Sign in with
Your question

Help me decide, E4300 or E3400?

Last response: in CPUs
November 25, 2010 9:12:39 PM

Hi guys, I need some replies quick.

Someone is selling a Core 2 Duo E4300 for $55 including the fan + free shipping.

The E4300 is a great overclocker, it has received many high reviews and I wanted one of these a long time ago.

However, at $55 i'm not sure if that's cheap or not. Because a brand new Intel Celeron Dual Core E3400 is priced at $68, but not including the GST or free shipping.

But that's only like what, $20 more than the E4300, so maybe I should just buy it?

As far as I know, the E3400 seemed to be a lot better but i'm unsure. All I know is that the E3400 is a 45nm, whereas the E4300 is a 65nm. The E4300 has a lower multiplier of 9, and stock 1.8Ghz. Whereas the E3400 has a multiplier of 13 and stock 2.6Ghz.

However, the E4300 has 2MB of cache compared to E3400's 1MB of cache, which is quite important in terms of applications and gaming.

My main use will be for my HTPC, for work purposes mostly (99% of the time). I'm an UNI student and tend to have large projects and assignments so I need something that can run cool and most importantly, energy efficient. I want something that consumes less power and doesn't eat up electricity like crazy and me end up paying an expensive electricity bill.

However, I sometimes use my HTPC for light gaming as well, and like to overclock as well as undervolt & underclock for fun. I'll be mainly undervolting & underclocking to save even more power when i'm using super low usage.

I'm pretty sure the E3400 is the choice since it's 45nm so runs cooler and faster, but i'm not entirely certain.

Also, I couldn't find any info on the E3400, I couldn't find out how much it overclocks or how good the chip is, whereas the E4300 everyone just loves it and praised it. Which is why i don't have a lot of info on this to make a decision....

Any advice on this? Thanks.

More about : decide e4300 e3400

November 25, 2010 9:19:43 PM

Are you thinking about overclocking this CPU, if you are i would go with the E3400 because of the lower DIE size.
m
l
November 25, 2010 9:46:51 PM

Ya i believe i mentioned that i'll be overclocking it.......

but i need more infos on this, anyone else?
m
l
Related resources
November 25, 2010 10:17:09 PM

i don't live in the US so the prices aren't in USD. And i don't plan on ordering it since the shipping will cost way more, and i have to convert the currency from USD to NZD which isn't worth it.

I should've been more specific, I live in NZ so the currency is in NZD, so please don't link me any websites.

And yes I have the motherboard, but please just give me a deep analysis on the CPUs which i asked about.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2010 10:48:55 PM

The celeron will give you better performance being 800MHz faster, but there is no telling if or how well you will be able to OC it from there, and celerons are the bargain CPU's from Intel so there made at lower standards than the top chips are.

One benefit of the e4300 is 1m more of cache, also how good of an OC'er is the E4300?

And with power both these chips are 65w rated, so really your looking at the price of running 3-4 regular light bulbs for your PC tops.
m
l
November 25, 2010 11:04:04 PM

well i know for certain that the E4300 is a great overclocker, people can get a 90~100% overclock on it pretty easily. It's received many high reviews and praises, and was one of the best bang for buck CPUs in 2007.

I couldn't find anything at all on the E3400 though, no reviews on it, no one overclocked it (or at least no topics could be found about it), no benchmark results at all whatsoever.

I thought 65W is the equivalent of one lightbulb??

And how much does it take to run 3-4 light bulbs, like a rough figure?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 12:49:25 AM

If you can get double the power out of the E4300 thats pretty dang good and will be the better choice, the only think is getting a chip that can do that is also up to the luck of the draw, is that with a certain motherboard or any OC capable one? One thing is for sure, your going to want a nice cooler to go with it.

The reason there is no OC info on the E3400 is most likely just because its a Celeron and nobody will buy one if they are intending on trying an OC on it, only the people that have that CPU already would be the ones that would OC it.

When I said 3-4 regular light bulbs, I meant that will be what your whole PC will use while running not just the CPU, 60w is a standard incandescent bulb around here.
m
l
November 26, 2010 12:53:53 AM

If you look up on Google or any popular overclocking forums, you'll find that the E4300 is one of the best OC chips around, also one of the best bang for buck chips even now. It OCs to 3.2Ghz easily at stock voltage, and when undervolted it can go up to 2.8Ghz, that's at least a 80% overclock.

There're no special editions or special motherboard or other requirements, the chip itself just OCs really well.

And there's no info on the *E3400, not E4300 :p 

I'm almost definitely going with the E4300 coz i've done my research on it and it's a great chip overall. I'm just not sure how good the Celeron is since it's newer (released January 2010) with the 45nm. Power consumption, heat & energy efficiency is a big issue for me. Overclocking is secondary as of now since my main purpose is to use it for work purposes......
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 1:27:29 AM

Quote:

Sorry, I got my 4300's and 3400's mixed up :pt1cable: 

Quote:
I'm almost definitely going with the E4300 coz i've done my research on it and it's a great chip overall.

I think that is a good choice also.

Quote:
I'm just not sure how good the Celeron is since it's newer (released January 2010) with the 45nm.

I really couldn't say if the 45nm vs 65nm will make much of a difference in this case, smaller processes usually lower power requirements and improve efficiency. I found this nice site you may want to check out though: http://www.behardware.com/articles/652-2/intel-core-2-d...

Quote:
Power consumption, heat & energy efficiency is a big issue for me. Overclocking is secondary as of now since my main purpose is to use it for work purposes.
If the E4300 can be OC'd that well on the stock voltages it shouldn't add too much heat to it at all, your OC might make it draw a little more power, but I wouldn't think enough to make a really noticeable difference. Your still going to be in the ~300w or less range without a GPU.

You can use this PSU Calc: http://www.antec.outervision.com/ , to get a rough idea, and if you plug in your OC voltages it can factor that in as well.
m
l
November 26, 2010 1:31:42 AM

ya already read that review site lol.

Well let's compare the popular 45nm ones like the E8400 or E8500, are they that much better than the 65nm in terms of power consumption and energy efficiency?

And thanks, i'll give the antec site a try. I just wish i know someone who has both of those so i can test them out and see how they work instead of relying on searching on websites.......

I'll be getting a Kill-A-Watt similar type of watt meter to monitor my usage once I get my E4300, and see how energy efficient it is.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 2:20:07 AM

:)  I wouldn't know much about 65nm or 45nm chips without searching for info, I am still running on a P4 3.4GHz, so anything I know about newer stuff, I have to look up and do research on it. And from what little I just did, its going to be really hard to make a comparison like that from chips that are so far apart from each other without having first hand knowledge or experience with them, unless you just get luck to find a site covering something like that.

I don't think that you should be worried about power its not going to be terribly high or anything unreasonable.

Yeah, I know what you mean about relying on websites and other peoples words, but thats really all we can do, unless you can go out and buy everything and give it a try.

I am waiting on the day to get a Kill-A-Watt, I have been eying them for over a year and the cost ~$20 here, but I have seen them as low as $15, so I want to get a good deal on one. From what I have read the Kill-A-Watt P4400 is the best for the price.
m
l
November 26, 2010 3:16:49 AM

LOL same, i'm running on a P4 3.4Ghz AS WELL. U don't happen to be using the Pentium 4 550 3.4Ghz Prescott do u?

It uses up like 115W, and mine runs average 35~52C, maximum on load is 52C when i play games or benchmark. Not overclocked either. It's a piece of crap compare to the low end chips these days......

Yes, i know the power consumption of the chips these days aren't that high, at least compare to the Pentium they're A LOT better. I know my chips well too, especially the mid to high end ones. But i'm trying to compare the 2 to see which one is better since i'm aiming for something that can run super low.

I read somewhere that there's this chip that uses about 5W only, and also chips that use 15~30W at max load. Unfortunately i couldn't find it, but that's the type of chip i'd like lol.

Our family uses electricity like crazy, normally people pay about $100~150 per month (in New Zealand dollars), but our family pays $230+. Which is y I need something that doesn't hog that much power....
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 4:14:17 AM

Im running a P4 650 3.4GHz OC'd 3.74GHz. Idle at 33c full stress test load 54c, with ~22c ambient. Unluckly my chip has the highest VID spec voltage that Intel would pass as Ok, so it takes alot of juice. Mines a 84w CPU not 115w.

5w chips are ones that are designed to do one specific function and are not like normal desktop CPU's, now some chips Intel has made work on 35w and are power saver chips, like the S(i5's) or T(SandyBridge) models.

The new SandyBridge Intel Core i5 2390T 2.7ghz and Intel Core i3 2100T 2.5ghz are 35w CPU's.

Like I have said your PC will not use alot of power with those chips, max ~300w and I bet its safe to say a good bit lower than that even. Solve your energy woes at the source. There are websites and just some easy math with the right info(how much per kw/hr), you can calculate how much it cost to run your PC for a years worth of use.

BTW, is that E4300 new? Here a new one is 125NZD.
m
l
November 26, 2010 7:05:44 AM

ya my PC isn't the source of the problem, i already know what the problem is but i'm just adjusting every electronic appliances in my house to be as energy efficient as possible.

Na the E4300 isn't new, i bought it for $55 including the fan + free shipping. Where did u find one?? Do u live in NZ too? I couldn't find a brand new one at all on trade websites specifically for New Zealanders.
m
l
November 26, 2010 8:16:03 AM

Based on what you post I recommend Core 2 Duo E4300 for $55, your a student and you want this to be a HTPC, you use this for school, must be energy efficient and some how you like to overclock (hope you can take mistakes) - That's a good learning tool.
m
l
November 26, 2010 8:27:34 AM

lol dw i'm a fairly decent overclocker, that's not the problem here.

I'm trying to analyze whether the celeron e3400's 45nm is really that much better than the e4300, which is a 65nm. In terms of energy efficiency and all that i just mentioned.

Everyone's telling me the same thing i already said and know......i need comparisons people!
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 5:13:30 PM

chaoscreater said:
Where did u find one?? Do u live in NZ too? I couldn't find a brand new one at all on trade websites specifically for New Zealanders.
I live in the US, and I found it online, I just adjusted the price to NZD for you.

Sorry, it seems I do not have the info your looking for. :( 
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2010 1:34:23 AM

^ That is a nice find, I have never seen anything covering that many chips before.
m
l
November 5, 2011 11:34:56 PM

chaoscreater said:
If you look up on Google or any popular overclocking forums, you'll find that the E4300 is one of the best OC chips around, also one of the best bang for buck chips even now. It OCs to 3.2Ghz easily at stock voltage, and when undervolted it can go up to 2.8Ghz, that's at least a 80% overclock.

There're no special editions or special motherboard or other requirements, the chip itself just OCs really well.

I'm almost definitely going with the E4300 coz i've done my research on it and it's a great chip overall. I'm just not sure how good the Celeron is since it's newer (released January 2010) with the 45nm. Power consumption, heat & energy efficiency is a big issue for me. Overclocking is secondary as of now since my main purpose is to use it for work purposes......

i have a e3400 its perfect for me i have it at 3.38 ghz not a glitch with it its great
m
l
!