cannot authenticate passwords

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

On my new Win XP pro system, I cannot authenticate OE pop mail password,
which I know is correct. Same problem in Thunderbird email client.
Could there be a corrupted password file or am I lacking some XP
privileges?
Thanks, CMA
5 answers Last reply
More about cannot authenticate passwords
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    You need to contact your Internet Service Provider for assistance
    with email password issues.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "cmar" wrote:

    | On my new Win XP pro system, I cannot authenticate OE pop mail password,
    | which I know is correct. Same problem in Thunderbird email client.
    | Could there be a corrupted password file or am I lacking some XP
    | privileges?
    | Thanks, CMA
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Password was correct. It is a Win XP problem. We know that.
    Thanks, CMA

    > You need to contact your Internet Service Provider for assistance
    > with email password issues.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "cmar" wrote:
    >
    > | On my new Win XP pro system, I cannot authenticate OE pop mail password,
    > | which I know is correct. Same problem in Thunderbird email client.
    > | Could there be a corrupted password file or am I lacking some XP
    > | privileges?
    > | Thanks, CMA

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Check position of capslock key. Also check that you are using the correct
    name and format for the username. Carey's correct in that this is not an XP
    issue, it's and authentication one. Privileges have naught to do with this,
    nor does a "corrupt password file" (if you're typing it in, then it's not a
    file on the system). Either the user name or the password is incorrect or in
    the wrong format.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "cmar" <cma16@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Password was correct. It is a Win XP problem. We know that.
    > Thanks, CMA

    >> You need to contact your Internet Service Provider for assistance
    >> with email password issues.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    >> "cmar" wrote:
    >>
    >> | On my new Win XP pro system, I cannot authenticate OE pop mail
    >> password,
    >> | which I know is correct. Same problem in Thunderbird email client.
    >> | Could there be a corrupted password file or am I lacking some XP
    >> | privileges?
    >> | Thanks, CMA

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, cmar had this to say:

    > On my new Win XP pro system, I cannot authenticate OE pop mail password,
    > which I know is correct. Same problem in Thunderbird email client.
    > Could there be a corrupted password file or am I lacking some XP
    > privileges?
    > Thanks, CMA

    If it's happening using both OE and Thunderbird and you're sure the
    username/password pair are correct, then it's probably a problem on your
    ISP's end. Contact them to fix it. Does your ISP also offer web access to
    your email account? If so, try that and see whether you can get to your
    mail.

    --
    Still running XP (The Toy Operating System eXPerience)?
    Kiddies, don't forget to defrag your hard drive & update your virus

    Thunderbird DOES not use a common password file with OE. Problem is most
    likely @ ISP or your configuration of the pop access is not correct.

    "NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message
    > After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, cmar had this to say:
    >
    >> On my new Win XP pro system, I cannot authenticate OE pop mail password,
    >> which I know is correct. Same problem in Thunderbird email client.
    >> Could there be a corrupted password file or am I lacking some XP
    >> privileges?
    >> Thanks, CMA
    >
    > If it's happening using both OE and Thunderbird and you're sure the
    > username/password pair are correct, then it's probably a problem on your
    > ISP's end. Contact them to fix it. Does your ISP also offer web access to
    > your email account? If so, try that and see whether you can get to your
    > mail.
    >
    > --
    > Still running XP (The Toy Operating System eXPerience)?
    > Kiddies, don't forget to defrag your hard drive & update your virus
    > definitions.
    > And NEVER connect to the Internet!

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP