Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia 9800GT GREEN won't work

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 29, 2010 10:30:51 PM

Hello,
9800gt 1024MB green edition just turned up in box. Fitted it into PC,. no image on VDU. Strange 2 long bleeping sound occurs when switch on PC
Specs PC

Windows Vista OS
350W power
Board: FUJITSU SIEMENS MS-7293VP 2.00

CPU:

Intel Core 2 Duo

Chipsets:

- North Bridge: VIA® PT890

- South Bridge: VIA® 8237A

PCIEx16 slot

is there a compatibility issue graphics card with VIA chipsets or power supply causing the problem ie insufficient power poss need 450W min etc?

Can anyone advise please before I do wrong thing eg buy new PSU?
July 29, 2010 10:34:03 PM

remove cmos battery
a c 171 Î Nvidia
July 29, 2010 10:39:06 PM

From the VIA forums :-
Quote:
There is a known issue between PCI-E 2.0 cards and some first-generation PCI Express chipsets, primarily VIA. The solution is simple enough, a modification to the VGA BIOS that allows the card to boot (initialize) in PCI-E 1.x mode.

NVIDIA was foremost affected because it was first to ship PCI-E 2.0. By the time ATI's first PCI-E 2.0 boards shipped, this issue was already coming to light, allowing ATI to implement the change from the start. Unfortunately, a few ATI and NVIDIA partners are somehow managing to still ship boards with the incompatible VGA BIOS. A few manufacturers are supplying affected users with an updated VGA BIOS upon request to flash their cards.

Link.
Related resources
July 29, 2010 10:52:38 PM

power is insufficent for one and as mousemonkey quoted, another great VIA thing - it just will not work, and that board's performance just sucks (anything VIA) anyway.

Also being an MSI board... uuuffffff.
July 29, 2010 11:09:53 PM

OK thanks all for replies

I think I'll try flashing the BIOS (however, thats done) and failing that maybe getting a super dooper PSU (with say 600W supply)

I guess if that doesn't all work then at least I have 2 components for a PC that I may decide to build (and may rape anything else from this donkey of a PC but not the motherboard that's for sure!)

Thanks for your replies
!