Migrating data from HDD to new SSD

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 12, 2012 1:43:42 PM

Hi all!

I recently bought a new 180GB Intel 330 so that I could put Windows 7 Ultimate on it for speedy boot times as well as my most utilized applications (Steam, games, Chrome, etc,). My HDD is a 1TB Seagate Barracuda which contains about 500GB of data. I've already installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my SSD but I'm a little confused on exactly how to migrate data to my SSD. I've downloaded the Intel Data Migration Software which is made by Acronis but it seems that it simply wants to migrate 100% of the data on my HDD to my SSD (which would be impossible, of course, due to the storage differences between the two drives!).

I'm wondering if anyone could provide step by step instructions on how to port/migrate selected data only, and not the whole damn HDD!

Lastly, because I'm a noob at this kind of stuff, I'm not sure if I plugged my SSD into the correct SATA port. I remember seeing online that I shouldn't connect it into the Marvel port on the mobo. Went through my mobo's owner's manual and it didn't really say much about the topic. My mobo is the ASROCK Extreme4 Gen3.

I think that is all.

I apologize if I'm missing any info!

Jeff

More about : migrating data hdd ssd

a b G Storage
December 12, 2012 2:04:27 PM

If the SSD is working then it's plugged in OK. Migration is simple copy & paste operation. Highlight what you want to move (folder or file). Press Ctrl-C to copy to the clipboard. Highlight the destination folder and press Ctrl-V. If it's a large volume a progress bar will appear. That's it.
m
l
a c 164 G Storage
December 12, 2012 2:04:55 PM

1) You should connect the SSD to SATAIII_0/1 ports #13/#14 (Intel, manaul page13).

2) For steam game you can move them https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=741...

3) other programs like non steam games or chrome, you need reinstall them. You can't just copy and paste because the registry files you can't move.
m
l
Related resources
December 20, 2012 5:07:41 PM

Thanks for the reply guys!

Just getting around to configuring everything today as I've been super busy with school and finals, etc.

I installed all the required drivers today on my SSD (C: drive). Still haven't moved Steam or any games over from my HDD (which is F: drive). However, I still haven't uninstalled Windows 7 Ultimate from my HDD, which means I'm running the exact same OS on both my SSD and HDD (same cd key). Will that mess things up? Ideally, I'd like to uninstall it from my data drive (HDD), but quite frankly, I don't know the exact steps to take to do so.

Lastly, I can't seem to access anything on my HDD when I fire up my PC with the OS running on my SSD. When I unplug my SATA cable from my SSD and boot up using my HDD, everything is there and is accessible. For example, when I try and open my divX player on my HDD when I'm running my OS on my SSD, and error message pops up saying:

"F:\Program Files (x86)\DivX\DivX Plus Player\DivX Plus Player.exe

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrance.exe tool for more detail."

I've got some basic computer knowledge but some stuff is over my head, unfortunately.

m
l
December 20, 2012 5:51:01 PM

On a side note, not that it really matters but when I look at the Windows Experience Index, it still shows a score of 5.9 for my Primary Hard Disk score. This can't be right because it's the same score as it was before I installed my SSD. Odd...

EDIT: nvm, I did a re-test and that brought it to a 7.7 :) 
m
l
!