Possible to upgrade from 4.1 to5.1?

darkmwar

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
Hi guys,
I current have 4.1 speaker system set up. "actually 4.2, because i am using 2 sets of 2.1 speakers"
My Audigy SE Sound blaster has 4 audio ports. 3 Out, 1 In. 2 are already in used.

Since im tight on budget, is it possible to purchase "JUST the center speaker. (MONO)"? For the center speaker, i can only hook it up to the last "OUT PORT" on the sound card.

Once again, Audigy SE , 4.1 to 5.1 , is tht possible?

When refering to x.1, the x is the total numer of speakers, the .1 is for the LFE (Low Frequency Emitter) aka sub-woofer.

So 2.1 = 2 speakers (left & right), and a sub. Hence, 5.1 = 5 speakers (left, right, center, left back, right back) and a sub.

I don't know your card, but there MIGHT be a sub-woofer output.

But my 2.1 set up on my PC only uses 1 output (green), going to the sub-and then out to each speaker. My motherboard has an onboard sound card with 6 colored ports. The port colors are pretty standard as follows:

orange = Center/Subwoofer out
black = rear speaker out (for 4,6, or 8-channel audio configuration)
gray = side speaker (for 8-channel audio config.)
light blue = Line In (for tape, cd, dvd, etc.)
green/lime = headphone or speakers (in a 4,6,8-channel config, this port is for front speaker out)
pink = microphone in

The use of a sub-woofer, before using more than 2 speakers, is highly recommended. Sub Woofers usually comes in a packege (i.e. 2 speakers & a sub), and can be gotten for a reasonable price.

But you get what you pay for. I've seen a 2.1 system for $20.00, but my Logitech Z-2300 THX Cerified 2.1 200 Watt Speaker System cost $110.00. Bose prices are way higher!

Get a sub, before you get a center speaker.

darkmwar

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008

here is my set up so far,
1 sub , then 2 speakers for front.
1 sub, then 2 speakers for back.
thats why i said i kinda have a 4.2 already. Now i just want to know, if i hook up a center speaker to the card, would it be 5.1 sounds, would it be able to configure it properly so when i play games, it comes out correctly

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi, darkmwar.

Here is a link to your soundcard manual: http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx (while it seems the online manual is busted, typical of SoundBlaster), DL it and it will tell you how to hook up your speakers properly in 5.1 or 7.1 which it seems your card is capable with the proper wiring. If you have a manual or a CD that came with the card it probably has the same instructions on it.

Here is a picture showing what each output on your soundcard does:

C44-3272-out2-hl.jpg

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010