New build - ASUS P7D55E Pro, Intel SSD and Sata 6GS

interfaceman

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Hello,

I am building a new PC after 15 years of hirbernation. I fogot almost everything. So please bare with me. I use this PC for home use. some gaming, programming and other usage. I have bought following:

Core i5 760
Corsair XM3 4GB RAM
ASUS P7P55D-E PRO mobo
ASUS ENGT 240/D1/1GB RAM Video
Intel XM-25 M SSD
WD 1TB SATA 6G HDD
Thermaltake A6 case
Thermaltake 600W PS
NEC 23" LCD Display
----------------------------------------------------------
Sony DVD writer (IDE) I have from old system
HP CDROM (IDE) I have from old system

My questions are as follows:

1. I like to install Windows 7 and Other application on SSD Drive. How to configure SSD drive to get maximum performance ?
2. I like to install western difgital SATA 6 GB/s drive as storage of picture, movie and document. Which SATA port to select ? Is it in BIOS ?
3. How to install IDE CDROM and DVD writer ? What order and how ?
4. I have EX DVD Copier software. Will it run on Windows 7 64 bit configuration ?
5. Do I need to configure dual boot. SSD for Win 7 and SATA drive for Wn XP for application compatibility ?
6. How to configure for dual OS boot ?
7. Does ASUS board has any plug and play option ?

Is ther any step-by-step guide for new build. I will really appreciate your kind advice and comment.

Thank You.

tecmo34

Administrator
Here are two good threads for your build process help...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

1) As for some of your other questions, I would check out the "Storage" forum for the SSD sticky. It provides some useful links throughout the thread.

2) Your second hard drive (WD) is installed on any open SATA port on your motherboard. Typically, the SATA_0 port is used for your boot drive.

3) I would recommend dropping the IDE DVD drives to get SATA drives. Your system's cooling and cable management will be better without the bulk of IDE cables.

4) I don't know??

5) If you want to run a dual boot, I would do a dual boot with Win7 on SSD & XP on WD.

6) Just Google how to setup a dual boot system. There are plenty of "guides"

7) Yes

interfaceman

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

Thank you tecmo34. I really appreciate you taking time and guiding me through. I am waiting for case and power supply. They are on the way. I cannot wait to start. I will be reading all the articles and let you know how the build went.

Thank You,

interfaceman

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

Hi tecmo34,

Finally I got all th eparts and put it together last night. I was surprised to see it has minor glitches. I would appreciate if you can advice. Following are my problems:

1. When I connected SSD to SATA 1 in mobo and WD 6GB/s drive to SATA 6gb/s port. Systems does not recognize SSD, it only sees one drive. I then move WD 6GB/s drive to SATA 2 (3gb/s) port and now it sees both of them. Is there any issue with the ASUS board or controller ? Do I have to use SATA 6gb/s cable ? Any advice.

2. Aftter finding both drive on SATA1 and 2 by BIOS. I installed Windows 7. Now in Windows 7 I only see SSD drive, not my WD drive. Do I need to format the WD drive in order for me to see.

Besides that, this is my first windows 7 installtion and I really like the OS. Please let me know if you can help.

tecmo34

Administrator
Overall Question... Did you set the SATA controllers to AHCI (needed for SSD for TRIM support)? If not, follow the directions in this thread (best answer)... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/255232-32-next-move-fresh-install-windows-intel

1) So I understand this in my mind... You had the SSD in SATA_1 port and the WD in the SATA III port (don't know the port number) and it only sees the WD drive? Also, it shouldn't matter if they are connected to the motherboard by SATA III connectors, as it is backwards compatible. When you put both WD on SATA_2 port, you could see both drives now? Did you try and move the SSD to SATA_3 and the WD on the SATA III drive or different slots?

2) You will need to format the WD drive to see it in Windows.

interfaceman

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

-----------------------
No I did not. I will do that.

1. I have 6 sata II port and 2 sata III port. Initially I coonected SSD to Sata II and WD to SATA III. It did not work. When I changed both to SATA II it is working.

2. Can I format the WD drive using windows 7 disk manager utilities or do I have to use DOS command ?

Thank you for you rinput.

interfaceman

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

Sorry to buy you one more time. Formatting is done and now windows see 2 drive. Thank you.

I changed BIOS setup to AHCI and windows will not start anymore. I changed it back to IDE and Windows is working now. What is the best way to change from IDE to AHCI once Windows 7 is installed? I read couple of article and they are for different motherboard. Do you have any advice ?

interfaceman

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

Tecmo34

I really need your help. I installed 32 bit version earlier by mistake. Now I want to install 64 bit, but before that I tried to format c: drive my SSD and not been able to do that. When I use win 7 computer management tools to format my SSD. It does not allow me.

Looks like my SSD has two partiton. (Systems reserved 100MB NTFS and drive c: 74.5GB)

I triel to reinstall Win 7 again and it ran and installed on top of my old win7 32 and still 32 bit version. I do not have a floppy drive on the new machine. Can yoy please let me know what do. My knowlegde in very limited.

How can I fromat SSD and reinstall Win 7 64 bit.

Can I use Win 7 DISKPART and what is the format command ?

I am stuck. Please help

tecmo34

Administrator
You want to do a Secure Erase with HDDErase.exe; which is a DOS-program. It may also be included in a boot CD-ROM like Ultimate Boot CD or Hiren's Boot CD. This is easier to use as these may already include HDDErase. Basically, you want to download and use the Ultimate Boot CD to format your SDD. You will have to do a fresh install, as everything will be gone :)

interfaceman

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

I am having hard time to download ultimate Boot CD. I did once and CD does not boot up. It says something "Linix". Is ther a windows version ? Do you have anything I can download ? I will appreciate.

Thank you,

interfaceman

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

I down loaded Ultimate Boot CD two times. Both are iso file and used ISOburn to create CD. When I start PC from CD, it gives me following error:

"ISOLINUX 3.86
ISOLINUX:DISK ERROR 80, AX=4253
Boot Failed , please press any key to delete"

Do you think I am installing LINUX version ? DO you know any place had Windows one. Please let me know.

Thanks,

interfaceman

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

Thank You. I am downloading now. I also have Hirens.BootCD.11._9Down.com.rar file. But is there anyway to extrat that ? I tried ZIP and does not work. Also this morning I tried to install the UBCDwinv350 and it is asking me Source directory > Is the source my c:windows. ? It says cannot find C;\windows\386.??

interfaceman

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

Ok.. I just downloaded the file UBCi4win.exe file and ram setup, it installed icon in my desktop and ran the following:

Searching C: ( SSD)
Searching D: (WD Drive)
Searching E: (Windows 7 DVD DISK)
Searching F: ( CD_ROM Drive)

Number of valid source code found 0

Am I doing something wrong here ??

interfaceman

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Hi Tecmo34,

Finally I made the bootable CD for Hiren 11.0. My system is booting up from CD-ROM. I also changed back from AHCI to IDE mode. I selected HDD utility and HDD Secure Erase 4.0. Once I clicked ok to proceed, it stays there for long time. Does not ask me to select what hard drive to erase. Is there any tricks or other utility to erase my SSD. Please let me know.

Thank You,

interfaceman

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

Hi Tecmo34,

I need your help... I am stuck here man.

I got the Hiren BootCD 11.0 working and used HDDERASE 4.0 from cd-rom. The HDDERASE 4.0 just sits there with the curser blinking. I then read couple of other thread and got a bootcd with HDDERASE 3.3. Once I ran the utility, it sits ther and does not do anything. It does not find SSD or ask me anything.

I changed mobo seeting from AHCI to IDE. Configure CD-ROM as first boot device and ran. Is there any other seeting I am missing ? Or does my ASUS P7P55D-E Pro mobo ahs any issue ?

Please help... I am stuck and do not know anyone who had PC background..

Thanks,

You're not able to format the SSD from inside windows, because the drive is in use. It's what is running the operating system that you're trying to wipe out. Formatting the C drive always needs to be done outside of windows.

Your partitions above are fine. Those are just the file system and the storage space.

If you want to reinstall windows, my recommendation would be to just use the windows 7 disc, and use the format option. Look at the link here. Down at the bottom, you'll see another link to 'using the custom installation option and formatting the hard disk.' Click that link, and it'll expand to show you directions on how to do it. This will format your hard drive as it installs windows.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

Once you're done, and windows is installed, browse out to C:\windows.old....If that file is there, you can either restore some of your old files, or delete it. During the install process, windows creates that file to back up user data. It's a fail-safe that some like, and some don't.

Hope this helps...