My annoying network!

shovenose

Distinguished
my hardware: MODEM/4-port ROUTER/WIFI: 2wire 2700hg-b...
SWITCH: D-link "green-ethernet" 8port gigabit switch dgs-2208...

my problem: my internet works fine, because a powerbook g3 400mhz connected to a port on the back of the 2wire system can connect, also i can connect wirelessly...
using a cat6 cable between the 2wire thing and one of my copmuters (WinXP, core2duo, 10/100 ethernet),
it will just say "internet explorer cannot display this webpage" and firefox wont work either. however, according to windows xp, it is connected!
same when it is like this: 2wire--->gigabit dlink--->PC
thats how it is right now, and how i want to leave it. (i do want it to work, though
DURATION: 00:16:56
SPEED: 100.0 Mbps
BYTES SENT: 342
BYTES RECIEVED: 0

ADDRESS TYPE: Manually configured
IP ADDRESS: 192.168.0.1
SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.0
DEFAULT GATEWAY: ***blank***

PHYSICAL ADDRESS: 00-E0-4D-0E-8F-67
DNS SERVER + WINS SERVER: ***blank***

thank you very much even though u havent replied yet...

Why is the IP address on the PC configured manually? Isn't the router a DHCP server? With a blank default gateway, you'll never connect to the Internet. At a minimum you need to specify a valid default gateway and a reachable DNS, but it's easier to let the router do its job.

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Well... you need to find out what the internal subnet is setup for on the router, set the IP to one that resides on that subnet, set the default gateway to the router's IP, DNS you can use the google ones if you're in doubt... 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

shovenose

Distinguished
HOW???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010

In that case do what GhislainG said:

Go to the Local Area Connection Properties, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click Properties. Check Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically. Click OK.

shovenose

Distinguished
a new install of winxp on a different computer(athlon64X2) with dual gigabit ethernet ports is connecting just fine. so it definitly is my other computer that is the problem. i may just do a reinstall of xp on that thing!!!