unkie5

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Hello,

I have a formatted hd with the win 7 disk in the cdrom. When I turn computer on, the usual comes up on screen and I press a keyboard key to load win 7. All good to this point. It barely starts reading the cdrom disk (and you can see the files being loaded onscreen), then the computer shuts down.

Here is more info on my problem: I had win 7 installed prior to this happening. I was using the computor and it just shut down. Oh yes, I forgot to mention that when it shuts down, it makes no noises. I thought it may be a virus but after trying various "fixes" I decided to reload windows 7. That's when I get what I wrote on my initial question. I have tried different hard drives and cdroms, but to no avail. Now I'm thinking this could be a hardware problem. When I turn the computer on, the fans are running until it shuts down, but I'm thinking it's a heat problem because the running time decreases each time I restart the computer (hope this makes sense). So....I'm thinking power supply, motherboard, memory, or the intel i3 processor. I'm using the Gigabyte N6505LI-DS4L motherboard (the sub-category didn't have Gigabyte as an option).

paulroberts404

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
I think you're right about it being a heat issue,
I can't be certain but this sounds like something i've seen a
couple of times. The PC would boot up and work fine for
a while, then die for no reason, and wouldn't come back on
straight away after. One of them turned out to be loads of
dust clogging up the heatsink on the CPU and the other
the CPU fan was actually unplugged from the motherboard.