bgarrant

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
I am looking for some advice from the experts. I just purchased a i7 950 CPU and a Cooler Master V8 Heatsink. I was going to install it in my HAF 932 case, but was wondering if there are any better heatsink out there that are easier to install (with replaceable fans without removing heatsink)? I have a GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R MOBO. I am using 12 GB of 1600 DDR3 OCZ so temps could get a bit warm. I do not really plan to OC the CPU much as it is used mostly for work. I do have a EVGA GTX 470 which can generate some heat, but the HAF 933 has 4 good fans as well.

Should I install the V8, or is there another good heatsink that is a bit easier to install and is lighter. Do I need to worry about the V8 breaking by board or damaging the CPU socket or Processor? What about the Corsair H50? Any others you guys can recommend or should I use the stock cooler?

Bryan

Do I have to take off my side fan on my HAF 932 if I use the V8?

Depending on what the word "much" means . . . well, anyhow . . .

With 12GB memory on the Gigabyte board (assuming 6 sticks), you might want to look at the Cooler Master 212+. It performs well for $30. Using all the slots, especially if the memory has heatsinks, can be an issue with coolers/fans.

If you have no overclocking plans, then even the stock cooler will be ok.. Going for an aftermarket solution in this case will still fetch benefits in terms of reduced temperatures and lower noise levels.. The V8 fits adequately to that profile and it looks good also adding some jaaz to your setup.. The installation procedure is a little pain for sure but don't worry about it breaking off from the motherboard.. And yes, there are better solutions available but since you have already bought it, i'll say you stick with it.. Its still quite capable and will handle a stock (even a slightly overclocked) i7 quite nicely..

bgarrant

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

I do have the V8 already as it came with my bundle. The new version has spring screws it seems. How tight should it be secure to the board with the backplate nuts? The springs I think protect it from over tightening. Do I tighten all the way as it may bend bracket or just until MOBO flex. I do not want to damage board or CPU. I worry that when I turn case upright it will not make good contact with the CPU. Also, do I stick the rubber washers to the spring screws or MOBO? Since I have to place heatsink down on board I assume I stick them to the spring screws? http://www.coolermaster.com/upload/download/320/files/LGA1366_InstallationGuide.pdf

bgarrant

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

I have this combo with the addition of 6 GB more (3 x 2GB), a EVGA GTX 470, 120GB SSD. Does not look like mem has heatsinks. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.549129

bgarrant

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

can this heatsink attach to the 3 pin CPU_POWER to control speed or do I use another connection? I think SYS_FAN2 is a 4 PIN, but how can X58A-UD3R board regulate cpu fan speed?

Tight enough lol. Seriously, the most important thing is to get even tension on all 4 corners of the heatsink/backplate sandwich. (Tighten one screw, the diagonal opposite, another, its diagonal opposite, etc).

When finished, the heat sink must not wobble loose - grabbing it and attempting to pull it sideways should immediately lead to torquing the mobo.

Just make sure that the backplate is secured tightly on the motherboard.. The spring screws need not be (actually cannot be also) tightened full end.. Just enough turns to make sure that the cooler is in its place secured from all the four ends.. You can check for gaping by lifting the cooler after securing it on the motherboard..

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
I have a HAF 932 with a CM V8 and it fit easily...plenty of slack left also, no need to remove any fans or anything. The V8 is heavy but I built my PC exactly a year ago on this day, on thanksgiving lol, and my board works fine, I had the same concerns but the boards easily handle it, especially with the backplate for the V8, it spreads it's weight out so widely that the board should easily handle it. V8 is a great cooler though :).

bgarrant

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

did you tighten it down to the end of spring screw (it pops) or just hand tight until snug as others have stated?

bgarrant

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

How much did you tighten down the nuts on the back of the board? All the way or just until the board started to show stress? Did you just hand tighten or use a screwdriver? I can only hand tighten mine and I think it may be incorrect. The rubber pads stick to spring screws correct and go on top of MOBO socket?

bgarrant

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

when you tighten it down, did the back plate bend a bit for the V8? I installed mine with tabs towards the board as shown in instructions, but as I tighten it bends a bit. The 1366 plat has 4 tabs with insulation on them. There is also insulation on backplate that faces the outside of the case.

The backplate need not bend.. I'll reach home and take some photos and try to upload them.. That might be of some help.. Till then, try and search on the web regarding reviews for the V8.. The installation procedure might be shown there along with diagrams..

Tillman32

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Is the best air cooler for the money. It performs as well as the 100 dollar coolers but for a much much cheaper price.

Keeps my Warm Phenom II x4 955 OC to 4.2 GHz idle 31c and load 51c

I added the second 120mm fan in a push pull setup

2010-11-27045525.jpg

bgarrant

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

Thank you very much. :)

bgarrant

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

I like that cooler as well, but I already have the V8 so I will just use that. I like the push/pull setup.

hogan773

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010

Thanks for making me feel good. I picked this up over the weekend on the $14.99 AR sale - figured that's gonna end up being a very good price/performance ratio

Tillman32

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Yeah, I got buddies with the same CPU but they spend $80+ on theirs and I get the same performance.

And yeah Newegg.com has it for 15 bucks after rebate ( And CoolerMaster Is good about rebates )

bgarrant

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

I have a V8 cooler and I may sell it on eBay and get a Cooler Master 212 with push/pull. WOuld it perform better? What is the fan I need to get to match the original? Does all air flow from right to left to back of case? |CASE FAN|<-FAN|CM212|FAN<-

Tillman32

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Correct It pulls air from near the RAM and pushes it through right to the other fan that sucks it out right to my back exhaust fan.

In my opinion, the hyper 212 is going to cool better for a few reasons
* 2 120mm Fans
*Copper Heat pipes
*Copper Base

The fact that you can only have 1 fan on the V8 ( its also a fan that they give you so its not going to be fantastic )

With the 212 you can attach ANY 120mm fan, this means you can spend 20 bucks on 2 120mm fans by cooler master that push 90CFM which is amazing for a 120mm fan with only 20db.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103063

I plan on 2 of those soon. So for less then the cost of 1 v8 you can get a hyper 212 with 2 AMAZING fans and have better cooling.

Either one is going to do the job, it just depends on how high you want to OC and how much of a temp freak you are.

If it were me id sell the v8 spend 30 - get the 15 MIR and then spend 5 more dollars on those 2 fans.

TRENDING THREADS