CPU Retail.

Theoretically speaking,

If I were to open up a CPU retail and sell Intel, and AMD microprocessors to the public, how would I go about getting the boxes for resale? Do I go through the companies,(OEM), or do I find a distributor,(DSP)?
13 answers Last reply
More about retail
  1. I am guessing here but most companies these days will not deal directly with a re-seller and they use a middel man to get there product out to where it needs to be. It saves them the hassel of dealing with countless businesses and the paperwork of so many transactions. I think this is probably the case with such a HUGE company as Intel or AMD.
  2. How do guys like Micro Center and Fry's get their Processors then?
  3. I think to do what your saying you'll have to be able to buy a significant amount at a time to get the direct from factory price, other wise your looking at just buying wholesale. I thought about doing it until I realized I would need about $100,000.00USD to get started. My idea was to buy a crap load of cpu's direct from Intel, then sell them at a 15 to 20 percent mark up on e-bay.
  4. ^ Yep that sounds about right, I belive that Intel actually lists per 1000 unit prices on some chips, but it may have been just the EOL ones, not the new stuff.
  5. Yes it's tray prices, now that you mention it, I think it was more like 2 or 300,000.00USD to get started and that's just one type of cpu.
  6. This was a theory. I was curious as to retail on CPU's and see how they work. I would be cool to do it thought. Just need to find a niche in the market.

Anyways, keep posting. It would be great to see where this goes!
  7. sportsfanboy said:
    I think to do what your saying you'll have to be able to buy a significant amount at a time to get the direct from factory price, other wise your looking at just buying wholesale. I thought about doing it until I realized I would need about $100,000.00USD to get started. My idea was to buy a crap load of cpu's direct from Intel, then sell them at a 15 to 20 percent mark up on e-bay.

Two words:

Business

Plan

That is how many start out with. no one can make 500,000 USD strictly in years of employment!
  8. I know business plan then go for a loan. It will have to be a sizable loan,but doable depending on the model you have in place.
  9. ^ I thought Murphy's Law was a law of mechanics. Basically, stating:

The state of a mechanical device is not determined but rather the chance that an unlikely event, the one with the lowest expectation to fail, will fail in any environment.

Ex: Your alternator fails even though you service it and watch it for any likely failures.
  10. Murphy's Law can be contradictory to an act-based Moore's Law:

Moore shows the increase of performance of 200% every 18 months while Murphy shows the degradation of each transistor by 200% every 18 months.
  11. Anybody want to care to have any ides on why this would be a success/failure?
  12. dogman_1234 said:
    Murphy's Law can be contradictory to an act-based Moore's Law:

Moore shows the increase of performance of 200% every 18 months while Murphy shows the degradation of each transistor by 200% every 18 months.

correction, moore show a doubling of transistor count every 18 months. This does not translate to a doubling of performance.
  13. Originally, it was transistor AND performance...but performance was too misguided and then #'s/18 became popular.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Intel