NVIDIA NVS 3100M vs Intel HDGraphics

keemosabi

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
So I'm looking to buy a Dell Latitude E6510 with an FHD 1920 x 1080 Wide View LED screen. I'm wondering which video in the title is better. The Dell website claims that the NVIDIA NVS 3100M is better than the Intel HDGraphics. What is the truth? If both suck, can I upgrade to a better video card? Thank you in advance.

Timop

Distinguished
The NVS 3100M is better GPU, literally a repackaged Nvidia 310M with slightly lower clocks and better drivers.

Both cant handle even moderate 3D gaming though, so if you're looking for something to play modern games, you'll need something much better.

keemosabi

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010

If I bought one of those with the laptop, would it be possible for me to manually upgrade the card?

keemosabi

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010

Why is that? How come I couldn't buy one on like newegg and just install it myself?

Timop

Distinguished

Even if your GPU is upgradable, laptops uses a different form-factor for its GPUs called MXM, and its rarely sold in retail.

dashion

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

Laptops, unlike desktops, usually have fully integrated components. This is because unlike desktops they are portable and need to be more efficient and less prone to travel damage. To fix this most of the "peripheral" components inside a laptop are soldered onto the actual board. This prevents the internal components from becoming unseated (disconnected) during use. Laptops also use a different architecture as the person above mentioned (form factor) because they need to have more bang for the size a different standard has been made. Not to mention each company kind of privatizes "their" laptops, this means unlike desktops there isn't really a standard across the boards for laptops. Some things may fit into one that would not fit into another. So if you want a better GPU then odds are you will be purchasing a new motherboard and having it installed. Would be better off buying a laptop that does exactly what you want it to do from the get go.