Closed

Backwards compatability with PCI express slots

Hello,
I have a motherboard with a PCI-E v1.0a compliant slot, will the newer 2.0 and 2.1 cards work in this slot?
11 answers Last reply
More about backwards compatability express slots
  1. Hello,
    I have a motherboard with a PCI-E v1.0a compliant slot, will the newer 2.0 and 2.1 cards work in this slot?
  2. Yes

PCI 2.0 x8 = PCI 1.0 x16, etc...
  3. Hello and welcome to the forums
    Yes PCI-E 2.0/2.1 is backward compatible with PCI-E 1.0
  4. Just to be clear,

2.1 PCI-Express video cards may have issues working in 1.0 PCI-Express motherboard slots.
  5. Quote:
    Hello,

you can't use PCI-E 2.1 cards, that mean you can't buy any new ATI card. 80% motherboard will get trouble. try Nvidia card which should work. anyway buy them from local shop in case you need return them. I have returned 3 ATI card when I was trying to upgrade my GT8800 card
  6. Maziar said:
    Hello and welcome to the forums
    Yes PCI-E 2.0/2.1 is backward compatible with PCI-E 1.0

I believe backward compatible only mean you can put PCI-E 1.0 card in a PCI-E 2.0 slot and not vice versa
  7. Right, except 2.0 cards can work in 1.0 slots, just not 2.1 cards in 1.0 slots.
  8. yanje03 said:
    I believe backward compatible only mean you can put PCI-E 1.0 card in a PCI-E 2.0 slot and not vice versa

The simple fact that I ran a pair of 8800GT's which are PCIe 2.0 cards on an ABIT AN8 32X motherboard which is PCIe 1.0/1.0, should blow that belief out of the water.
  9. This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
    Backwards compatability with PCI express slots
  10. I meant that you can use a PCI-E 2.0 card in a motherboard which has PCI-E 1.0 slot
  11. borisof007 said:
    Right, except 2.0 cards can work in 1.0 slots, just not 2.1 cards in 1.0 slots.

Yes i was talking about putting a 2.0 or 2.1 in a 1.0a slot, so it sounds like I should stick with an 2.0 card (tough to find a dual dvi 1.0 card anymore). I've typically stuck to ATI NVidia has given me problems, matter of fact the card I put in this motherboard was Nvidia (PCI) and caused a conflict with the PCI bus. Plugged in a borrowed ATI PCI card and no problems.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Motherboards PCI Express Graphics