How to set BIOS after power loss

eugeneg

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
I have a Windows 98 tower PC that has just had the BIOS battery replaced. Now it won't boot as it say's there is no disk with Windows.
I do not know the geometry of the disk (although I could take it out and read the label) nor the partition structure.
I suppose I could find a disk editor and look at the contents of the first block, but I wouldn't know what to look for.
How can I find out the settings that need to be changed in the BIOS please ?

eugeneg

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
HDD is 1st on the list. I can boot from a CD but I think I need to enter to the BIOS details of the location on the HDD that Windows boot sector or MBR resides. I'm kinda out of my depth here.

eugeneg

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Oh yes it's there. The problem (I think) is that when the battery was removed all the BIOS settings reverted to the default, so although the disk is seen, the boot information is not in the place the BIOS thinks it should be.

Maybe you should try creating on some other PC a ISO boot drive with mini XP (google that) or Hiren's boot (I don't know a W98 version, only XP) and try to fix the issue in the registry. Anyway if this works you should be able to save all your stuff and be able to reinstall.

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Also take your HDD to some other PC and save your stuff.

eugeneg

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Problem solved. I read the label on the HDD and got the cylinders, heads, sectors etc. based on the jumper position then put that in the BIOS. Booted up nicely.