Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CAD station

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 25, 2010 7:03:16 PM

I'm about to buy a new CAD station and I've 2 offers left that are whitin my budget.
Any suggestions which one is the best deal?

1st offer

Prosessor
Intel Core i5 760 2.8GHz

Mother board
GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3

HDD
Samsung HD103SJ 1TB 7200rpm 32MB

Powersupp
Corsair 500W 12CM ATX12V2.2 80+

Body
Cooler Master Sileo 500 silent case

DVD
LG DVD-/+RW GH22NS50RBBB / 22x/ SecureDisc

Video
Nvidia Quadro 600 1GB GDDR3 DVI+DP

Windows
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

RAM
2x2GB Kingston 1600MHz



2nd offer


Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz/8MB/4.8GT/sec/Box/Bloomfield/ Nehalem platform
APACER 2GB PC10600 DDR3 1333MHz CL9 AU02GFA33C9NBGC -3 piece-
SAMSUNG SH-S223C/BEBE DVD-RW/ 22x DVD+R/ SATA/ Black/ Bare type -
Xigmatek Asgard Midi Tower ATX Black body, 120mm FAN inside.
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R / X58+ICH10R / BUS 2000/1600/1333/1066/800 / 3 Channel DDR 3 / Gra
WD CAVIAR BLACK 1TB SATA3 7200RPM 64MB
Silver Power SS750 750W Modular 80+ Silver, 120mm small ventilaator, sleve cables
MSI GTX460 CYCLONE PCIE 1GB 2XDVI/HDMI OC
Microsoft FQC-00765 Windows 7 Professional 64-bit English OEM

More about : cad station

November 25, 2010 7:29:02 PM

Hmmm....second one has 4 extra (logical) cores thanks to hyperthreading and also triple channel memory. The 3D / rendering / design benches normally run better on this type of high core, triple channel setup. But the graphics card is a gaming card!

You would be better with a quaddro dedicated design card.

The first rig is great also (i have a core i5 760, extremely fast)

If they are both the same price, I would get the second one, everything in this build seems bigger and better
Related resources
November 25, 2010 7:56:51 PM

lmartinefc said:
Hmmm....second one has 4 extra (logical) cores thanks to hyperthreading and also triple channel memory. The 3D / rendering / design benches normally run better on this type of high core, triple channel setup. But the graphics card is a gaming card!

You would be better with a quaddro dedicated design card.

The first rig is great also (i have a core i5 760, extremely fast)

If they are both the same price, I would get the second one, everything in this build seems bigger and better




Thanks for the quick reply :p 
Would the second configuration become better if it had the videocard of the first set up?
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2010 8:02:23 PM

Quadro cards are designed for workstations rather than mainstream use and gaming. They're used for faster digital content creation and CAD (computer aided design) applications where more power is required from the GPU rather than the CPU for image processing.
So in actual fact yes..

November 25, 2010 8:58:02 PM

looking around on the net , I found much more people giving good reviews about ATI than NVIDIA...
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2010 9:12:11 PM

choosing the best gpu is more about personal opinion..Recent years i must say ati has held a larger market however nowadays i do think nvidia with the new fermi architecture is the place to be..However you must understand that choosing gpu brand is a matter of personal opinion.
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2010 9:13:35 PM

What's the budget?
a c 81 à CPUs
November 26, 2010 1:28:09 AM

Is that only 2GB ram on the second configuration.? That is seriously limiting.. I am not sure about the brand also.. IMO, don't opt for either of those setups.. Assemble your cash, choose every individual part yourself and build it..
November 26, 2010 4:55:33 AM

Emperus said:
Is that only 2GB ram on the second configuration.? That is seriously limiting.. I am not sure about the brand also.. IMO, don't opt for either of those setups.. Assemble your cash, choose every individual part yourself and build it..



no it has 3 of these 2GB sticks with still 3 slots open. Its an configuration that is meant to build, just that i'm not gonna do this myself :ouch:  the shop will do that for me
November 26, 2010 4:59:12 AM

mosox said:
What's the budget?


they both cost under 900 EUR, the second is more expensive with 20 EUR
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 5:24:43 AM

Please take the second as what you are doing is also very cpu oriented.However i would suggest that you take the Nvidia Quadro if you have the money to.But 1st is also a good choice
November 26, 2010 5:47:28 AM

ghnader hsmithot said:
Please take the second as what you are doing is also very cpu oriented.However i would suggest that you take the Nvidia Quadro if you have the money to.But 1st is also a good choice


Thanks for the advice! I already asked a new offer from the second seller with a NVIDIA GPU
November 29, 2010 3:03:21 PM

I have worked in the CAD field for ages and the biggest factor affecting performance isn't necessarily the system you work on but the software you use. Both those systems you listed are great, however regardless of which one you choose it will run slower with Solidworks than with, say, Alibre.

My advice would be (if at all possible) to spend money on a CAD package that isn't all too resource-hungry.
!