Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD/HDD help!

Last response: in Storage
December 11, 2012 10:18:08 AM

Hi Tom's and good peoples!!!

My 120gb SSD is running low now..i have like 5gb free space on it, and i am experiencing a slow booting now. ( not too slow but slower than before when it had 50gb free space ) please help.
my SSD has :

Windows 7 64bit ultimate
AutoCad 2013
Autocad Inventor Fusion 2013
League of Legends
DOTA 2
Diablo 3
Left for Dead 1&2
Steam
Photomatrix ( HDR photo editing software )
DVDvideosoft

I also have a 1tb HDD with 2 partition, 1 for a copy of what i have on my SSD. and the other one is for my library (music,files,videos etc. )

please help me what's the best thing to do... thank you!!

More about : ssd hdd

a c 79 G Storage
December 11, 2012 12:55:57 PM

You must have a heck of a lot of stuff on the SSD besides Windows & applications to use up almost 120GB of space on it. Your cheapest option is to replace it with a 500GB or 1TB HDD because a 500GB SSD is way too expensive at the moment.

I don't save any of my data on the system drive, it's all saved to a trio of external drives (all containing same data).
That stops my system drive from filling up rapidly.
m
l
a c 155 G Storage
December 11, 2012 1:21:54 PM

You can move the games that do not need the extra speed to the hard drive.

I find it easy to fill a 120 gigabyte SSD when you have some games installed.

If you do not want to reinstall games, You can use something like mklink or Junction Link Magic to make it look like the games are still on the SSD when they are on the hard drive.

Rather easy.

-Copy game(its full folder) to hard drive (d:\games)
-Empty folder on SSD
-Use Junction Link Magic to create a link from the now empty game folder to its folder on the hard drive.
-Done. The game will work just like before but is not on the hard drive.

http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm

Warning : Do NOT mess with junctions/links/mounting points that are already on the system, just move your games and be done with it.

You should also move your desktop(right click it in your library -> Properties -> Location) to the hard drive if you have lots of crap filling it up.

Image to show the effect. While it looks like 3 copies of this game it is just on f: . Both Windows 8 and 7 see it within steams folder, but its not. In fact Windows 8's steam folder is on the Windows 7 drive the same way :) 
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 14, 2012 9:59:49 PM

phil22 said:
You must have a heck of a lot of stuff on the SSD besides Windows & applications to use up almost 120GB of space on it. Your cheapest option is to replace it with a 500GB or 1TB HDD because a 500GB SSD is way too expensive at the moment.

I don't save any of my data on the system drive, it's all saved to a trio of external drives (all containing same data).
That stops my system drive from filling up rapidly.

i do have lots of files,videos,photos on my HDD too, it's only 1TB though,
do you think it's time for me to buy 1 more 1TB HDD? if so?, should i reformat my SSD? or just straight moving the files?
i have one partition of my HDD with only OS and Autocad on it...

Thanks very much for help....
m
l
December 14, 2012 10:00:59 PM

nukemaster said:
You can move the games that do not need the extra speed to the hard drive.

I find it easy to fill a 120 gigabyte SSD when you have some games installed.

If you do not want to reinstall games, You can use something like mklink or Junction Link Magic to make it look like the games are still on the SSD when they are on the hard drive.

Rather easy.

-Copy game(its full folder) to hard drive (d:\games)
-Empty folder on SSD
-Use Junction Link Magic to create a link from the now empty game folder to its folder on the hard drive.
-Done. The game will work just like before but is not on the hard drive.

http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm

Warning : Do NOT mess with junctions/links/mounting points that are already on the system, just move your games and be done with it.

You should also move your desktop(right click it in your library -> Properties -> Location) to the hard drive if you have lots of crap filling it up.

Image to show the effect. While it looks like 3 copies of this game it is just on f: . Both Windows 8 and 7 see it within steams folder, but its not. In fact Windows 8's steam folder is on the Windows 7 drive the same way :) 
http://imageshack.us/a/img20/1989/junction.png

It looks confusing, but i'll try it..

thank you!
m
l
a c 155 G Storage
December 14, 2012 10:30:22 PM

If you are unsure, Ask. Even if I have to do a step by step for it with images(or a video), it is better then making a mistake.
m
l
December 15, 2012 8:51:29 AM

nukemaster said:
If you are unsure, Ask. Even if I have to do a step by step for it with images(or a video), it is better then making a mistake.

Hi thanks for that, but i have one more question, i bought a WD caviar black 1TB 64mb cache 7200 RPM after i posted this thread, because i might need it, now that i cloned everything from my 120gb SSD, and start uninstalling the others, i now have 50gb free space on my SSD and yes! it became faster again, but i want to access my other games too.. =(

How can i do that? without booting on my HDD?
( ex: i created my itunes on my HDD and put a shortcut to my SSD dekstop ) it never launch, same to my other games and application like photoshop and Sony vegas..

Please help!! thank you!!!
m
l
a c 155 G Storage
December 15, 2012 4:31:00 PM

It does not quite work that way.

When you install a program of game, it creates registry entries. When you uninstall it those are removed, even if the game/program is left on another system.

The idea ok using MKLINK to "move" a program does not involve ever uninstalling the program(this keeps any registry and other settings saved on the system), just redirecting the location(of the games folder only) on the c drive to another location on a different drive or partition.

I will try to come up with a more step by step with images for you, give me a bit.
m
l

Best solution

a c 155 G Storage
December 15, 2012 7:06:55 PM

Ok, this may be full or spelling mistakes but has images and fun stuff. see if this makes it any better. and please leave feedback for improvements.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/294557-32-quick-dirty...
December 21, 2012 9:24:39 PM

Best answer selected by shikiramaru.
m
l
!