• Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • ATX
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
November 25, 2010 9:32:34 PM

Hey,

I would like to put a new mobo(ATX) in my pc. My Computer is a DELL DIMENSION 9150 and it is (BTX). How would i convert the case from BTX to ATX. What tools would i need because the case is a hard metal. The case is very nice and I would like to keep it. All suggestions are welcomed.

Thanx in advance

More about : turn btx case atx

a c 243 ) Power supply
November 25, 2010 9:58:40 PM

You would have to remove the motherboard tray and case back and replace them with ATX compatible, would take far more work than it would be worth in my opinion.
m
l
November 25, 2010 10:15:08 PM

not easily possible. BTX specified a totally different motherboard layout.

and an atx motherboard may not even fit in the case at all.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
November 25, 2010 10:22:44 PM

Hi dman13xx,

If your case does not have the ATX mounting holes on the diagram below and if you are a good handy-man, and the ATX mobo has room to fit in your case, you can create a template from these measurements(Pictured Below) and drill out holes(I do not know size, must fit the stand-off screws) and you may want to tap them but you could probably get away without doing so, if your drill just the right size holes. IMPORTANT - I believe the right side of the picture is the top when it will be in your PC case.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attac...

This link has a diagram with detailed dimensions of an ATX motherboard.
m
l
November 25, 2010 10:24:52 PM

Quote:
rand_79

The Case is big enough when you remove the fan duct to the heatsink for the cpu, an atx motherboard should fit(Ill probably get a new fan and heat sink so room wont be a problem). An you are right its not easy at all but what tool would i use to cut the metal.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
November 25, 2010 10:53:59 PM

Dremel , grinder, sawzall.
Good luck.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
November 26, 2010 1:06:08 AM

Hey dman13xx, is this a picture of your PC?

http://img.tomshardware.com/de/2006/07/04/vergleichstes...

If it is you have quite a bit of work to do and unless your are one who likes to take on a project like this just for fun then I say have at it, but if your not that kind of person that enjoys that, be expected to be hard, long, and painfull process where you may not succeed.

Another thing to consider is that you are going to make your old parts useless unless you plan on junking them or selling them, otherwise you'll need another case to house them in anyhow.

You may be best off getting a nice budget case instead, like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
November 28, 2010 12:32:25 AM

Best answer selected by dman13xx.
m
l
November 28, 2010 4:05:45 AM

dman13xx said:
Quote:
rand_79

The Case is big enough when you remove the fan duct to the heatsink for the cpu, an atx motherboard should fit(Ill probably get a new fan and heat sink so room wont be a problem). An you are right its not easy at all but what tool would i use to cut the metal.

Well its an OEM case.. i've seen some pretty wonky ones.
m
l
!