Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD build MOBO pick - narrowed down to two options

Last response: in Systems
September 3, 2010 4:07:14 PM

I have my MOBO narrowed down to these two choices to go with my new build.

MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

A few notes regarding my build

I want it to go along with AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

and my GPU as GIGABYTE GV-R585OC-1GD Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ ATI Eyefinity

I plan on upgrading later, more RAM i'm sure, and Crossfire. In regards to Crossfire I'd also like a little input on the 5850 selected, as I know there are many versions of it.

Thanks for your knowledge and opinions.

September 3, 2010 4:37:55 PM

Quote:
ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131644

Asus beats MSI hands down every-time.
As for the video XFX would be my first choice.

Thanks for the input, but would you mind elaborating a little on your recommendations? The Asus does seem like a better board... but as far as the 5850 goes there are 17 choices.

Here's a link to the search results for all the 5850's:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

m
l
September 3, 2010 5:03:05 PM

I'd like to know the reason for a $200 AMD Mobo. If you want 16/16 XFire, SATA III, USB 3, eSATA 3, you can get that all for $100. Are you looking for something more? If so, what is it?
m
l
Related resources
September 3, 2010 5:09:43 PM

calguyhunk said:
I'd like to know the reason for a $200 AMD Mobo. If you want 16/16 XFire, SATA III, USB 3, eSATA 3, you can get that all for $100. Are you looking for something more? If so, what is it?

This is why I'm on the forums, my friend. Care to make a recommendation?
m
l
September 3, 2010 5:18:05 PM

calguyhunk said:

What mobo has all of this for 100? that's exactly what i am looking for with pretty much the same build.
m
l
September 3, 2010 5:58:27 PM

calguyhunk said:
Mobo with USB 3.0, SATA III, eSATA III, future proof, 8/8 (if not 16/16) XFire - $90 - ASRock 870 EXTREME3

Here is my concern: This mobo has 2 pciE 2.0 slots. However, I understand that most 5850s take up 2 slots b/c of their size. Would this not inhibit me from doing Crossfire on the mobo?

edit: I have since learned that these slots are typically spaced apart enough for this not to be an issue.
m
l
September 3, 2010 7:51:56 PM

calguyhunk said:
Mobo with USB 3.0, SATA III, eSATA III, future proof, 8/8 (if not 16/16) XFire - $90 - ASRock 870 EXTREME3

Not to say you're giving bad advice, but does anyone else have any opinions on this board?
It certainly is cheaper than my last choice... what am I really losing?
m
l
September 3, 2010 7:59:02 PM

Just the brandname and x16/x16, neither of which should concern you toooo much. There is some performance loss going to x8/x8, but probably not with the 5850. XFX has a pretty solid record with video cards, and more importantly, a good record with customer service and warranties.
m
l
September 4, 2010 2:34:56 AM

muckle said:
Not to say you're giving bad advice, but does anyone else have any opinions on this board?
It certainly is cheaper than my last choice... what am I really losing?

Well the reality is it was bad advice. You are losing a name brand.. ASRock is.. junk. I know ill get flamed for saying that, but its true. If you ever buy a motherboard get an ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte or EVGA. That. Is. It.
m
l
September 4, 2010 6:46:37 AM

Mr Pizza said:
Well the reality is it was bad advice. You are losing a name brand.. ASRock is.. junk. I know ill get flamed for saying that, but its true. If you ever buy a motherboard get an ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte or EVGA. That. Is. It.
Point 1. Asrock has been the value-for-money division of Asus. It was never junk. Please don't comment on things you don't know nothing 'bout.

Point 2. Please read the Newegg reviews before making such absurd comments. This is the second time this week, that Newegg has a "sold out" tag on this board. It's selling like hot cakes. I'll be surprised if they didn't increase the price once they re-stock this board.

@ Mucle

If only Asus will do, this is the best choice, IMO - ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 - more expensive though.
m
l
September 4, 2010 4:00:12 PM

calguyhunk said:
Point 1. Asrock has been the value-for-money division of Asus. It was never junk. Please don't comment on things you don't know nothing 'bout.

Point 2. Please read the Newegg reviews before making such absurd comments. This is the second time this week, that Newegg has a "sold out" tag on this board. It's selling like hot cakes. I'll be surprised if they didn't increase the price once they re-stock this board.

@ Mucle

If only Asus will do, this is the best choice, IMO - ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 - more expensive though.

Blah blah blah, ASRock just isn't gonna do it. And its a way worse chipset.... 890fx vs 870... hmm and you get better quality with asus, msi, gigabyte, evga
m
l
September 4, 2010 4:05:19 PM

Asrock uses the same quality components on their mobos that ASUS does.

890 vs 870 doesn't matter much for a single GPU setup. Even for dual GPU it doesn't really matter.
m
l
September 4, 2010 4:06:47 PM

sp12 said:
Asrock uses the same quality components on their mobos that ASUS does.

890 vs 870 doesn't matter much for a single GPU setup. Even for dual GPU it doesn't really matter.

Go with the mother company.
m
l

Best solution

September 4, 2010 4:23:49 PM

@ Mr Pizza

You should have a serious chat with batuchka, who keeps recommending Biostar to everybody.

@ Mucle

I know what I'm talking about. Here are the reviews -

"The ASRock 870 Extreme3 is a very feature packed board and run extremely well in all tests. " - techxplosion.net

"We liked the ASRock 870 Extreme3. It is fast, clean, easy to use....We think that this board could be one of the best AMD based motherboards in terms of bang for the buck that we have tested." - tweaktown.com

I've nothing more to say. Period.
September 4, 2010 4:30:48 PM

Best answer selected by muckle.
m
l
September 4, 2010 4:33:04 PM

calguyhunk said:
@ Mr Pizza

You should have a serious chat with batuchka, who keeps recommending Biostar to everybody.

@ Mucle

I know what I'm talking about. Here are the reviews -

"The ASRock 870 Extreme3 is a very feature packed board and run extremely well in all tests. " - techxplosion.net

"We liked the ASRock 870 Extreme3. It is fast, clean, easy to use....We think that this board could be one of the best AMD based motherboards in terms of bang for the buck that we have tested." - tweaktown.com

I've nothing more to say. Period.

Makes a good case, and backs it up. This, combined with actual buyer reviews and this looks like a solid board for a price you can't beat
m
l
September 4, 2010 4:33:14 PM

Haha, oh i know babushka and his biostar stuff :p  yeah, well its a bad choice. I know what I'm talking about. And mukle will just have to see how its worse. End.
m
l
September 4, 2010 4:44:41 PM

Thanks Muckle, I appreciate that. Sorry for mis-spelling your name on more than one occasion though :p 
m
l
September 4, 2010 4:55:52 PM

No prob. And Pizza, even if you are right, you give us no reason to believe you other than you say 'it's better'. Show us some friggin proof.

Now I just need to figure out if the build would be better if i switched out the mobo and proc to an i5 setup. for *gaming*!
m
l
September 4, 2010 5:08:09 PM

An i5 will annihilate an AMD processor any given day, but affordability is an issue. If you can afford it, Absolutely go for it. No questions asked.

i5 750 vs 965 - Scroll down to the bottom to see the gaming benchmarks. Mind you, this is only the 750 & not the 760! - anandtech.com.

CPU : Core i5-760

Mobo : ASUS P7P55D-E
m
l
September 4, 2010 5:27:35 PM

Ok leaving everything the same from the build I originally listed @ the top, I could sub out the case+proc combo and the mobo and really be around the same price.

i5 750 and rosewilll case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

and as for the mobo either

BIOSTAR T5 XE CFX-SLI LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

or ASUS P7P55D-E LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

remember, best gaming performance and crossfire.
m
l
September 4, 2010 5:59:47 PM

Go with the 760. Costs just $15 more. See if you can get a nice combo maybe with some RAM/Mobo. Good inexpensive case though.

No Biostar at this price point please. At <$50, they're ok, I suppose. But you can't compare Asus to Biostar at $140. Spend the $15 extra. Also the Biostar doesn't support 1600 Mhz RAM off the box w/o OC. Why get expensive RAM just to have it downgraded?
m
l
!