Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading GPU on a VERY old system...

Last response: in Systems
September 3, 2010 8:52:54 AM

Well, I'm having framerate issues with my old rig that I built back in ~2002 or so (I think, by god it's been so long!) and I want to upgrade my old GeForce 6200 to the best AGPx8 card I can find. What sort of compatibility issues will I run into?

My motherboard is an Intel D865PERL, and I'm running an Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.00Ghz. As long as my mobo has the AGPx8 slot (which it does) I should be fine upgrading to one of these, am I correct? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) Or will I be bottlenecked by my CPU?

Anything else you would need to know before I can purchase a card that will suit my needs?

Thanks muchly in advance! :D 

More about : upgrading gpu system

a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2010 8:57:03 AM

the fastest agp card is the ati 3870 but they are ridiculously expensive these days your best would be an ati 4670 Agp but i wouldn't pump that much money into a system that old
m
l
September 3, 2010 9:02:45 AM

Quite honestly I don't mind dropping some cash to drastically improve my gaming experience now to hold me over until I can save up for a much better system down the road. I know it's not the greatest idea, but I'd rather spend some now and more later than go through the wait while I save up :( 
m
l
Related resources
September 3, 2010 9:05:05 AM

What is your budget?

Also, can you give us more specs on your system.

Type of ram, PSU, etc...
m
l
September 3, 2010 9:18:49 AM

I'd be willing to spend ~$150, which looks like how much the higher-end AGP cards run, coincidentally :o 

RAM: 3GB (2x 1GB Kingston + 2x 512GB Unlabled PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
PSU: Thermaltake Purepower 420W
CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 3.0Ghz (Dual Core)
Windows XP

Is there any other information you'd need to know? Apologies if I left anything out!

EDIT: I'm mostly asking to see if I could get away with upgrading JUST the Video Card. If I have to upgrade multiple components, I might as well bite the bullet and save up for a much nicer setup than throw money at this outdated build. I should have clarified :D 
m
l
September 3, 2010 9:32:17 AM

You shouldn't have any problem witht the 4650 if you just want to hold this system for another year or so.

What games are you playing BTW?
m
l
September 3, 2010 9:37:45 AM

ATM, just starcraft II. I played WoW on this system for a while, but 25 man raids @~5fps were just brutal (main raid healer!), and I got burnt out.

I'm sure SC2 will hold me over until Diablo III. By then I'd build myself a new system though :D 

Again, thanks muchly for the feedback.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2010 9:52:15 AM

Honestly, i am not sure how much help a new GPU is going to be for SC2, I fear your computer has gone beyond old age. The reality is, you need to get about $400 to build a new system, spending $150 on a card which will provide you very limited gains is just going to result in a longer wait before you can get a decent system, it would not be so bad if the card could have been PCI E because at least then you could have reused it
m
l
September 3, 2010 10:08:49 AM

I was able to play SCII on medium settings with this system:

Athlon X2 2.1 GHz
2GB DDR2 RAM
HD 4670 1 GB DDR5 (PCIE)

This is not to dispute anything but to be used as a reference. I understand that he got an AGP mobo so its no comparison to a PCIE.

Can you find a mobo that support your current cpu but has PCIE? What model is your cpu? But if you're gonna buy a new motherboard might as well make a new system like asteldian said.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2010 12:02:38 PM

@punnar : you can't compare your system to P4. P4 is older. Beside, SC2 gain benefits more on proc than gpu.

PIV has only 1 core, old, slow. I don't know if you can play SC2 properly.
P4 is just way beyond upgrading, not worth upgrading anything in such system.
I say, just forget the upgrading plan, save your money, and start planning to get a new rig.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2010 12:03:48 PM

Spending money on what you have is literally throwing money down a hole. No matter what you do, you will still have an old slow system. Why bother replacing an old slow gaming card with a new slow gaming card? Your results are going to be pretty disappointing.
m
l
September 3, 2010 12:19:32 PM

guanyu210379 said:
@punnar : you can't compare your system to P4. P4 is older. Beside, SC2 gain benefits more on proc than gpu.

PIV has only 1 core, old, slow. I don't know if you can play SC2 properly.
P4 is just way beyond upgrading, not worth upgrading anything in such system.
I say, just forget the upgrading plan, save your money, and start planning to get a new rig.

According to the OP, he got a dual core cpu. And my post did say that its no comparison but only a reference.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2010 12:57:59 PM

if you willing to shell out a bit

Sunbeam VentMax
BIOSTAR TA870+ AM3 + PNY Optima 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB
SAPPHIRE 100287L Radeon HD 5670
AMD Athlon II X3 440

$405 before rebate

don't know if you need the case but i bet your case is also from 2002 but a solid build that could serve you for a while

and just reuse what you can from your current pc
September 3, 2010 2:11:51 PM

Best answer selected by shoegaze.
m
l
September 3, 2010 2:13:35 PM

obsidian86 said:
if you willing to shell out a bit

Sunbeam VentMax
BIOSTAR TA870+ AM3 + PNY Optima 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB
SAPPHIRE 100287L Radeon HD 5670
AMD Athlon II X3 440

$405 before rebate

don't know if you need the case but i bet your case is also from 2002 but a solid build that could serve you for a while

and just reuse what you can from your current pc

Hm, that is a very nice upgradable build, that's easy on the wallet.
I should just stop being stubborn and wait it out for a couple weeks and build myself a new rig. In the long run something upgradable would be better than buying an AGP card I'll never be able to reuse...

Aye, thanks for the advice everyone! Sorry for my stubborn-ness :p 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2010 2:19:54 PM

now you talking sense :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2010 6:26:48 PM

punnar said:
According to the OP, he got a dual core cpu. And my post did say that its no comparison but only a reference.

No P4 has dual cores inside, the first dual core procs are the pentium Ds.
I have still have one of the Pentium D805 lying around at home.
If so the case is, then it is not a Pentium 4 series.
m
l
!