Sign in with
Your question

CPU Retail.

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2010 4:11:19 AM

Theoretically speaking,

If I were to open up a CPU retail and sell Intel, and AMD microprocessors to the public, how would I go about getting the boxes for resale? Do I go through the companies,(OEM), or do I find a distributor,(DSP)?

More about : cpu retail

a b à CPUs
November 25, 2010 4:41:38 AM

I am guessing here but most companies these days will not deal directly with a re-seller and they use a middel man to get there product out to where it needs to be. It saves them the hassel of dealing with countless businesses and the paperwork of so many transactions. I think this is probably the case with such a HUGE company as Intel or AMD.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2010 1:51:31 PM

How do guys like Micro Center and Fry's get their Processors then?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2010 2:07:32 PM

I think to do what your saying you'll have to be able to buy a significant amount at a time to get the direct from factory price, other wise your looking at just buying wholesale. I thought about doing it until I realized I would need about $100,000.00USD to get started. My idea was to buy a crap load of cpu's direct from Intel, then sell them at a 15 to 20 percent mark up on e-bay.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2010 3:09:14 PM

^ Yep that sounds about right, I belive that Intel actually lists per 1000 unit prices on some chips, but it may have been just the EOL ones, not the new stuff.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2010 3:45:15 PM

Yes it's tray prices, now that you mention it, I think it was more like 2 or 300,000.00USD to get started and that's just one type of cpu.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2010 4:16:42 PM

This was a theory. I was curious as to retail on CPU's and see how they work. I would be cool to do it thought. Just need to find a niche in the market.

Anyways, keep posting. It would be great to see where this goes!
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2010 4:20:47 PM

sportsfanboy said:
I think to do what your saying you'll have to be able to buy a significant amount at a time to get the direct from factory price, other wise your looking at just buying wholesale. I thought about doing it until I realized I would need about $100,000.00USD to get started. My idea was to buy a crap load of cpu's direct from Intel, then sell them at a 15 to 20 percent mark up on e-bay.

Two words:

Business

Plan

That is how many start out with. no one can make 500,000 USD strictly in years of employment!
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2010 4:36:07 PM

I know business plan then go for a loan. It will have to be a sizable loan,but doable depending on the model you have in place.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 8:36:20 PM

^ I thought Murphy's Law was a law of mechanics. Basically, stating:

The state of a mechanical device is not determined but rather the chance that an unlikely event, the one with the lowest expectation to fail, will fail in any environment.

Ex: Your alternator fails even though you service it and watch it for any likely failures.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 8:38:15 PM

Murphy's Law can be contradictory to an act-based Moore's Law:

Moore shows the increase of performance of 200% every 18 months while Murphy shows the degradation of each transistor by 200% every 18 months.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2010 2:44:51 AM

Anybody want to care to have any ides on why this would be a success/failure?
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 28, 2010 3:19:15 AM

dogman_1234 said:
Murphy's Law can be contradictory to an act-based Moore's Law:

Moore shows the increase of performance of 200% every 18 months while Murphy shows the degradation of each transistor by 200% every 18 months.

correction, moore show a doubling of transistor count every 18 months. This does not translate to a doubling of performance.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2010 3:24:47 AM

Originally, it was transistor AND performance...but performance was too misguided and then #'s/18 became popular.
m
l
!