Solved

PCI with DX 11

I am giving in to upgrading my computer. My notebook dock has a PCI slot, so I can upgrade the video card. However, I would like a card that has DX 11, just in case it becomes the standard for the next 2 years or so.
(highend gaming will require a more than a PIV 2.6, but it is not my main concern for the moment)

There are cards with 1024MB DX10, but I cannot seem to find anything with DX 11. I would think that ATI would have such a model, but their website does not list anything.

Anyone have have any ideas - suggestions?
answers
Last reply
Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. i believe all the dx 11 cards are PCIe
  2. Best answer
    The best PCI card can barely handle DX10 games, and ATI probably wont make HD5000 card for PCI.

Does your notebook have a Express-card slot? There are adapters that let you connect a external GPU via Expresscard (which is just a PCIe X1 slot I believe.)
  3. No point really in upgrading...Just get a whole new comp. PCI is basically useless in terms of graphics now.
  4. Best answer selected by blockedhead.
  5. I think that upgrades are to avoid getting a whole new system. A 50$ card may just broaden the games or apps i can use. Mind you is probably not much more than what I could sell this system for.

I am not sure that I should be surprised, but this 8 year old IBM is still quite modular -even has a PCMCIA eSATA card, quick removable optical drives for less weight... The dock seemed a waste at first, but each time that I would have to connect and reconnect the USB hub(keyb mouse, BT), VGA, power etc, it would be hassle.
  6. Is it a vintage thinkpad? Throw it on ebay and theres should be quite a market.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PCI Graphics