Your question

New Gaming PC for Starcraft2.

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Starcraft 2
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 3, 2010 10:46:53 AM

Hey there, I built my own PC about 7 years ago, since then I have not really been doing my research like I did before. Needless to say I am kind of in the dark for new PC parts. My PC still works, no problems at all, had to replace my first hard drive just a week ago, very happy with what I built. I am looking for a new rig though, I can run Satrcraft2 now on low settings, but there is still a little lag, stutters. I use Photoshop as well, I am not a avid gamer though, just play Starcraft2 and Valve games.

I live in Canada. My pc now is.
Thermaltake case - Tsunami Dream
Asus A8n-sli Deluxe MOBO
2 gigs Corsair TwinX
500 gig WD SATA
ATI x850 PCI-E
Logitech Z5500 speakers 5.1
Antec Neo Power 480W
Viewsonic 19inch G90f crt

I dont know if I can salvage anything here, I am guessing not, it's been a while. My speakers are great, I do still love my crt monitor, but I guess I should go with a LCD? The case is fine, but don't know if it will still work with the new MOBO's?

Any help would be great, thank-you very much. Hoping to not spend more then $1200, hopefully less, thanks. 1 more thing, I dont know if I got lucky, but I must say I am very pleased with how my pc is still running, seeing my friends more fancy store bought ( AlienWare )pc's breaking down after 2- 3 years. SO, if you know good reliabilty products, with a good track record, thanks. Take care.

More about : gaming starcraft2

September 3, 2010 11:24:53 AM

You could salvage the HDD, speakers, optical disk drive (you have one right?) case and monitor, unless you want a newer monitor. If the HDD is quite slow you might want a new one. The Thermaltake Tsunami Dream supports µATX, ATX and EATX motherboards so it should accommodate nearly all motherboards.

I'm thinking of an Intel Core i5 760, Asus P7P55D-E Pro, G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB, GTX 460 system. That alone should cost you around $720 from newegg.com, and allows you to expand to a Core i7, and GTX 460 later on. Also you could expand the memory too. A decent power supply would be the Corsair HX650 and that could power your whole system and leave room for expansion. That's another $120. That's all you really need, for $840. If you're tired of XP then add $100 for Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM. A decent ~ 22" LCD will cost $150 if you do want one.

September 3, 2010 11:59:21 AM

The MOBO is good for 5.1 sound, no problems. I am guessing no one really uses sound cards anymore. Thanks.
Related resources
September 3, 2010 12:01:25 PM

looks like the only thing you can actually use is the thermatake case and the 500 gig wd sata hd....

however if you buy a new computer new case is the most important thing, so when you look at your computer you feel good!! with that said lets start from scratch~

Like most games Starcraft only runs on 3 cores so any quad-core will do ie: intel i5 750/760, Amd x6 (new hexacore chip which is 6 cores)

DDR3 is what you should get because is solves all the incompatibility issues ddr2's had and of course its the new generation ddr's. Faster, cheaper, more energy efficient.

Anyways i build computers on the side and i just built a gaming computer under $800.

Price / Performance, and reliability is what you want. All brands that i chose are highest rated brands for each perspective hardware...

AMD Phenom II X6 1035T for $199
4 gb ADATA DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 cas latency 9 240-pin $86.00
Corsair 650 psu $79.99
ASUS M4A77D motherboard 79.99
MSI Nvidia 250 GTS 1G GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 Video Card 114.99

ALL PRICES FROM NEWEGG~~ SUM IS $560 which is half of what you orginally wanting to pay!

Case will be whatever you like... remember case is important to your feel-good new build. it will remind how powerful you are therefore translate in your gaming.

ps. you can run SC2 on highest settings smoothly GL!
September 3, 2010 12:15:25 PM

Thanks for all the reply's so far. I am really liking how that Cooler Master CM 690 2 case looks. Thanks.
Anonymous
October 18, 2010 6:43:04 PM

Hey check out:

http://newbcomputerbuild.com/

This will play SCII all ultra settings for about 700 I believe
!