Sound is not working :/

cpark90

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
hello, I very recently finished building my PC and everything is working great... except the sound. I checked the device manager and under sound it says ATI high definition audio device and Realtek high definition audio are both working fine. I've tried a few quick fixes, like updating and stuff but nothing seems to work. Any advice/suggestions?

The ATI driver you mentioned is for the HDMI only. The realtek is for analog and possibly optical/coax.

Are you trying to use the analog ports? (they look like 1/8" headphone jacks)

If so, there is a second audio chip that will require a driver to be installed to use (which it looks like you do) and you also need to go into the Windows sound properties in Control Panel and select which audio out device you are using.

My guess is that you're trying to use analog, but you have the OS set to output over HDMI or digital.

This sounds, no pun intended, like your onboard audio is defective (dead on arrival). Check the mobo website for any BIOS updates that address the sound concern you're experiencing. If you don't find any, then you could either RMA the mobo or install a sound card.