Solved

Xps 410 Graphics Card Recommendations

Hey, I know this is sort of a repeat question and I apologize. I've been trying to sift through forums and the net for hours, so I figure I'd ask here.

I'm trying to find a sub $100 graphics card to upgrade to in my Dell XPS 410. It has 4gb ram and a 375w psu.
I think it has the Radeon x1300 series in it now, which is junk (256mb)

What is a good card that I can run safely on the 375w psu, as I don't wish to mess with upgrading this at the time. The upgraded card will be used for gaming (Starcraft 2, Diablo III, Wow). I've found a lot of graphics cards sub $100 but the whole 375w throws me off.

In addition, a general question. When a graphics card says, for example min psu 300w, is that taking into account the other components added into your computer, or is a 300 min recomendation going to overheat a 375w psu?

Thanks in advanced
53 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphics card recommendations
  1. How many amps on the 12V rail?
    If its around 30A you'll be fine with this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102901&cm_re=4850-_-14-102-901-_-Product
  2. That's the same PC I had!
    Anyway, I have already asked once here, and everyone told that is a good PSU, and it will be able to manage a 5770.
    So go for a 5770 if you can afford it, else get the 5750.
  3. Timop said:
    How many amps on the 12V rail?
    If its around 30A you'll be fine with this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102901&cm_re=4850-_-14-102-901-_-Product



    Err... not to be ignorant, but how do I find out how many amps on the 12V rail? I used to do hardware stuff, so 10 years ago I could have told you.. haven't messed with it in a while.
  4. thereaper123 said:
    That's the same PC I had!
    Anyway, I have already asked once here, and everyone told that is a good PSU, and it will be able to manage a 5770.
    So go for a 5770 if you can afford it, else get the 5750.



    Thank you; that card looks nice, but honestly, I'm looking for something under $100. Do you have any suggestions in that range?
  5. Quote:
    Thank you; that card looks nice, but honestly, I'm looking for something under $100. Do you have any suggestions in that range?


    Gts250 should work just fine
    Or a hd4850, but it consumes more
    Check here:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gts-250,2172-10.html
  6. If you want something even more cheaper I'd say it's not worth it.
    But if you want to, you can go even lower with gt240 and hd47xx series.
    There's also the hd5670, but it's not worth it.
  7. Quote:
    Err... not to be ignorant, but how do I find out how many amps on the 12V rail? I used to do hardware stuff, so 10 years ago I could have told you.. haven't messed with it in a while.

    Its on the sticker on the side of your PSU.
  8. Timop said:
    Its on the sticker on the side of your PSU.


    http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Dell-KH624

    Look like its only 18A?
  9. thereaper123 said:
    If you want something even more cheaper I'd say it's not worth it.
    But if you want to, you can go even lower with gt240 and hd47xx series.
    There's also the hd5670, but it's not worth it.


    I had actually looked @ the gt 240 but I wasn't sure. The money isn't the problem.. it's just the hearing about it from the wife factor since I blew a lot on a tv, xbox games etc.

    Also when buying a card, for example the gt 240. It's obviously a Geforce, but does it make a difference whether its Nvidia, PNY, Sapphire, etc?
  10. Quote:
    I had actually looked @ the gt 240 but I wasn't sure. The money isn't the problem.. it's just the hearing about it from the wife factor since I blew a lot on a tv, xbox games etc.

    Also when buying a card, for example the gt 240. It's obviously a Geforce, but does it make a difference whether its Nvidia, PNY, Sapphire, etc?

    Every chip is different, but beside that whetever it's POV, Sapphire ecc it doesn't make much difference. Even though it doesn't make any difference in performance, they have different coolers, thus different temps.
    And also I'd say that the ones with a more famous name are a bit more reliable (atleast that's what everyone says, most probably because you get lower temps and thus lower fail raiting, and probably because they are welt in different ways).
  11. Quote:

    You have 2 18As, you have the E6600 right? Id say get that 4850, probably the best performing card for under the $100 you can get.
  12. thereaper123 said:
    Every chip is different, but beside that whetever it's POV, Sapphire ecc it doesn't make much difference. Even though it doesn't make any difference in performance, they have different coolers, thus different temps.
    And also I'd say that the ones with a more famous name are a bit more reliable (atleast that's what everyone says, most probably because you get lower temps and thus lower fail raiting, and probably because they are welt in different ways).


    Well which ones are the reliable resellers and which ones aren't?
  13. I was trying to dig a little more and find out more specs are the card I was replacing. It's from '06.. I stated it was ATI Radeon x1300 series.. I can't find what bit it is, but Catalyst says it's 256mb DDR2, 594Mhz Core Clock, 396 Memory Clock
  14. Timop said:
    You have 2 18As, you have the E6600 right? Id say get that 4850, probably the best performing card for under the $100 you can get.


    Copied the wrong number I think. Got E210882 off the motherboard. I know it's Intel Duo Core 6400 @2.13 ghz
  15. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102901&cm_re=hd4850-_-14-102-901-_-Product
    Cheapest I found. 80$ after rebate. Also Sapphire is a good brand.
    If I were you I'd overclock that cpu. It could bottleneck in some games.
  16. thereaper123 said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102901&cm_re=hd4850-_-14-102-901-_-Product
    Cheapest I found. 80$ after rebate. Also Sapphire is a good brand.
    If I were you I'd overclock that cpu. It could bottleneck in some games.

    +1, Suggested that in the first post, great card for the money.
    a high OC might overwhelm the PSU though.
  17. Timop said:
    +1, Suggested that in the first post, great card for the money.
    a high OC might overwhelm the PSU though.

    He won't be able to overclock much anyway. His bios are locked, so he can't have a higher vcore.
  18. Timop said:
    +1, Suggested that in the first post, great card for the money.
    a high OC might overwhelm the PSU though.


    That card looks good. I think I might order it; my psu can definitely handle it though w/o causing any system damage? I tried to look at the requirements but it doesn't list a psu req. or amp req.
  19. Quote:
    That card looks good. I think I might order it; my psu can definitely handle it though w/o causing any system damage? I tried to look at the requirements but it doesn't list a psu req. or amp req.

    Check here.
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2320914,00.asp
    226w on load with Core2 Extreme X9650 3.0Ghz.

    Some dells with the same psu have been shipped with a 8800gtx (or gt, I don't remember), and the 8800 uses more or less the same power of the 4850, so I'd say you're quiete fine.
  20. What is going to be the difference between 128-bit and 256-bit?
  21. Quote:
    What is going to be the difference between 128-bit and 256-bit?

    Its a thing to do with memory bandwidth.
    Theres no 128-nit HD4800s though. If you mean the HD5770s, it makes it up by using faster GDDR5.
  22. I just meant in general. The card I was going to get was sold out. Any other recommendations for this 375 PSU? Is there a speed/graphics difference in the same card say if its.. 128-bit compared to 256-bit? I guess price wise I was just noticing, for example say a card @ $90 would be 1gb and 128-bit with ddr3 or another card priced the same would be 512mb 256-bit with ddr-whatever. Just wasn't sure if there was a quality diff. in the 128 compared to 256
  23. Quote:
    I just meant in general. The card I was going to get was sold out. Any other recommendations for this 375 PSU? Is there a speed/graphics difference in the same card say if its.. 128-bit compared to 256-bit? I guess price wise I was just noticing, for example say a card @ $90 would be 1gb and 128-bit with ddr3 or another card priced the same would be 512mb 256-bit with ddr-whatever. Just wasn't sure if there was a quality diff. in the 128 compared to 256


    A 128 bit bus is way better than a 256 bit one. That's twice the bandwith. And a 128bit gddr5 is more or less equal to 256bit gddr3.
    You're most probably fine with 512mb. You will only notice a gain in performance only at really high reolutions (and just in some games).
  24. thereaper123 said:
    A 128 bit bus is way better than a 256 bit one. That's twice the bandwith. And a 128bit gddr5 is more or less equal to 256bit gddr3.
    You're most probably fine with 512mb. You will only notice a gain in performance only at really high reolutions (and just in some games).


    So on the bus you want a smaller bit? so 64 is better than 128?
  25. Btw thank you all for being helpful and patient. I know I'm being a pain; I'm just trying to re-educate on the whole what-the-heck is what on the graphics cards. You all are awsome.
  26. Quote:
    So on the bus you want a smaller bit? so 64 is better than 128?

    My bad, typo. A 256bit bus is a lot better than a 128bit one.
    Go for this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125236&cm_re=hd_4850-_-14-125-236-_-Product
  27. Here you can see some differences about these two cards:
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-radeon-hd-4670-review/10
    4850 has a little more power consumption but twice as performance as the 4670
  28. You could also look for GTS250s, theres a palit one for $100.

    (Or wait for the DDR5 4850 to go back in stock if ever, such a nice deal...)
  29. ^^^ +1.
    That gpu is equal to the 4850 and has 512mb extra ram just in case you want to game at 2560*1600.
  30. thereaper123 said:
    My bad, typo. A 256bit bus is a lot better than a 128bit one.
    Go for this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125236&cm_re=hd_4850-_-14-125-236-_-Product


    Looks good. And it'll be fine on my 375w psu? Btw, just out of curiosity, what happens if you get a card that uses more watts than your psu? Does it fry the board, card, psu? Melt?
  31. Btw I keep getting a pop up saying reply to message in mail to confirm account... but I never got one.. how do I get it to send one?
  32. Quote:
    Looks good. And it'll be fine on my 375w psu? Btw, just out of curiosity, what happens if you get a card that uses more watts than your psu? Does it fry the board, card, psu? Melt?

    That psu should be good enough. Of course we can't guarantee it.
    It "could" fry the board the board if it's really cheap quality, but I highly doubt. But most probably the system will be unstable and you will have random shutoffs.
    Still if you are worried about it get the gts 250, since it uses less power:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gts-250,2172-10.html
  33. Ok thanks for the info guys. My account never got the email so I couldn't verify it. Anyway. I'm throwing a wrench in your advice and I need new suggestions. Ok XpS 410 but...

    I'm going to buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022 PSU

    Now what suggestions for a good graphics card under $100? Still GeForce 9800 GT or Radeon 4850 or?

    Also... is that a good PSU? Thanks in advanced!
  34. RowdyLeprechaun said:
    Ok thanks for the info guys. My account never got the email so I couldn't verify it. Anyway. I'm throwing a wrench in your advice and I need new suggestions. Ok XpS 410 but...

    I'm going to buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022 PSU

    Now what suggestions for a good graphics card under $100? Still GeForce 9800 GT or Radeon 4850 or?

    Also... is that a good PSU? Thanks in advanced!

    That psu looks very good.
    I'd get the hd 4850 or the gts 250, thay are faster than the 9800 gt, for more or less the same price (unless you're buying an used one).
    I checked and I found this HD 4850 for 93+7$ after rebate, in case you want to save some cash other the other hd4850.
    I'm not from US so I can't help you much about this rebate thing.
  35. Best answer
    the OP does not need a new PSU, the 410 comes with a 375w PSU that can easily push a 4850/5750/5770/GTS250. I have an XPS 410 that is currently running a GTS 250 with the stock 375w PSU.



    here is a nice 250 that wont break the bank :

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127495&cm_re=GTS_250-_-14-127-495-_-Product

    don't bother with the 1Gb model as it performs the same as the 512mb version.
  36. Best answer selected by RowdyLeprechaun.
  37. OvrClkr said:
    the OP does not need a new PSU, the 410 comes with a 375w PSU that can easily push a 4850/5750/5770/GTS250. I have an XPS 410 that is currently running a GTS 250 with the stock 375w PSU.

    http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/Picture003.jpg

    here is a nice 250 that wont break the bank :

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127495&cm_re=GTS_250-_-14-127-495-_-Product

    don't bother with the 1Gb model as it performs the same as the 512mb version.


    Well I ordered it. I went ahead and got the PSU in case I wanted to add anything else; just do it all in one go. Wish me luck I'll let oyu know how it turned out!
  38. RowdyLeprechaun said:
    Well I ordered it. I went ahead and got the PSU in case I wanted to add anything else; just do it all in one go. Wish me luck I'll let oyu know how it turned out!


    good luck, keep us posted :)
  39. OvrClkr said:
    good luck, keep us posted :)


    Will do. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'm assuming all I need to do is remove the screws from the old PSU, unplug the connectors and the new one just needs the wires wound through the same paths and the connections should all still be sized based right? Or has that changed from 8 years ago? Lol.
  40. RowdyLeprechaun said:
    Will do. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'm assuming all I need to do is remove the screws from the old PSU, unplug the connectors and the new one just needs the wires wound through the same paths and the connections should all still be sized based right? Or has that changed from 8 years ago? Lol.


    yep, plus that PSU is modular so you wont have to bother tucking away unused cables.
  41. Well the PSU worked good... unfortunately I cannot use the video card apparently. I put it in and theres 2 cables that came with it.. one is a small white cable that has 2 small 1 pin square plugs and the other is a power supply type connector that runs from the card to a white square plug with 3 prongs and 1 hole.. can't find anywhere to plug it in my XPS 410....
  42. The cables are an External Power Cable and and Internal SPDIF Power Cable. Why wouldn't my pc have a place for these?
  43. Err.. ok ... possible solution. This seperate power cord thing is new to me. I can't find a plac eto use the 2 cables that came with the graphics card, but... Do I use the extra pci express cable that came with the PSU, and run it from the PSU to the back of the graphics card? Is that sufficient? Just the one?
  44. Lol. Thanks a lot. You guys have been patient and helpful. Got it installed... it's funny because you'd think the instructions that came with the card would say more than .. open the box.. put card in pci-e.. close box... Oh well. I took the PCI E modular cable and ran it from the PSU to the card. Works great! Took SC2 from low graphics and choppy to Ultra graphics and smooth. THe wierd thing though, is the software that came with it says the core GPU is running at 48 degrees C but nothing feels hot... but thats like over 100 degrees F. Thanks!
  45. RowdyLeprechaun said:
    Lol. Thanks a lot. You guys have been patient and helpful. Got it installed... it's funny because you'd think the instructions that came with the card would say more than .. open the box.. put card in pci-e.. close box... Oh well. I took the PCI E modular cable and ran it from the PSU to the card. Works great! Took SC2 from low graphics and choppy to Ultra graphics and smooth. THe wierd thing though, is the software that came with it says the core GPU is running at 48 degrees C but nothing feels hot... but thats like over 100 degrees F. Thanks!


    use MSI's Afterburner and create a fan curve, it will keep the card nice n cool at idle/load.

    http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

  46. OvrClkr said:
    use MSI's Afterburner and create a fan curve, it will keep the card nice n cool at idle/load.

    http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

    http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/new_curve.png


    I've got afterburner installed.. what do I need to do for the fan curve just check the box and set it to 5000 liek yours? Is there anything else I should do with that program? I really didn't mess with it; was afraid to mess stuff up.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product