I5-661 or i5-750 for HTPC?

frankiefoo

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Hi there, I'm looking to build a HTPC (5-8 hours daily) that also could be use for some moderate gaming (FPS, racing, sports).

I have a choice of i5-661 or i5-750 as processor (both at same price!) and I'm going to slap a HD 5770 with it.

I'm stuck between the two as I read online that i5-661 is really power saving when compared to i5-750, but i5-750 is have way much more performance.

Another question. Is i5-661 up to par with the modern games like Dirt2, Black Ops? Cos I want to build the HTPC which could stand for another 3-4 years. Is a quad core for a HTPC is overkill?

Thanks.

Solution
If both processors are priced the same, there's no question the 760 is the better value by far. Its not even a fair question lol.

If you are trying to keep heat and noise down . . . the usual goal of HTPC . . . and are wanting to use an HTPC case . . . the i3 might still be the better cpu.

If you are wanting to play the popular games at high detail at 1920, the i5 is the right cpu. Or, you can use the friendlier i3 and throttle back the game details a bit.

Its all about choices.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
With only a 5770 doing moderate gaming definitely go for a dual core, the i5-750 will be a little overkill.

But! The i5 dual cores are very overpriced, and NOT worth the premium performance wise. They simply offer 'turbo (slightly overclocking CPU automatically, nothing too significant), a higher multiplier (hence the higher stock clocks) and maybe a better on-board GPU (zero significance, to you).

Go for one of the i3 dual cores. They still have hyper threading and are killer gaming CPUs.

Newer Intel quad cores are very overkill for HTPCs (IMO), however cheaper Athlon II quads are more common.

frankiefoo

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010

What if the both the processor is priced at below 100 USD (got a good deal from my friend)? will it affect your choice?
Anyway, the choice of GPU is unconfirmed yet, might go with a more high end GPU.

If both processors are priced the same, there's no question the 760 is the better value by far. Its not even a fair question lol.

If you are trying to keep heat and noise down . . . the usual goal of HTPC . . . and are wanting to use an HTPC case . . . the i3 might still be the better cpu.

If you are wanting to play the popular games at high detail at 1920, the i5 is the right cpu. Or, you can use the friendlier i3 and throttle back the game details a bit.

Its all about choices.

Solution

xreonx

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
i3 way to go for gaming 530 or 540 really your wasting your money if you thing off i5 or even i7
i3 run at 4.07gz cool as, enough push any video card along

xreonx

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
had i3 got i5 now games are no better wasting my money ..i have overclocked both off them ..you know nothing better
i5 better in normal use little faster but in games nope they really the same

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008

Assuming we are talking about the quad core i5s...

You couldn't tell a difference because the i3 was plenty to keep up with you GPUs, and/or you played little/no quad-core optimized games.

For 'normal use' the CPUs will perform the same.

You need to upgrade your graphics card(s) if you want benefit from i5 over your old i3.

TRENDING THREADS