IBM x236, 2x PCIe x4, which graphic card do I choose, what about SLI & Cross

I have IBM xSeries 236, Intel E7525, dual 3.8/800/2M, 8GB DDR2....budget $200 max. Have 2x PCIe x4, which graphic card to buy? What about SLI & Crossfire ?
9 answers Last reply
More about x236 pcie graphic card choose cross
  1. That's a server rig isn't it? What do you want to do with it?
  2. Do graphics cards work on non PCI-E 16 slots? This caught me off guard!
  3. I think that machine has two PCIe slots, one at x8 and the other at x16.
  4. Idk, I found a few sites that keep saying two PCI-Express 8x slots. Where are you seeing the x16?
  5. borisof007 said:
    Idk, I found a few sites that keep saying two PCI-Express 8x slots. Where are you seeing the x16?

Quote:

Expansion slots 6 available (1x PCI-X 133 MHz Active PCI-X, 2x PCI-X 100
    MHz, 2x PCI-Express, 1x 32-bit/33 MHz)

Link

As that is an old pdf I'm assuming they mean two x16 slots as there were a few other manufactures describing dual x16 slot boards that way at the time, I bought a couple!
  6. Mousemonkey said:
    Quote:

Expansion slots 6 available (1x PCI-X 133 MHz Active PCI-X, 2x PCI-X 100
    MHz, 2x PCI-Express, 1x 32-bit/33 MHz)

Link

As that is an old pdf I'm assuming they mean two x16 slots as there were a few other manufactures describing dual x16 slot boards that way at the time, I bought a couple!

#
    There is 2x PCIe x4 (mehanical) slot's .
    The later revision of board has x8 (mehanical), but anyway, the main purpose is video editing.
  7. Xilinx said:
    #
    There is 2x PCIe x4 (mehanical) slot's .
    The later revision of board has x8 (mehanical), but anyway, the main purpose is video editing.

:o That's...different! You could possibly run a pair of ATi cards in crossfire but due to the low bandwidth of those slots it would not be worth it, even a lowish performing single card is going to be held back by a PCIe slot running at x4 I reckon.
  8. Mousemonkey said:
    :o That's...different! You could possibly run a pair of ATi cards in crossfire but due to the low bandwidth of those slots it would not be worth it, even a lowish performing single card is going to be held back by a PCIe slot running at x4 I reckon.

Apology,
    I made a mistake...... it's 2 slot's, each x8 mehanical & PCIe x4 electrical (speed). !!!
  9. I realize this is an old thread but the original question has not been answered (apologies if I'm not using the forum correctly). Does anyone out there actually have a PCIe (not PCI, not PCI-X) video card of any flavor (x1, 14, x8) working in an IBM x236? That would be in either slots #2 or #3.
    Thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards IBM SLI Graphics