Sign in with
Your question

Looking at Samsung 830 128gb, can I do better for the money?

Last response: in Storage
December 12, 2012 1:15:29 PM

I am looking at a Samsung 830 128gb SSD for my desktop, it is £80 on amazon.co.uk. This is for the notebook version, with the only difference seeming to be that it comes without a mount, which seems steep for a £15 more.

Samsung 830 Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-2-5inch-Notebook-Access...

I would still need a mount, so I think this looks pretty reasonable:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dock-MB990SP-B-Dual-inch-Bracke...

I am looking on Amazon, because I am currently on the free trial for Amazon Prime and can get it delivered on by Friday for free. But would like advice on whether I do better for the money?

Motherboard Info - Medion MSI MS-7358
Manual: http://217.110.237.70/Manuals/7358-englv1.0-MS-7358forM...

Relevent excerpt:
SATA
- 6 SATA II ports by ICHSR (2 eSATA)
- 1 SATA II port by Marvell 88SE6111
- Supports storage and data transfers at up to 300MB/s

Thank you again, this community has been invaluable to me recently.
December 12, 2012 1:23:34 PM

Seems like a good deal, although I'm not familiar with pounds.
All of my SSDs are Samsung 830s due to their speed and reliability.
I have yet to have a single issue with any of them (up to four so far).

Plus, thanks to the introduction of the 840 series, they're pretty cheap right now and will likely be hard to come by soon enough.
I say go for it.
December 12, 2012 1:48:07 PM

I realise I have made a small typo, my motherboard has ICH9R or Marvell 88SE6111 SATA II Ports. What is the difference? I only intend to run with one hard drive (I think I can learn to live with only 128gb again).
Related resources
December 12, 2012 9:53:54 PM

I would use the ICHSR port since you're only going to run with one hard drive. Also, I have one 128GB 830 drive and it is amazing as aramisathei said. Earlier this week, I was planning to get a 256GB 830 drive, but with the launch of the 840, I've found them hard to get a hold of for a good price, so I'm probably going to get a normal 250GB 840 drive. Any SSD will give you pretty much the same performance and you won't see any difference between them apart from benchmark scores. Any SSD would be great, but I do recommend Samsung because my experience with their technology has just been 100% perfect.
December 12, 2012 10:13:38 PM

I have ordered one, I can't get a mount for next day delivery, so I'll just have to leave it loose in the bottom of my system for a few days. It does seem like the best option.

I've hit reply to you because of your line "but I do recommend Samsung because my experience with their technology has just been 100% perfect.", my monitor is a Samsung T220 Syncmaster, which is excellent, but my TV is a Samsung LE40A656, which has been a nightmare, cheap capacitors have failed on me a few times and required replacing, it also has a horrible grain effect in the bottom right hand corner around the size of a floppy disc. I've actually vowed never to buy another Samsung TV.

My bedroom TV is a 26" Panasonic, and I have been very impressed with the quality of it, and they are likely to get my money when it comes to replacing my TV.
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
December 13, 2012 8:56:27 AM

Good choice, but please make sure that you set SATA to AHCI and connect SSD to Intel controller to get best performance from the SSD.
December 13, 2012 9:59:40 AM

mad-max79 said:
Good choice, but please make sure that you set SATA to AHCI and connect SSD to Intel controller to get best performance from the SSD.

Is the AHCI setting done in the bios before I install Windows?
a b G Storage
December 13, 2012 10:09:05 AM

Yes.
December 14, 2012 11:34:04 AM

The drive is in and Windows 7 is installed and running like a dream, I haven't had chance to play any games yet as the wife has gone shopping and left me with the kids, bloody typical.

I've just bought SkyRim, and I'm eager to give it a go.
a b G Storage
December 14, 2012 5:37:03 PM

Install SkyRim on the SSD for best results! :) 

Enjoy!
!