Wireless "N" Modem / Router v. ADSL 3Mbps

greenfinch_73

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Hi.

If I have an ADSL internet connection that's about 3Mbps, is there any point in me getting one of the new Wireless N Modem / Routers to speed things up?
As I understand it, wont the router (whatever its type) always be limited by the speed of the line?
Please help me to understand this.

Thanks.

G

Is the 3mbps the actual measured speed or the max speed claimed by the ISP ? Have you compared speed with wireless and with wired ?

If you are presently using wireless 802.11g I suspect you probably will not enjoy any great increase in speed from n unless your actual ISP speed is greater than 20mbps.

A better bet is to optimise your present wireless setup to improve reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.

greenfinch_73

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
3Mbps is the ISP's claimed speed.

I am using 802.11g equipment, so bearing in mind what you say I think I should stay with my present set-up.

So, 802.11n is just for people with a fast internet connection?

G

"So, 802.11n is just for people with a fast internet connection?"

Well, not everyone only uses wireless for the internet only. If you have big files to move around and must use wireless the real-world speed of 11g (probably half the claimed 56mbps) might be a problem.

venturebrower

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
"So, 802.11n is just for people with a fast internet connection?"

Well, not everyone only uses wireless for the internet only. If you have big files to move around and must use wireless the real-world speed of 11g (probably half the claimed 56mbps) might be a problem.
I'm going to expand on the question here a little...

If I'm running a Gigabit NIC connected via Cat6 to my wireless G router that is acting as a repeater that is recieving it's WAN signal from another broadcasting wireless G router that is directly connected to a DSL 6Mb/s connection (tests at 3.2Mb/s download), would there be any real advantage for the upgrade to N? I do use this connection for streaming movies occasionally.

Client--------->G router---------<wireless signal>------------>G router-------->6Mb/s DSL

Thanks for any advice.