Sign in with
Your question

Rebuild Dell XPS 420

Last response: in Motherboards
July 21, 2011 10:11:19 AM

Hi guys,
About 3yrs ago I brought a Dell XPS 420, Already made some upgrades such as the PSU (Jeantech Storm 750W) and the Graphics card to
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SuperClocked 1024MB, And the Memory to 4 X 1Gb 800Mhz DDR2

I would like to buy a new SLI Motherboard if possible using the same memory and processor (CORE 2 QUAD Q6600) along with all of the oither components. I know I will need to change the case to do this, with that in mind I have been thinking of the COOLER MASTER STORM SNIPER or similer,
Has anyone have any idea for a sutiable Mothboard.

Thanks

More about : rebuild dell xps 420

a c 435 V Motherboard
July 21, 2011 10:17:04 AM

Sli ddr2 775 boards are scarce. I wouldn't build another system around one. Instead, get some cheap ddr3 and go with amd. You can sell your old cpu/board/ram on craigslist or ebay. I also use anandtech. When you switch to a non dell motherboard, your windows won't load without a new coa. Your original windows coa reads a small bios file identifying your motherboard as a geniune dell. Dell gets windows cheaper that way. Check newegg for some of the newer am3+ motherboards. Amd just released the new hudsons with the best onboard graphics ever, requiring a new socket motherboard. Or you can go with the phenom II and am3+ board.
July 21, 2011 2:39:31 PM

If I forgo the Sli, or change the memory to DDR3 am I left with any options then. I would prefer to stay with the Intel processor
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 21, 2011 11:10:54 PM

Then spend the extra money on the i5 2xxx series 1155. I would go with a z68 micro atx board.
!