New Gaming PC for Starcraft2.

Hey there, I built my own PC about 7 years ago, since then I have not really been doing my research like I did before. Needless to say I am kind of in the dark for new PC parts. My PC still works, no problems at all, had to replace my first hard drive just a week ago, very happy with what I built. I am looking for a new rig though, I can run Satrcraft2 now on low settings, but there is still a little lag, stutters. I use Photoshop as well, I am not a avid gamer though, just play Starcraft2 and Valve games.

I live in Canada. My pc now is.
Thermaltake case - Tsunami Dream
Asus A8n-sli Deluxe MOBO
2 gigs Corsair TwinX
500 gig WD SATA
ATI x850 PCI-E
Logitech Z5500 speakers 5.1
Antec Neo Power 480W
Viewsonic 19inch G90f crt

I dont know if I can salvage anything here, I am guessing not, it's been a while. My speakers are great, I do still love my crt monitor, but I guess I should go with a LCD? The case is fine, but don't know if it will still work with the new MOBO's?

Any help would be great, thank-you very much. Hoping to not spend more then $1200, hopefully less, thanks. 1 more thing, I dont know if I got lucky, but I must say I am very pleased with how my pc is still running, seeing my friends more fancy store bought ( AlienWare )pc's breaking down after 2- 3 years. SO, if you know good reliabilty products, with a good track record, thanks. Take care.
5 answers Last reply
More about gaming starcraft2
  1. You could salvage the HDD, speakers, optical disk drive (you have one right?) case and monitor, unless you want a newer monitor. If the HDD is quite slow you might want a new one. The Thermaltake Tsunami Dream supports µATX, ATX and EATX motherboards so it should accommodate nearly all motherboards.

I'm thinking of an Intel Core i5 760, Asus P7P55D-E Pro, G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB, GTX 460 system. That alone should cost you around $720 from newegg.com, and allows you to expand to a Core i7, and GTX 460 later on. Also you could expand the memory too. A decent power supply would be the Corsair HX650 and that could power your whole system and leave room for expansion. That's another $120. That's all you really need, for $840. If you're tired of XP then add $100 for Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM. A decent ~ 22" LCD will cost $150 if you do want one.
  2. The MOBO is good for 5.1 sound, no problems. I am guessing no one really uses sound cards anymore. Thanks.
  3. looks like the only thing you can actually use is the thermatake case and the 500 gig wd sata hd....

however if you buy a new computer new case is the most important thing, so when you look at your computer you feel good!! with that said lets start from scratch~

Like most games Starcraft only runs on 3 cores so any quad-core will do ie: intel i5 750/760, Amd x6 (new hexacore chip which is 6 cores)

DDR3 is what you should get because is solves all the incompatibility issues ddr2's had and of course its the new generation ddr's. Faster, cheaper, more energy efficient.

Anyways i build computers on the side and i just built a gaming computer under $800.

Price / Performance, and reliability is what you want. All brands that i chose are highest rated brands for each perspective hardware...

AMD Phenom II X6 1035T for $199
    4 gb ADATA DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 cas latency 9 240-pin $86.00
    Corsair 650 psu $79.99
    ASUS M4A77D motherboard 79.99
    MSI Nvidia 250 GTS 1G GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 Video Card 114.99

ALL PRICES FROM NEWEGG~~ SUM IS $560 which is half of what you orginally wanting to pay!

Case will be whatever you like... remember case is important to your feel-good new build. it will remind how powerful you are therefore translate in your gaming.

ps. you can run SC2 on highest settings smoothly GL!
  4. Thanks for all the reply's so far. I am really liking how that Cooler Master CM 690 2 case looks. Thanks.
  5. Hey check out:

http://newbcomputerbuild.com/

This will play SCII all ultra settings for about 700 I believe
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Starcraft 2 Systems