Sign in with
Your question

Computer issues.

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
July 22, 2011 6:03:20 AM

I used to play online games but I can no longer play them because when I log in to the game it immediately says critical error and I looked up the code and it says Memory, but I checked my memory and it still says the same thing as always. I am on a Gateway comp with XP. I am so confused by this because also I cannot watch yahoo videos anymore the sound will not work nor will my radio station sound work, but I can go to apple movie trailers and watch those just fine.

More about : computer issues

a c 104 } Memory
July 22, 2011 3:24:11 PM

1) Download and run memtest86+ to check for ram errors. You should be able to do several full passes with NO errors.
If you have an error, run the test on one stick at a time to identify the bad stick.

2) Is it possible that you have a virus or malware?

3) Are there updates to your drivers that might address the issue?

4) I suspect that a fix will involve reinstalling your OS if you can. That is a pain, and you might want to consider upgrading to windows 7 which runs better and is more secure.
m
l
July 22, 2011 5:36:23 PM

geofelt said:
1) Download and run memtest86+ to check for ram errors. You should be able to do several full passes with NO errors.
If you have an error, run the test on one stick at a time to identify the bad stick.

2) Is it possible that you have a virus or malware?

3) Are there updates to your drivers that might address the issue?

4) I suspect that a fix will involve reinstalling your OS if you can. That is a pain, and you might want to consider upgrading to windows 7 which runs better and is more secure.

Well I thought maybe it was a virus too so bought system mechanic for the repair and the virus program and it found three viruses and removed them but that still did not fix the issue. I am seriously considering reformating but that is such a pain and did not want to do that if I did not have too.
m
l
a c 104 } Memory
July 22, 2011 6:04:22 PM

cmlane1976 said:
Well I thought maybe it was a virus too so bought system mechanic for the repair and the virus program and it found three viruses and removed them but that still did not fix the issue. I am seriously considering reformating but that is such a pain and did not want to do that if I did not have too.

If you had some virus, particularly more thanone, there is no telling what they might have infected.
You will be at risk forever, and there is no certain recovery without a clean install.

Back up what you can to an external device and plan on a reinstallation.
Try using the windows easy transfer tool. That will export your files and settings to an external device , ready for importation later.
I strongly suggest windows 7. After install, you will have to reinstall your apps.
Download windows security essentials first, and scan all of the exported files before restoring them.
m
l
!