Sign in with
Your question

Wipe or format?

Last response: in Storage
December 11, 2012 12:08:19 AM

Hello,

I have bought a brand new seagate barracuda it has windows profesional on it from the factory.
There is none of my data on it at all.

I want to install windows home premium on them. So do I wipe it (to erase windows pro) and then format it? Or do I just format it - any help appreciated

More about : wipe format

a b G Storage
December 11, 2012 12:21:39 AM

Why not use Windows Pro?
I would create a disk image backup of it using Windows Backup and jot down the Windows Pro license number key also.

As far as wiping it or not, I would delete the partition and recreate it. Windows Home will let you do that during the actual setup.
m
l
December 11, 2012 12:29:30 AM

Hi - thanks
I don't want to use pro because I don't have a product key for it - but I am going to put this in a computer that I do have a home premium key for (and disk)

So if I understand, are you saying just plug in the hard drive and boot from the CD drive using my home premium disk - and the home premium will help install itself?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 11, 2012 1:26:35 AM

Yes, correct, use the DVD and boot with it. During the setup process, select advanced options and delete the exisiting partition (you don't really HAVE to it, but I would), it will ask you where you want to install it, and select the partition that you want it on.
m
l
!