Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cancelling SRT and Installing a new OS

Last response: in Storage
December 12, 2012 2:01:17 PM

Hi there everybody....
First of all i'm new to this magnificent site and I've really learned a lot from it...so thank you all
Second.....I've bought anew SSD (OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB) and since i was new to ssds' i searched the net for a way to install OS onto it and activate Intel SRT at the same time....but then i learned that i rally don't need intel SRT with a large space SSD.....So i want to cancel the cashing and reurn the 128gb of the SSD and then install OS on it So I can take the advantage of all the Space of the SSD.... and also i want to know the ACHI...RAID.....stuff
thank alot in advance.....
December 12, 2012 9:18:54 PM

Can anyone Help me!!??......

Best solution

a b G Storage
December 12, 2012 10:03:52 PM

with a 128GB ssd there is no need to use SRT. definitely install the os on the ssd.

plug your ssd in the first sata port. sata3 if you have it.

in the bios set sata to ACHI.

download parted magic and do a secure erase on the drive if you want to return it to how it was when it was new. you can skip this if you want.

then just reinstall windows on the ssd. if you are unsure about what drive you want to install windows on just unplug all hard drives except the sdd. after windows is installed plug the other hdd's back in.

Related resources
December 13, 2012 1:44:36 AM

Best answer selected by totta_fadil.
December 13, 2012 1:47:47 AM

jonjonjon said:
with a 128GB ssd there is no need to use SRT. definitely install the os on the ssd.

plug your ssd in the first sata port. sata3 if you have it.

in the bios set sata to ACHI.

download parted magic and do a secure erase on the drive if you want to return it to how it was when it was new. you can skip this if you want.

then just reinstall windows on the ssd. if you are unsure about what drive you want to install windows on just unplug all hard drives except the sdd. after windows is installed plug the other hdd's back in.

great man thank you alot.....i'll try it and tell you if i faced any problem
December 13, 2012 6:07:49 AM

Hi there....
So i installed the OS on the Vertex4 and everything wroks fine.....except that my HDD which is Segate Barracuda 2TB isn't shown in the Windows untill I swich the Sata to IDE mode instead of ACHI.....So what to do now??....
My mobo is Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3.....and i connect both the SDD and HDD to the white Sata ports here

so will it be any difference if i change the Ports.....????
a b G Storage
December 14, 2012 12:49:52 AM

are you still having the problem? you want your ssd plugged into the white sata3 ports so its using the intel chipset and not the marvel dark blue ones. it wont hurt to try plugging the regular hdd into the light blue sata2 ports. when you have it set to AHCI does the bios show your HD?
December 15, 2012 7:31:16 AM

Sorry about the delay.....i already tried to connect the 2TB HDD to the Marvell and the SSD to the Intel Sata controller and it worked......but i want to connect it to the intel sata 3 controller as well to have ahigher speed......and yes when i connect the HDD to the Intel Sata 3 it shows in the Bios but not in the OS.....
a b G Storage
December 15, 2012 4:33:57 PM

for the regular hdd the light blue intel sata2 ports will be fine. the regular hdd isn't fast enough to benefit from sata3 so it doesn't really matter if you have it plugged in sata2 or 3. you definitely want the ssd plugged into the white intel sata3 ports though.

did you install all the drivers from the motherboard driver page?

check to see if the drive shows up in Disk Management.

December 15, 2012 6:52:58 PM

jonjonjon said:
for the regular hdd the light blue intel sata2 ports will be fine. the regular hdd isn't fast enough to benefit from sata3 so it doesn't really matter if you have it plugged in sata2 or 3. you definitely want the ssd plugged into the white intel sata3 ports though.

did you install all the drivers from the motherboard driver page?

check to see if the drive shows up in Disk Management.

ok i'll try plugging it into intel Sata 2 and see if anything changes....and yes i have all new drivers installed....and as i said the HDD if connected to intel Sata3 it only show on Bios and not in Windows or disk-management....i'll try it and thank you....
December 17, 2012 12:24:35 AM

hi again everybody
i've tried to plug te hdd to intel Sata 2 but also not working in AHCI mode withe the SSD...only the marvel port works?????????
a b G Storage
December 17, 2012 2:38:47 AM

yea sorry i'm out of ideas. you could try resetting your bios to the default settings to make sure something wasn't changed.

you could try booting into a linux live cd or boot disk and see if they can see the hdd when its plugged into a intel sata port. if you can see it in a boot disk that would at least verify that its a problem with windows.
!