Closed Solved

1gb vs 768mb - gtx460

Wondering whether waiting and investing in the more expensive 1gb is a good deal. I usually run my games at 1680x1050 and would very much like to play starcraft2 with full graphics. Thoughts?

I read this article which seems to say it doesnt always matter:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-ram-4870,2428.html

however I have seen benchmarks with the 1gig model consistently having larger framerates...

Is more ram better for larger resolutions?
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 768mb gtx460
  1. Best answer
    scales said:
    Wondering whether waiting and investing in the more expensive 1gb is a good deal. I usually run my games at 1680x1050 and would very much like to play starcraft2 with full graphics. Thoughts?

    I read this article which seems to say it doesnt always matter:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-ram-4870,2428.html

    however I have seen benchmarks with the 1gig model consistently having larger framerates...

    Is more ram better for larger resolutions?


    If you're playing at 1680*1050 the 768mb is enough. You will also be able to max starcraft2 and 99% of the games at that resolution.
    If you want to sli later, or want a "more future proof" gpu than get the 1gb one.
  2. cant I sli with the 768?
  3. scales said:
    cant I sli with the 768?

    Yes, you can sli a 768 only with another 768.
  4. I would pay the extra $30ish to get the 1GB model, you dont necessarily need the extra memory, but the 1GB model comes with a wider memory bus which helps boost performance a bit.
  5. I would get the 1GB version, for the price difference its deffinitely worth it.
  6. ok all, thanks for the input. starcraft 2 is pretty laggy on my system, i may need to upgrade.

    core 2 duo 2.1 e6400
    2gb ram
    ati x1800xt
  7. For games, i would also say get the 1GB version as well. If you was running something different on the gpu, It would depend on the app.
  8. anyone else with a similar machine noticing lag on starcraft2? i am just playing a skirmish against a computer opponent.
  9. For a 22" monitor @ 1680x1050 it doesn't matter. If you're on a stricter budget get the 768MB model. The difference in framerate at that resolution will be imperceptible. I've read a lot of reviews and there is some difference at 1920x1200, but even then its not huge.
  10. scales said:
    anyone else with a similar machine noticing lag on starcraft2? i am just playing a skirmish against a computer opponent.

    I'm not sure if it's "similiar", but I have an integrated gpu hd4290 and a x6 1055t and I get 15-20 fps at 1024*768 medium settings. I'm sure that's my gpu bottlenecking lol
    Still if you want you can try to overclock your cpu and see if you get better performance. I know that sc2 is heavy cpu dependent.
  11. jeffredo said:
    For a 22" monitor @ 1680x1050 it doesn't matter. If you're on a stricter budget get the 768MB model. The difference in framerate at that resolution will be imperceptible. I've read a lot of reviews and there is some difference at 1920x1200, but even then its not huge.

    What he said. Still if you want to sli get the 1gb one. But remember, even if you get a 768 and you want to upgrade later, you can still sell it and buy a better one.
  12. Best answer selected by scales.
  13. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Starcraft 2 Graphics