Sign in with
Your question

Asus P8P67 PRO Memory issues - I just can't win!

Last response: in Memory
July 21, 2011 3:08:09 PM

Hi Everyone :hello: 

So a few months back I put together a new build based on the Asus P8P67 PRO B3 and 2500k, powered by a Corsair 750TX and Gainward 570 Phantom for graphics...

Initially I had an 8GB (2x4GB) pair of Corsair XMS3:

http://www.corsair.com/memory/xms-classic/xms3-ddr3-mem...

The system was stable for about 2-3 weeks before I started noticing odd behaviour which got progressively worse... Large installations would fail (CRC errors) and eventually I'd often get BSODs... I consulted the Asus forum and the best advice was to change to memory that ran at the recommended 1.5v

Which I did... I got these:

G. Skill Ripjaws X

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=353

It worked wonderfully for 2-3 weeks before the EXACT same issues started showing up!!!! Is this board killing my memory?!?!?! :fou: 

I've updated to the latest BIOS 1704 and run thorough checks on most other components...

Memtest fails. Asus Diagnostic Utility Memory stress test failed.

Errors occur whether set to XMP or manually or AUTO.

No OC, everything at stock. Bios on default settings.

Any ideas? I've literally been scouring the web and dealing with this for months with only small windows of proper functionality.
July 25, 2011 2:42:52 PM

Hey, everyone as stumped by this as me? :pt1cable: 

I've since flashed the BIOS to ver 1850, removed the CMOS battery to reset all settings to default, switched RAM positions from the recommended A2, B2 to A1, B1 and tried running at 1333 instead of 1600...

No change. Random BSODs. CRC errors from the slightest compressed files and what's worse, it killed my install of Witcher 2 when I tried to upgrade to 1.3 :( 

Reeeeeeaaaaaallly not liking ASUS right about now :sarcastic: 
a c 347 } Memory
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
July 25, 2011 3:56:02 PM

1. BIOS P8P67 Pro 1850 BIOS is the latest -> Improve system stability. Only use the 'Blue' DIMM slots.

2. BIOS + RAM:
DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.50v
Set manually {DRAM Frequency, CAS Timings, and DRAM Voltage per spec AND use Command Rate -> 2 {2N/2T same thing}

You can try: DRAM Voltage -> 1.60v and QPI/VTT/VCCIO Voltage -> 1.15v~1.20v

3. MSCONFIG -> select Diagnostic

4. RUN your 'Tests'

---FAILURE---
5. Failure then Breadboard - there might be a 'short': USB, HSF, Standoffs, etc. IMO - pull all of your Front Panel header connections. There's a Lazy-man's breadboard: unscrew MOBO standoffs & PCI screws, and dangle the MOBO supported by a towel. Even the power button: use a screwdriver etc and short the PWR+ & PWR-/Ground. NO Peripherals except GPU; try second PCIe slot.

Yes, the 'ankle bone' sometimes affects the 'elbow.' Shorts work in very peculiar ways especially HSF mounting shorts.

Q - What HSF?
Q - What Peripherals?
July 25, 2011 5:58:21 PM

Thanks jaquith!

Will give all those a try...

FYI:

Case is a Coolermaster CM690 and is the same one my last P35/Q6600 build lived in for years...

HSF is a Noctua NH-D14 far as I can tell, nothing's 'touching' :( 

Peripherals:

Acer H233H
Logitech G5
Cheap A$$ ps2 keyboard
WD 2TB Eco green in a Coolermaster Xport 351 USB enclosure

Drives:

Seagate 7200.12 1TB (OS)
2 x Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB

Thanks for the tips!!!!!! :) 
!