 2009 5:02:55 PM

u need to install all the drivers from Sony's website ONLY ... i had lots of problems in my hp laptop after i installed latest forceware on my own from nvidia's website ... same problem occurred (no output on projector , was earlier fine )... laptop drivers are model specific customized versions ... one cannot do without them . and yes ... vista suggested that i update the driver in windows update before the mess ... is yours a similar situation ? tell me , id get back with more suggestions if this does not work ... dont worry !
m
l
December 27, 2009 5:12:05 PM

Sony online support gave me a site and I went there and downloaded all the exectuables. None of them will install. I run the executable, it extracts, then a Nvidia screen pops up and then it says, "The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit."

The executable file was: 195.62_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whqul.exe

m
l
Related resources
December 27, 2009 5:23:52 PM

u may need to install the 965gm chipset driver before anything ... also , i checked the product specs from sony website , do u have intel x3100 or 8400gs on that laptop ? post the link to that download site , i will have a look myself ...
m
l
December 27, 2009 5:25:44 PM

Also, customer support said this particular laptop does not support Windows 7. Incredible to me, it's only 1.5 years old. My older sony Vaio works fine with an external monitor.
m
l

Best solution

December 27, 2009 5:36:02 PM

this is ridiculous , i don't think that there is a technical reason for it to not support ... artificially handicapped .. in fact , i have a crappier compaq running win 7 without problem ... but we'll try find a way out ... my compaq did not support the older win xp , only vista ... i found the right drivers after a bit of searching ...
December 27, 2009 5:36:49 PM

First. Thanks much.
The download site:

http://www.esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu_download.pl?md...

Edit: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10 GHz 2.10 GHz

Edit 2: It just can't detect the monitor. It won't "detect" and it won't find it when I do "add new hardware." However, this is a Gateway monitor with USB ports and it finds devices I plug into the USB ports on the monitor. Of issue here is I purchased a proprietary brand name - always the worst crap with the cheapest parts.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2009 9:34:06 AM

Hi xixi,

First, the esupport link you posted above is not good.

Second, have you checked your Device Manager?
Does it show any bad devices?

Third, with reference to the comment that your computer might not be Win7 compatible, have you thought about running the Upgrade Advisor on it?
See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/up...
m
l
December 28, 2009 2:53:32 PM

When you hook up your external monitor have you tried right clicking on the desktop and clicking "Screen Resolution"? I had the same problem on Windows 7 when ATI Catalyst Control Center was not detecting my Sharp Aquos LCD TV, but Windows 7 Screen Resolution did detect it. If this doesn't work, then it must be a driver issue problem.

Also, in Windows 7 you need to press the "Windows Symbol + P" keys on the keyboard and choose "extend" or "projector only" to use an external display.
m
l
!