Wireless N Strength Trend?

cyber_Bruno

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Hello all,
I've been looking around for a few days now for an upgrade to an old wireless adapter. I'm considering going with a wireless N adapter, but it seems one of the constant complaints I'm hearing across reviews (over many products) is that the signal strength is poor. I understand that there are a lot of factors that go into this (not listing them for the sake of brevity), but similarly I've seen cases where the reported distance/interference levels did not seem to warrant the signal strengths reported. Furthermore, it seems that in many cases wireless G seems to have a consistently good strength. This got me thinking of whether or not there may be some kinks still being worked out of the N implementations, and was wondering if anyone really knows anything that can shed some light on the idea. Thanks!

Solution
G
I think there are still compatibility issues between some brands on wireless n -- the solution obviously is to employ the same brand of router and wireless adapter. However, all wireless specs seem to be based on marketing smoke and mirrors, so your instinct to save and stick with g is probably logical.
G

I think there are still compatibility issues between some brands on wireless n -- the solution obviously is to employ the same brand of router and wireless adapter. However, all wireless specs seem to be based on marketing smoke and mirrors, so your instinct to save and stick with g is probably logical.

Solution