Sign in with
Your question

Please critique and suggest adjustments to my new build.

Last response: in Systems
September 3, 2010 5:34:03 AM

Here is my current parts list:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within 3 months

BUDGET RANGE: $1500

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Whatever is highest

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Quiet PC wanted

Notice I selected a quantity of "2" for my graphics card selection.

I was thinking about a SSD for windows 7... is it worth it? Are these things a handful of trouble?

Am I bottlenecking anywhere?

Is there a piece of equipment that I am spending too much money on or, more importantly, an area where I could spend just a tiny bit more money and drastically improve the system as a whole?
September 6, 2010 1:25:59 AM

any insights?
Related resources
September 6, 2010 1:33:34 AM

Looks bad overall. Cheap biostar mobo, 5670, but an expensive i7 that offers nothing for gaming over an i5-760.

If you're buying in 3 months come back then.

Overpriced ram, expensive yet bad liquid cooling, for 5$ more you can get the 1TB samsung f3, cheapo monitor.
September 6, 2010 1:51:06 AM

There's no point chosing parts now if you're building in 3 months.

You don't need an i7 if all you're doing is gaming, no real advantage over an i5 setup.

Just look around in the "new built" section for i5 760 gaming rigs in your price range.
September 6, 2010 8:42:53 AM

Quote:
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming

Yep too many peeps online with impression that a pricey i7 platform with an inferior GPU would result in anywhere near a decent gaming rig these days @@
September 6, 2010 5:14:18 PM

why is that a cheap monitor?

why is the RAM overpriced?

is the GTX 465 a better GPU?
Anonymous
September 6, 2010 5:23:47 PM

Get a 760 i5 and OC it. Same quality, better price.
Although if you switch to an i5, you need to get a different MoBo (Which is what you should do anyways), and then you'll need to make sure everything else still supports with the new MoBo.

Imo it's an overpriced rig that could be made with cheaper OC'd parts.
September 6, 2010 7:30:07 PM

When I look at the charts, basically all of the i7 models are performing better than the i5 models for left 4 dead 2. Why?

Also why is the monitor a bad choice?
September 6, 2010 7:38:06 PM

L4D2 is entirely bandwidth constrained. It's one of the few apps that sees a benefit from triple channel memory.

And even then it in no way justifies the worse performance in most games/higher price of the i7.
September 6, 2010 11:13:03 PM

sp12 said:
L4D2 is entirely bandwidth constrained. It's one of the few apps that sees a benefit from triple channel memory.

And even then it in no way justifies the worse performance in most games/higher price of the i7.

well i cant find a chart in the charts section for CPU's that shows the i5 beating the i7... ever.

So what's the deal? Why is everyone harping that the i5 is better? Where is the quantitative proof?

Also, the monitor I picked was the customer choice award winner from new egg... whats wrong with it?

I'm starting to think everyone is messing with me because I'm a noob? lol

What's wrong with the water cooling? I'ts getting tons of good reviews from newegg buyers...
Anonymous
September 6, 2010 11:17:50 PM

l3randonf said:
well i cant find a chart in the charts section for CPU's that shows the i5 beating the i7... ever.

So what's the deal? Why is everyone harping that the i5 is better? Where is the quantitative proof?

Also, the monitor I picked was the customer choice award winner from new egg... whats wrong with it?

I'm starting to think everyone is messing with me because I'm a noob? lol

I just joined last week asking about my own build, so if anyone is a noob it's me. The only reason you don't find a chart saying i5 is better than i7 is because we're talking about an overclocked i5, which most companies do not chart/rate at. i5 is just as good as i7 when it's OCd, and it saves on price.
September 6, 2010 11:27:43 PM

When equally clocked, an i5 beats an i7 in games.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/109?vs=47

The water cooling has 'good reviews on newegg', but that's not relevant. For that price you can get a simpler and more effective air cooler.
September 7, 2010 12:11:59 AM

sp12 said:
When equally clocked, an i5 beats an i7 in games.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/109?vs=47

The water cooling has 'good reviews on newegg', but that's not relevant. For that price you can get a simpler and more effective air cooler.

so what happens when you oc your i7? it would only make sense that it would then be better.

air coolers will be simpler but louder?
September 7, 2010 1:10:52 AM

Well, then it would perform better. The i5s overclock better anyway thought due to the lower TDP.
September 7, 2010 3:01:16 AM

sp12 said:
Well, then it would perform better. The i5s overclock better anyway thought due to the lower TDP.

ok so we determined that the i7 IS actually better for games.

so what was wrong with my monitor choice and mobo?
September 7, 2010 3:43:22 AM

I'm not so picky on the monitor, but...

Air cooling ur CPU is fine, even for midrange OCs.
Mobo brand is the issue people have and its one of their cheaper models no doubt.
as a gaming rig, those video cards are embarrasing - buy 1 GTX460 preferable a 1024MB model
ur 40GB SSD is going to run out of room quite quickly after Windows is installed. I'd recommend atleast double so ur not hassled all the time by low space when u want to install something. and keep in mind you should atleast keep some space clear on the drive for the general build up you get over time.

ur probably better going for a cheaper P55 system rather than X58. you only need dual channel memory. my L4D2 runs locked at 60FPS no probs with dual channel ram. a decent video card like the GTX460 will pull along any game for the next 2 yrs no probs. with a P55 u can still get an i7. though ppl will tell u to get an i5, i like having HT. i makes me reminisce of times gone by.... ahhhh P4, i can feel ur heat disappation 7yrs later.....

September 7, 2010 4:22:45 AM

thank you for descriptive reply.

I wanted the SSD as a boot drive only, the 40 gig should do just fine for that right?
September 7, 2010 4:30:50 AM

also whats up with this "mini hdmi" jack on the back of the GTX460? Why not a regular HDMI jack? I want full HD with whatever I pick so this is concerning.

looking at the 5850 from ATI. 30 bux more but seems to be a better card according to the stats. correct me if im wrong.
September 7, 2010 5:51:16 AM

i'm sure mini hdmi is just a smaller connector, similar to mini USB. probably there to save space. and ur monitor isn't going to push the extent of HDMI or DVI. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

40GB is plenty just for an OS and attached software. but i reckon you'll notice a difference if your programs are on a slower hdd. you can always install on either serperately to test once u get it. but 2 would be perfect.

I'd get the GTX460 even though I have a 5850 myself, which plays pretty much everything except the most crushing settings, like monitor res, which urs is only 1920x1080, nothing burdening like a 30" monitor. I think nVidia did a great job on this card, plus the scaling of SLI for these cards is great in comparison to the competition, plus u get physX which even though i haven't seen first hand, i think would add to ur game experience, even slightly, can be enough to help make a game feel more immersive and fun and that's why we play. Isn't it XD
September 7, 2010 9:56:39 PM

blackmancer said:
i'm sure mini hdmi is just a smaller connector, similar to mini USB. probably there to save space. and ur monitor isn't going to push the extent of HDMI or DVI. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

40GB is plenty just for an OS and attached software. but i reckon you'll notice a difference if your programs are on a slower hdd. you can always install on either serperately to test once u get it. but 2 would be perfect.

I'd get the GTX460 even though I have a 5850 myself, which plays pretty much everything except the most crushing settings, like monitor res, which urs is only 1920x1080, nothing burdening like a 30" monitor. I think nVidia did a great job on this card, plus the scaling of SLI for these cards is great in comparison to the competition, plus u get physX which even though i haven't seen first hand, i think would add to ur game experience, even slightly, can be enough to help make a game feel more immersive and fun and that's why we play. Isn't it XD

So I'd have to get some kind of mini hdmi to regular hdmi converter in order to plug into my monitor? seems pointless :x

September 8, 2010 5:00:01 AM

listen,

HDMI - home theatre arrangement
DVI - how you're gonna connect your monitor

and theres probably a mini to regular HDMI cable out there, Google is your friend, use it.

end of story.
September 8, 2010 9:12:17 PM

blackmancer said:
listen,

HDMI - home theatre arrangement
DVI - how you're gonna connect your monitor

and theres probably a mini to regular HDMI cable out there, Google is your friend, use it.

end of story.

DVI is not how you connect to all monitors as HDMI is clearly an option for computer monitors now.
September 9, 2010 2:39:10 AM

you are a n00b and a waste of time at that. i'm giving you advice and you don't want it.

go buy whatever stupid computer you wanna buy and dont bitch when "this doesn't work/do what I want"

you think you're smart, go right ahead Mr "DVI is not how you connect..."

if you're so smart why are you asking stupid questions, if you knew anything you wouldn't have everyone bag out your build as crap and a waste of money.
September 9, 2010 4:47:41 AM

blackmancer said:
you are a n00b and a waste of time at that. i'm giving you advice and you don't want it.

go buy whatever stupid computer you wanna buy and dont bitch when "this doesn't work/do what I want"

you think you're smart, go right ahead Mr "DVI is not how you connect..."

if you're so smart why are you asking stupid questions, if you knew anything you wouldn't have everyone bag out your build as crap and a waste of money.

I just said that DVI is not the only way to connect as there is an HDMI option now.
December 16, 2010 7:46:03 AM

Get an i5 760, i would never regret buying it. However if you plan to build within 3 months then you should really come back then, parts and prices change every 2 weeks so its really not worth considering what you want now.
!