Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Another Mixing Memory Question.

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
July 22, 2011 5:43:37 AM

I have an Asus borad and 12 GB of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 ram. 3 pack of 2X2gbs of the same TW3X4G1333C9A memory, same timing, voltage and latency. I was told that this was mixing and wasn't recommended. My question is why is this mixing modules and will it work in dual channel mode? I've read other threads here on tom's that stated you could mix different brands, and timings.

More about : mixing memory question

a b } Memory
July 22, 2011 5:34:09 PM

What asus board? AMD, Intel, wtf? Were not mind readers so how could we tell you if it's dual channel mode???? If it's a X58, then it's triple channel, if it's not, it's dual channel.

How is using 6 dimms that are exactly the same considered mixing modules???

You totally lost me.
m
l
July 22, 2011 6:44:27 PM

geekapproved said:
What asus board? AMD, Intel, wtf? Were not mind readers so how could we tell you if it's dual channel mode???? If it's a X58, then it's triple channel, if it's not, it's dual channel.

How is using 6 dimms that are exactly the same considered mixing modules???

You totally lost me.

The board is an Asus P6T6 WS Revolution LGA 1366
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/P6T6...

The Memory is Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
240-pin DIMM
9-9-9-24-2T
XMS3-9-9-9-24*1.5v

I went to Corsair's memory compatibility chart to see if my memory was compatible with my motherboard. Their chart recommended another type memory TR3X6G1333C9 but it's was same as my TW3X4G1333C9A across the board. Same memory type =DDR3-1333 (XMS3-9-9-9-24*1.5v), same format =240-pin DIMM, and same latency =9-9-9-24-2T. So I asked on their forum if it would be okay and was told that it was mixing modules because I got them in 3pks of 2X2gb and not as one 12gb kit. It was late it sounded crazy to me too so I came here. As I mentioned it was late when I posted this thread so forgive me for leaving out important details.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b } Memory
July 22, 2011 7:01:11 PM

Oh your just wanting to know if you can use THREE 4GB kits instead of ONE 12GB kit? LOL, why didn't you just say that?

Your fine, all the sticks are matched in pairs and all exactly the same. A 12GB kit would be no different except they would all be in one package instead of three.

You made the question so difficult, the people on the forum were probably not understanding what exactly you were asking.
July 22, 2011 7:07:46 PM

Best answer selected by tinmann.
m
l
July 22, 2011 7:16:03 PM

This was Corsair tech and they really had me confused. It was earlier in the night when this started and I was quite coherent then. After searching 6 hours of mixing memory threads my faculties may have been a bit tattered by the time I finally posted so I do apologize for babbling.
m
l
!