Sign in with
Your question

Will This System Run Smoothly

Last response: in Systems
September 4, 2010 1:45:48 AM

Hey Everyone,

This is gonna be my first post, so go easy on me.
After spending months of researching on the net, I am finally ready to take the plunge. However, just to make sure all components will fit and play nicely I would really like some feedback from you guys.
I already bought parts for this build, but i still have to press the buy button on the Cpu, Motherboard, Graphic Card and Tv Tuner.

I compiled the Htpc with several points in mind.

* Reasonable energy efficiency
* As quiet as possible considering the components
* Good performance in games, HD encoding, and design suites (photoshop, premiere, illustrator)
* Ability to play HD media (BR) and record HD TV

The main components are the following:

Case
Antec Fusion Remote Silver already ordered

Cpu Cooler
Scythe Big Shuriken S754 already ordered

Power Supply
ATX Sharkoon RUSH POWER 500W Modular (80 Plus) already ordered

Ram
2x2048MB OCZ Gold Edition DDR3-1333 CL9 Kit already ordered

Hard Drive
2000GB Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 7200U/m 64MB already ordered

Additional Cooling

• Titan TTC-HD92 - Passive Hard Drive Cooler already ordered

• 2 x 120x120x25 Scythe Slip Stream "Kaze-Jyuni" - To replace the Fusion Remote Fans already ordered

Motherboard
    ASUS P7H55-M-USB3 Motherboard not ordered

CPU
    Intel Core i5 760 not ordered

Tv Tuner
    Leadtek Winfast PxDVR3200 H PCIe not ordered

Graphic Card
    MSI ATI Radeon HD5770 Hawk 1GB not ordered

Optical Drive
    Samsung SH-B123A 12X Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive not ordered

Operating System

• Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - For Work, Games etc.
  • Mythbuntu - For TV and Media - MythTV and XMBC combination

The system will connect to a 50" Plasma (Full HD) TV, and controlled to a Logitech Harmony Universal remote and some random Ebay bluteooth mouse/keyboard combination.

At the moment I am still wondering whether or not the Graphic card and the tuner card will fit together into the system. I am fairly sure that the Graphic will fit (but not as sure as I would like to be, before buying it). The tuner card on the other hand seems absolutely mammoth, judging by picture I found of it on the internet (I couldnt find any dimensions for it). Will the tuner card fit?

Am I missing anything else? Please feel free to comment on this build, I really appreciate your input.

Thanks

• More about : system run smoothly

a b B Homebuilt system
    September 4, 2010 11:45:21 AM

The only issue I see is with your GPU. It is a three slot card with the additional cooler, so your PCIe slots will be covered, so you can't use your TV tuner. You would be better off getting the Sapphire Radeon HD5770 1GB... IMO
    m
    l
    September 5, 2010 3:00:35 AM

Hm,

Are you sure about that?

techPowerup seems to think its only a 2 slot configuration, or are you referring to problems regarding the height of the card?
    m
    l
    Related resources
    a b B Homebuilt system
    September 5, 2010 11:11:19 AM

No... I stand corrected. Based on the images I saw, it looked like a three slot card. I didn't see the image you provided with it flat on the surface. It is a two slot card.

I can't see where height will be an issue, as I'm seeing others using a 5770 in their case.
    m
    l
    September 5, 2010 11:55:26 AM

You got me scared there for a second :)  Anyhow, what are your thoughts on the tuner card? I think I might have to choose a different one considering the poor linux suppport for the leadtek one (for myth use). What tuner are you using?
    m
    l
    a b B Homebuilt system
    September 5, 2010 1:22:44 PM

I currently don't use a Tuner in my system or have an HTPC. As for tuners, I'm a fan of Hauppauge brands but they are twice as much as the one you listed at your site.
    m
    l
    September 6, 2010 2:38:42 AM

tecmo34 said:
    I currently don't use a Tuner in my system or have an HTPC. As for tuners, I'm a fan of Hauppauge brands but they are twice as much as the one you listed at your site.

That's what I have been pondering about too. However, I would like to use Ubuntu for TV and Movies etc. and the Leadek support in Linux is apparently very poor.

Is there another card that is closer in price to the Leadtek but provides good Linux support?
    m
    l
    !