Solved

Can Phenom x6 Make A Good VM Server

I am sure this is a question that has been asked before but here it goes. Is it possible to build a reliable VM/ESX server on the Phenome x6, or is the opteron 4100 and 6100 series the be all and end all for AMD Virtualization platforms. I know they differ in several ways, but is the core not the same?
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about phenom make good server
  1. It certainly is possible, but what motherboard will you use? Local storage (what type) or a SAN? What about the NICs? I'd be more concerned with the motherboard and controllers compatibility than the CPU itself.
  2. Best answer
    The real question is the application of your Virtual Machines in terms of whether 6 cores is enough.

I run VMware ESXi 4.1 on my Phenom 1090T workstation with 16gigs memory overclocked to 4.0ghz. I can easily run 8-10+ client and server VMs for testing purposes.

I don't run any high processor consuming apps like testing SQL server or rendering, I only work on system admin configurations (AD, WSUS, WDS) and my CPU utilization isn't even close to being maxed.

For production purposes, the 6100 series / Magny-Cours is obviously the more appropriate solution due to it's larger number of cores and memory scalability with a dual socket board.
  3. Best answer selected by blokeandsally.
Ask a new question

Read More

Servers Phenom Components