What PSU would your recommend...

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlot21

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
... for this system?

I've just upgraded my system and I'm thinking the current PSU is good enough for the configuration. One thing that lead me to this is one of the hard drives turning on and off when PC is one (not in standby or anything).
So this is what I have:

Asus Rampage Extreme III
Core i7 980X
3 x 2GB G.Skill 2000MHz memory
Asus Nvidia GTX260
Creative X-fi Elite Pro
OCZ RevoDrive X2
5 Samsung Hard Drives each of 1TB capacity @ 7200 RPM
LG DVD writer

running in Cosmos S (4 active fans)

current PSU is Thermaltake 700W

1. Am I correct in saying that the current PSU can hardly cope with the power requirements of the system?
2. What PSU would you recommend for my system, also considering I will have to upgrade the GPU at some point (soon hopefully)?

Basically I just want to make sure everything works ok in the current configuration. I am aware of that fact that HDD drive configuration is not the best, and I will probably use a 3TB drive instead of 3 1TB HDDs in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Chip

Solution
You would hardly touch 400W if you haven't overclocked.

delluser1 has lots of cooling goodies in there and still he touches 500W.

Even you are considering a new card, if its a single card solution then you're fine with what you have. Even if you SLI with what you have then also 700W should be enough. GTX460 SLI barely crosses 450W.
1. No
I have
P6X58D
980x @ 4.0
3x2 Corsair 1866 Mhz
GTX 460 ( was GTX 260 )
4 x 500 g HD's ( Raid 10 )
LED Fan controller
DVD R/W
Card reader
Water pump / 6 LED fans

The highest power draw I've seen is 501 watts ( that's AC ) when running the power viruses ( Prime and Furmark )
It's always possible that your psu is faulty, but I would expect to see more than a HD dropping out.
Are you running a Raid ?
If yes, what software ?

You would hardly touch 400W if you haven't overclocked.

delluser1 has lots of cooling goodies in there and still he touches 500W.

Even you are considering a new card, if its a single card solution then you're fine with what you have. Even if you SLI with what you have then also 700W should be enough. GTX460 SLI barely crosses 450W.

Solution

That depends on what you're doing with it.
10ynpms.jpg

merlot21

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Ok, thanks loads guys!

@delluser1
Not running RAID and don't think I will, I have the RevoDrive X2 as a boot drive which has a built in RAID configuration, the other HDDs I use to store my media data.
Everything else is running perfectly, so I was in doubt whether it's the actual PSU or it may be just that hard drive. Either way, I will probably check myself how much power the system uses, with one of those software you mentioned (Prime or Furmark).

@hell_storm2004
I will use just one GPU even after upgrade so technically, it should be, at least if I don't overclock it.

Thanks again and sorry for my awful English in the first sentence (just realized). :)

merlot21

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Thanks. I've been reading posts on this forum for some time and I almost always found answers to my questions, not to mention other interesting facts; I suppose I needed an answer to a more specific question this time. Good to be here! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS