Tags:
  • Cooling
  • Socket
  • CPUs
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
November 26, 2010 11:26:32 AM

that wont break the bank. I got myself a hand me down 5410, but its going to live in my room for now and the 92mm fans are much too loud for that. I see noctua has a cooler for ~$80, but Im trying to spend less than 160 if at all possible. Any help? The only result I seem to get are Noctua and something similar to the stock Intel that is very loud (I know because we use them at work).

More about : socket 711 cpu cooler

a b à CPUs
November 27, 2010 2:35:10 AM

www.newegg.com

or go to eBay and type in "771 cooler" or whatever your socket is.

m
l
November 27, 2010 4:36:16 AM

Maybe you didn't read my post but I have looked, newegg carries exactly one cooler they list as 711 compatible which is the $70 noctua, and searching for socket 711 doesnt turn that cooler up. ebay will get you pretty much the same results. i've checked with specialty cooler shops, they all have 775/1366/1156 coolers, but no 711. I'm not asking because i don't know how to search, but because my search hasn't turned up anything and I figured someone on this forum (which I've lurked on for years) might have some idea. If my only options are really the noctua or fans as bad as stock i'll go ahead and get the noctua + mounting kits for about $200, but I was hoping someone knew of an alternative.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2010 5:11:07 AM

Try an e-recycle center. They have stuff since the 286!
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2010 5:13:18 AM

^ Those are for servers. I don't think he will get the best results.
m
l
November 27, 2010 7:23:40 AM

I also stated 'The only result I seem to get are Noctua and something similar to the stock Intel that is very loud (I know because we use them at work).' the dynatrons are loud as all sin. I was hoping someone who has actually worked with/used 5xxx series socket 711 systems could chime in.

The local places here don't have any 711's that don't have stock fans, I tried that as well.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2010 5:14:42 PM

Either get the Noctua or get a new system and retire the one you have.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2010 7:59:47 PM

perhaps you could just replace the current heatsink fans with new fans that are quieter?

or you could just not put it in your bedroom ideally.

not sure what you can do

you have 1 loud ass server, putting it in bedroom, dont want to spend money on it.

I'm out of ideas.
m
l
November 28, 2010 10:10:57 AM

I didnt say I didnt want to spend money, in fact i said I was trying to spend less than the cost of a a pair of noctuas if at all possible. ~$200 is a little ridiculous when Im used to spending $30 or so for quality quiet cooling, but if need be I will do so.

I just had about 10k in various hardware stolen, so retiring this one really isn't an option right now, I need at least 2 systems running and this is saving me quite a bit while I rebuild my network, I was hoping someone here would have working knowledge of another solution, obviously I was mistaken. I'll go ahead with the noctuas as I've tried to ghetto rig some stuff and it didnt work very well.

And yes I know another location would be ideal, obviously if it were an option Id have gone that route. I have roommates and the place isn't that big, I wouldn't want to run a loud machine in this house period.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2010 7:26:05 PM

^ You know, not all of us can get an answer we want. Sometimes we get what we get. Also, have you reported your stolen goods to the police...or are you just not wanting to go there right now? It is advised that you do. 10 grand is something one should not blow off!
m
l
December 4, 2010 8:13:48 AM

If anyone else happens to be looking

http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/Thermal/

SNK-P0034AP4

~$100 for 2 which makes me a lot happier than the ~180ish for the noctuas. They can be a bit of a pain to find in stock but I should have a couple in a few days.

Yes I reported the items stolen, I cant imagine why I wouldn't. Insurance is basically blowing me off for reasons I'm not going to get into, so at least for now I'm coving my losses.
m
l
!