monsterZERO

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Hey guys, quick question. I noticed over the past month that my PCs performance has really bogged down (especially in games). For example I went from getting about 60fps in Arma 2 to like 12-15fps. I ran 3Dmark06 and only scored an 8000 whereas 9 months ago when I first built my PC it scored a 17000. I couldn't figure it out so during my 'troubleshooting' I checked my CPU temperatures. Much to my surprise I was IDLING at 83C, and maxing out the temperature gauge at 99C :eek: . I immediately shut down the PC and discovered that my (stock) heatsink wasn't fully seated against the CPU. I cleaned and reapplied some thermal paste and reinstalled the heatsink properly. My 3Dmark06 score immediately jumped back up to 17000, and my performance is back where it was. My CPU now idles in the mid-to-high 30's and hits high 60's under full load. I have since ordered a Corsair H50 cooler, and am just waiting for it to arrive.

I wouldn't be worried if it only overheated once, but I think it has been roasting like that for at least a month, maybe more. It seems fine now, but is there any way I can test it? Or should I just stop worrying... Anyway, thanks for your time.

-monsterZERO

PC Specs:

i5 750 (Stock, no O/C)
Asus P7P55 LE
ATI HD 5850
4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR 3 1600
Generic 750W Power Supply

It throttled itself to protect itself, hence the bogged performance.

I believe a month and not hitting much past 80*C prolly wouldnt have damaged it. If you are unsure, just try any stability test you would do with overclocking. Prime95, linx etc.

Other than that, likely no worries.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
You could also try OCCT, if you set up the options and the things you want it to monitor during the tests(CPU temps and voltages), it will produce a line graph for each one when it is finished. I just thought I would mention it because I think it is a nice feature.

The CPU has thermal protection built in, like enzo mentioned. It should still be OK, but keep an eye on it for a while just to be sure. And be more careful when seating the heat sink next time!

Donot worry. If your performance is fine then everything is fine.Intel cpus can handle temp upto 100c unlike amd cpus which will be roasted at those temps.
Tell that to my old Athlon 3200+. 115-120*C I found out manually was the thermal shutdown when I decided to run it without a HSF. It's still fine. I fold on it 24-7 along with a radeon 3870 these days. Go take your tolling elsewhere.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

I kinda miss the old days of 200*C cpu..

Donot worry. If your performance is fine then everything is fine.Intel cpus can handle temp upto 100c unlike amd cpus which will be roasted at those temps.

:pfff:

You might want to prove stuff like that with sources before you make claims like that ever again.

Now, I have had 1 AMD cpu "roasted" after overheating. Although were talking about the first cpu's my family ever owned and that was before all the overheating protections that was taken place. 1999 when this cpu was bought. Which has no real value in today world of current cpu when talking about heat.

@ OP

Although yes, Over Heat protections is a wonderful thing to have on modern cpu's. My dad's older laptop with a core 2 duo, it was overheating once. My dad couldn't figure out why it was running slow and why the laptop was really hot (hot as in you could feel the heat though the keyboard). I open up core temp and see it's running at it max temp! on idle! (Max temp for this cpu is 85c.)

Although the difference is between your issue and his was that, the heat issue was caused by (what i call) 20 years of dust. Can-o-air solved that issue. (and that's last time i have the bottom vent for cpu ever point anywhere remotely close to me.) he was in an old Hotel for a few month while in a different state and when he return, thats when i fixed the issue. For the man that got me started on computers, he sure wasn't taking care of his computer that time :sarcastic:

Anyways, That cpu is running just fine now like nothing never happened it. :) Im confident that your cpu is just fine.