November 25, 2010 3:34:56 PM

So here are my specs:

C2D E6600@2.4Ghz
Asus P5B Mobo
4GB DDR2 RAM
HIS 4870 512MB
500GB HDD
OCZ 500W PSU

Now, more and more PC games are needing a quad core to run properly. So what are my options? Is it a good idea to upgrade or should I wait? From what I've seen, I'd want to go with AMD, seeing as intel is going to abandon the socket for i3/i5/i7 I believe. What a joke IMO. It just came out!!! Sorry, just had to get that out. So, what do you guys think?

More about : time cpu upgrade

a b à CPUs
November 25, 2010 4:26:41 PM

Well, I don't really play all the latest games on max, so I think I can stick with my gpu for a while. What new sockets are coming out next year? I don't keep exactly up to date on this stuff, so if you guys could tell me that would be great. If there is new stuff next tear, perhaps I will just wait. All I really play is WoW, America's Army 3, and I plan on picking up Crysis 2. Spending $150 on a C2Q alone seems kind of stupid when I could get this for around the same price - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... How are AMD's 6 core CPU's? Are they worth investing in, seeing as they seem pretty future proof?
Score
Related resources
a c 471 à CPUs
November 25, 2010 4:29:17 PM

Do you feel newer games are running slower?

As suggested above, the C2Q Q8300 / Q8400 is a good alternative if you do not wish to spend a lot of money. You might want to do a little more research since the BIOS upgrade is still beta.

Since most games are still limited by the video card, upgrading that will give you better performance. Don't forget that you can also overclock your CPU.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2010 4:37:10 PM

But for the same price as a C2Q, I can get a Quad Core from AMD that isn't a generation behind, and a Mobo that supports DDR3. As upgrading my gpu, I thought that I should upgrade my CPU first seeing as it is a bottleneck right now. Isn't the 4870 still a very powerful card? It may not have all the features of the current gen ones, but I don't care about that, only performance. It should only be one generation old, but instead of releasing a new gen of cards every 2 years, AMD and Nvidia did it in one...And I know really nothing about OC a CPU, I'm afraid I will do harm to my system, make it unstable, or make the temps to high(my CPU temps are already high 40's per core under load).
Score
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2010 4:40:45 PM

You might be able to find a decent 775 quad core on craigslist/ebay. Your mobo should be able to use almost any 775 CPU w/ a BIOS update.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

Whatever you do don't go to current AMD. Yes, AM3 boards have a possibility of supporting some Bulldozer CPUs, but it is a LATERAL (IMO a downgrade) move from your current mobo's CPU capabilities to an AM3 boards current CPUs.

Also, your CPU shouldn't be bottlenecking a 4870 much, that card isn't as tough as you think. :)  It's 2 gens old now! Especially the 512MB version.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2010 4:46:07 PM

Don't be scared of overclocking, especially if you are looking to a new system.

It is only unstable with bad settings, you can fix that easily with a CMOS clear, which sets your BIOS back to normal, no more instability.

As for temps, 40c is pretty low and should leave you some headroom. You can get up to mid 60s safely (says intel).

Overclocking can give you a good 30% more performance out of that CPU, may as well try it out. :)  Its a good learning process about how your CPU/chipset work together and whatnot.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2010 8:37:07 PM

Well, about what time next year are Sandybridge and Bulldozer expected to release? I'm thinking this looks like a good option for me - OC my cpu(how high could I get do you guys think? Is 3Ghz possible?), and make my current system last until the new cpu's come out. Then perhaps I will buy a whole new system, seeing as almost everythin in my pc will be due for an upgrade(ddr2 ram, 2-gen old gpu, 2-gen old cpu thats only dual core, old mobo, etc). Then maybe I will just sell this system on craigslist for a few hundred, and with that and cash I have saved get a new system/build one. I'm realizing that buying a new CPU now isn't that necessary when a whole new line comes out next year.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 12:34:40 AM

I would say 3ghz is definitely possible with a little voltage bump. Definitely try it to see if it satisfies you, before upgrading. :) 
Score
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 2:33:45 AM

I'm a total noob at OC. How exactly do I go about doing it, is there a program out there, or do you have to go into the bios and change settings?
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 6:32:43 AM

It is BIOS settings.

Give this ("Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad Overclocking Guide") a read so you know what is going on and you'll be on your way. It is pretty thorough so don't get intimidated. It is VERY easy to get a moderate overclock once you get the jist of things.

Take a stroll over to the Overclocking Section if you have any questions.
a c 79 à CPUs
November 26, 2010 4:17:27 PM

if its a std p5b and not a p5b dl then oc is probably not going to be an option.
Score
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2011 8:34:39 PM

Best answer selected by trogdor796.
Score
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2011 9:12:54 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!