New gaming with Fraps CPU

robtor

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Hi there,

I'm going to order some upgrades this weekend and thought I'd try get some last minute input on it. I mostly play games, a little video editing but that's it. The key thing about the games part though is that I am a WoW'er and I use fraps. Just because fraps loves eating up cpu resources I am planning to go for a 1090T, and maybe overclock it to about 3.8ghz, from what I see that should be easily doable.

The question is, because I want to use fraps while running games does this seem like the best solution? I know i7's have better performance in general and I could get the 950, but if fraps is using a lot of a core or 2 would i better having the six core amd jobbie, and reserving the last 2 cores for fraps? And no, the 980x is a no go. :p

robtor

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
When playing for example Starcraft 2, which utilises 4 cores, you think the i7 would still be be better even when said cores are juggling about the fraps workload, rather than having a 1090T and setting fraps affinity to only cores 5 + 6?

robtor

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Ah right the review I saw said SC2 benefits from more than 2, but that I assume is more about other windows related tasks being done elsewhere. As with the hard disks, I have 2 empty raid0 f3 disks purely for it, i'm pretty sure they wont get maxed out, infact I read that even 1 is plenty.

Anyway thanks for the advice, and what's with the aggression?

robtor

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Nah, we're a pretty well ranked WoW guild and our 10-15min boss videos can be anywhere from 300mb-1gb.

Currently when I use fraps on my dual core, I go down to 10-15fps and it's pretty unplayable, infact i've wiped us a bunch of times due to miss-targetting or similar. I just want to make a rig that can be as close to untouched by the running of fraps in the background, so much so that I can leave it running non-stop through a whole raid night.

I think the i7 950 setup is coming to about £80-£100 more, so that's what I'll probably order in the morning.